Changing of Ownership

Dei,

The Buick looks pretty complete from the pictures. How much work do you have left on it to make your dead line?

Actually Martin it is 'complete' but...... this is one of my two Buick High School cars. Therefore, I have maintained it as a driver all these years putting it through its paces and repairing things as they needed but when the brakes went on me and busy with life, sitting for awhile the torque ball seal started really leaking and.... then Dad gave me three of his antiques (the Overland, Whippet and Nash)!

To answer your question about the work needed:

1- torque ball seal

2- complete brakes including master cylinder

3- muffler, tail pipe and all brackets (dry rotting)

4- rebuilt carb (suspect due to sitting)

5- rear wheel wells inside (just noticed splits on both sides even though the last winter it was driven through was in 1975)

Sadly I'm not Jay Leno and I'm the only crew so.....

If you look at my thread on the BCA Forums entitled Me & My 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and... I will be posting my progress on the Special there.

I'm following your progress on your car and would love to go at my cars like you (and some others) are doing but once I get her back on the road again will enjoy answering everyone's eventual question, "So, are you planning on restoring it?":)

In the mean time I'm not going to stop work on the Whippet motor as I'm curious to see how it works out and possibly do a swap.

Thanks for your interest.

Edited by dei (see edit history)

Got up early and went over to the garage. I needed to move a few more things and had left the battery chargers on the riders over night since they have a few seasons on them. Also wanted to take advantage of the 50 degree dry weather.

Progress :D:

The Whippet has been sitting on the car trailer so all I had to do was back up to the garage, raise the tongue a bit and wench it down off the trailer into her spot again. A little more effort needed on the cleanup but have plenty of room to work on the motor.

post-36036-143142884687_thumb.jpg

Now it is the Riders turn to sit on the trailer for awhile.

post-36036-143142884692_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Called the shop regarding the Whippet starter today.

The report is that it has been soaking for some time as they were having difficulty getting it apart. I guess "stored under cover" means one should ask, "When and How long?" Given the condition of the clutch issue, really not surprised.

Not ready yet anyway and have the hand crank if need be so.... wait and see.

Picked up the starter today. It was quite the mess and difficult to take apart but... with one new bearing and brushes everything else checked out OK surprisingly.:)

With multitasking between the Buick and a new Bathroom addition in the basement.....

post-36036-143142921582_thumb.jpg

Edited by dei (see edit history)

Stopped at the garage after some shoveling of snow in the cold 10 degree windy weather and fired up the propane heater thinking I might get something done.......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]290407[/ATTACH]

All that was accomplished was putting the wrapped up starter on a somewhat cleared shelf now designated for Whippet parts. Since the garage isn't insulated, after an hour, decided I was just burning fuel for no gain.

I did take a shot of the engine number in the Whippet now. There is quite a difference between the two. Will be checking with the WOKR Group.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]290408[/ATTACH]

My contact with the W-O-K-R Public Forums is proving interesting.

From the information I have provided it seems I have the following:

One 1928 Willys Overland Whippet Cabriolet built in Toledo, Ohio

Vin no. (frame tag number) 207052

Engine no. (in the car now) 13162

Making this possibly an early Canadian built 1927 motor as there are no records for the 1927 motor year and the 1928 Canadian motor numbers started at 19404?

Engine no. (currently on the cart being cleaned) 96 56556

Making this a Toledo built motor and built in early 1927.

INTERESTING WHAT YOU FIND IF YOU ASK A BIT!

So, I guess I have a US built 1928 Whippet currently with a year older Canadian motor which I'm hoping to replace with a same year older US motor. At least it would make it an all US car (even with the year older motor).

Oh, but the rad badge is currently from a Canadian car only because Dad found one in better condition.

Any thoughts?

post-36036-143142933601_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It has been a while since I have posted here due to no real progress with the Whippet motor for a few reasons......

I've started this post three times tonight without success but will do so now by saying:

I have been busy with my Dad (& Mom) who is having health issues unexpectedly this past month or so. The prognosis will be determined next week after numerous tests and one operation so far.

I started this thread Changing of Ownership because Dad was willing to gift me his prides and joy if I was willing to accept them and for a few posts would like to pay tribute to him for all he has done and is still doing for me.

This coming May he will be 91 and if you have read between the lines know not only just how lucky I feel to have had him around this long but also so lucky to share with him what being a father myself has been like. His antique cars were what brought us together when I was that rebellious young know-it-all teen and by giving me my first car, one well used 1958 Buick Limited, is what really cemented it all.

One of many things that come to mind was his saying soon after his purchase of the 1920 Overland touring when I was 11 was, "If I had kept my first car (a 1926 Model T Ford Roadster) just think what it would be worth today". Not that this Model T Roadster was a special production vehicle or model but simply if he had kept it and what they were going for in the 70's just made him wonder out loud often in amazement.

Well, doesn't mom hand me some papers she thought I needed to have last week and I find in them an article I did not know he had sent to a local automotive writer Bill Sherk better known as The Old Car Detective about his Model T.

With Mr. Sherk's permission I have posted it here.

post-36036-143143006943_thumb.jpg

That's Dad behind the wheel who in 1941 would make him 17 years old.

See, Dad got the 'T' from his Grandfather as his first car. Dad gave me his Buick as my first car and I kept it all though it survives as a parts car for an identical Buick. I have kept the tradition alive by helping both my boys buy their first cars which my one son still has his and plans to keep it.

The picture below has a bit of a story.

post-36036-143143006953_thumb.jpg

It was taken at the farm where he was born in 1924 and the house still stands but is vacant now and most likely will be torn down soon.

As to the title Cuddle Buggy:

His naming it was because he would go UpTown on Saturday nights and cruise the four corners like all young teens do. This was of course during the War and because of being an only child on a farm he received an honorable hardship discharge to attend to the farm with his parents and grandparents. This made him somewhat outnumbered by the girls in town as most guys went off to serve when the draft was on. So, when pulling up to a group of girls he would ask if anyone wanted a ride? If one of them said sure, he would say, All right but "No Cuddle, No Buggy".

We have often laughed together about that as with me being 6' 4" and hardly able get myself into the Whippet to drive, I can't imagine getting 'cuddly' in those all too cramped quarters! ;)

post-36036-143143006938_thumb.jpg