Changing of Ownership

Well, the time has come.

My father has decided that he will gift me his PRIDE AND JOY'S due to soon loosing his drivers license at the age of 87.

Three cars are involved:

1920 Willys Overland Model 4 Touring, 1928 Willys Overland Whippet Cabriolet Coupe and 1951 Nash Canadian Statesman 4 dr.

I was 12 when he bought the Overland in 1967 which was a running car but he decided to rebuild the motor, and 14 when he bought the Whippet as a project car (which took 28 years to restore) and 15 when he bought the Nash from a co-worker with original paint and upholstery.

Today:

The Overland has it's original leather uphostery (really worn but original) and an older body repaint (1959) but new top and repainted fenders.

The Whippet has a body off restoration (amature but truly showable) with parts aquired from the East Coast to the West Coast both Canada and US including an NOS Gas Tank (a rare find in the factory box).

The Nash is an ORIGINAL, Dad bought from the second owner. It has 85% of the original paint, has seen only 1 use in a Canadian Winter (all documented), the original uphostery and other than a valve job at 50,00 miles and soon to be replaced U-joint all original drive train. It currently is about to turn over 100,000 miles.

I have over the years saved my cars that are special to me (all four, 1958 Buick's) but growing up with Dads cars and learning to drive stick shift on them has had that special thing that happens with cars. They may not be the Barret Jackson high dollar cars and highly collectible cars but they become the personal, memory kind of car that the average guy thinks about and wishes he was able to have, so....... Thanks DAD for the gifts.

post-36036-143138547195_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138547197_thumb.jpg

What a great gift! You're lucky to receive them, and your father is lucky to have a son with interest in the hobby.

So many times, that is not the case, and the legacy gets lost.

Have fun with them!

Thanks for the comments and......... let the fun begin.

Went to the garage last night late to pump up a tire on the Overland and tried to turn the tires by the steering wheel and .......... snap! The rod from the gear box to the passenger side wheel broke at the wheel. Thankfully it was in the garage and not on the Road! I need to go back tomorrow and take a good look at what exactly broke before I head off to the Wills Overland Dealership. (ya right)

Will be needing some help as to parts once I figure out what I need so...... will post pics later.

OK, have a few pictures of my problem. Hope some one can help.

One photo is of the steering end down on the floor showing the broken end that attached to the wheel. The other is at the wheel where it went through the hole. Can't find any bolt end of the broken piece if indeed that is how it is attached. Just know it was a distinct metal snapping sound when it broke.

Is this bar all one piece? Any leads as to parts?

Appreciate any advise, Doug.

post-36036-143138548458_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138548472_thumb.jpg

Doug, from what I can see you have lost the ball joint that goes into the steering knuckle. It is usually held into place by a threaded plug with a cotter key for safety. The ball is usually held in place by a plate that holds it into the knuckle. Your pics are not clear or close enough for me to really see on yours. This is how it is on my Buicks.

Unimogjohn,

Your explanation seems right since today a fellow antique car owner (Star and Durant's) said something similar. What is a mystery is where is the end that broke off ?!?!

The next question is...... where do I get a part to repair / replace this to get her back on the road safely?

Well, if I had this problem I would do the following. Attempt to get a illustrated parts book and shop manual for this car to determine what broke and what you need. If none is available, get a universal repair manual for the approximate year (ebay is good source) to get an idea on what you need and how to remove the parts. here is an example for Chev as will be close to your car. And you might contact the seller also to see if they have your car.

Chevrolet 8.5x11 Shop Manual 1918 1919 1920 1921 Chevy | eBay

And here is a book that might help also. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Willys-Knight-Repair-Manual-1915-1916-1917-1918-1919-/360319029287?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item53e4b01027

Do a Google search on the car and contact any clubs you see for parts and information. You should get close to the parts in question and take some good, closeup pics also.

Most of the cars of this era used the same or similar parts in the suspension. You may have to obtain similar and have a machine shop modify to fit your car's steering.

Also post your question on the Willys forum on this site to see if anyone can help. http://forums.aaca.org/f185/

Good luck and keep us updated. John

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

Thanks John,

Just spent an Hour with Dad trying to locate what he say's he has, a chassis service manual for the Overland but..... almost like looking for a needle in a hay stack., car literature EVERYWHERE!

Haven't had the heart to tell him what has happened yet.

Have contacted a few in the Willys Overland Knight Registry (WOKR) and waiting for a reply, need to spend more time on the Google search and will post a HELP on the AACA once I take a better picture(s) and remove the bar involved.

With Dad having turned 87 on the 4th and turning over ownership to me this month, it is my wish to take him and the Overland to the Orphan Car Show in Ypsilanti, Michigan this September. They have a drive / pass review that would thrill me to have him in the car.

Thanks for your suggestions. Any other help greatly appreciated, Doug.

post-36036-143138553309_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, yesterday was the official day to finish the paperwork on the cars. A monumental day for both of us as I was 12 when Dad bought the Overland and after that first ride was hooked on antique cars. He is thrilled that he does not have to worry what to do with them had I not been interested in them.

Here in Ontario our Government requires Safety Checks (a good thing) and Emissions Testing on cars 1987 and newer (a controversial / money grab in my mind but...) and the young lady after looking at all the paperwork of three cars asked where the E Test papers were? I tried to politely ask if she even read the dates of the cars before she asked and then her eyes opened up really wide and said What is an Overland???? Fun stuff educating some people about cars.

Another funny moment with the process was asking my mechanic to perform the Safety Checks. While he was familiar with the Nash, the Overland and the Whippet he had never seen. In order to qualify the paperwork he decided to come over to my garage to look at them and said, I have one question, do they run? After saying Oh Yes, he sat in the seats, tried the brakes, pushed in the clutches shifting through the gears (with nothing running) and said, All OK. Can't wait to run up to his garage one Friday and take him out for a ride! Said he might just have to make a photo copy of the Overland papers, frame it and hang it on the wall as it is the Oldest car he has done a Safety on yet!

Anyway, all and all a good day!

• 2 months later...

It has been a while since posting but......

WHAT A GREAT DAY!

Was asked if one of my "old cars" were running and available for a friend of a friend's 75th birthday party. Decided to try and get the closest one (1928 Whippet) going and VOILA!

First time out and running since 2007!

Naturally.... found a few leaks once everything warmed up..... hose clamps, water pump, oil pan gasket, rear end drip etc but...... amazingly, with fresh gas, fired right up, settled down to idol and pulled out of the garage like I remembered, only with me at the wheel instead of Dad.

Ended the day by stopping by his house and driving him back to "THE GARAGE" to which he said he had never sat in the passenger seat of this car!

After Dad left, my Son (22) and girlfriend showed up and wanted to go for a ride so.........

A TRULY GREAT DAY!

Now on to the Overland.

Hi Doug. Thanks for this post! Now you DEFINITELY need to join the "Willys Overland Knight Registry" {W O K R}! They are a fantastic resource for both Parts and Information. They have a monthly Newsletter, Quarterly COLOR Magazine and a great website! You'll have no real problem getting your parts (I hope!) Best Wishees with all the cars!

Thanks Fellows,

As to fixing with Baling Wire, ha ha. Yes something like that was done after Dad bought the car and the choke casting broke and he wired it up in the open position to get us back home. Most definately a required part of the tool kit!

As to the WOKR, Seems I will be carrying on Dad's original membership and do believe like a few other clubs I belong to will find the help I need on that steering ball. Have decided to attend the Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show in Michigan this September with Dad and know that a few from the WOKR go also so......

Now if I move the Nash out of the way, can push the Overland up enough to get under it and remove the broken part and get a picture to post to know for sure what is needed.

So much to do, but it is a hobby right? Going to make the best of it.

When I come across the picture when he bought the Whippet, will post it to show the before and after (over his 28 year effort).

• 2 weeks later...

HAPPY LABOUR DAY WEEKEND EVERYONE!

Heading out to the Garage to prep the Whippet for a Car Show Sunday. Just a fun non judged show that attracts over three hundred or so cars and is set in a Pioneer Village that has lots of shade trees. The best part is Dad is going and will be a passenger for the pass and review.

post-36036-143138648219_thumb.jpg

Fun Day!

Took the Whippet and Dad to the show today. Got a few opinions from 'the guys' about ignition timing and carb rebuilding to get her running better.

Posting a few pics of the Day.

In line after the Pass & Review.

Rechromed original Whippet radiator cap.

Parked at the recreated Supertest Gas Station optioned fully inside with authentic 20's and 30's period garage equipment and original boxed parts.

Parked next to an authentic Barber Shop that was moved and restored which later also shared space with a Shoe Maker/Repair Shop.

The little bit of rain that fell could not dampen the spirits today.

post-36036-143138650013_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138650033_thumb.jpg

post-36036-14313865005_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138650081_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, found a few photos of the Whippet in progress and the "Day of Purchase" and thought I'd share.

I was there, just a young kid and while not running (no exhaust, gas tank, gauges, upholstery, etc) wondered what he was thinking (not unlike what Mom thought!).

Notice the Model A Cabriolet up the hill. The man decided that a complete running car was a better choice for him than the work needed to get the Whippet going.

How does a 6ft 2inch man at 68 get in and out of the rumble seat to fabricate a none existent rain drain?????????????

Progress, even while raising three kids on a single income family. The mess in the single car garage and driveway was not Mom's favorite discussion!

So.... after 28 years (1996) he was able to drive and show his second antique car purchase.

Fast forward to today, first time out since 2007 at the Canadian Transportation Museum Car Show and Swap Meet which Dad & I are members. Proud to say my name is on the ownership and truly appreciate what has been passed on to me. Better yet, able to share the experience with Dad!

post-36036-143138660638_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138660644_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138660652_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138660658_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138660716_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Sunday was a great day! And Landman, I do savor every moment I have been blessed to have with Dad.

Took the Whippet and him to the Orphan Car Show in Ypsilanti, Michigan which the last time we were there was 2006. He talked to so many that he has not seen for quite some time so I think it was as good for him as it was for me. He is not bad for 87! Good to have him beside me for the pass and review. Actually, it is quite a sight to see the two of us fit into this small car (and quite a feat).

Doug

post-36036-143138671648_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

OK,

Have not posted for awhile so.......

Dad came over last weekend and brought in some boxes (my wife was thrilled with more car stuff). It was mixed with auto books, an Operators Manual for the 1920 Overland, Nash tune up sheet, a couple of old Car Club monthly publications, lots of Car Event dash plaques dating back to 1967 and a few loose pictures. Found one of the 1928 Whippet a few years after he bought it showing some progress and if you look behind it is a 1958 Buick Limited 2 door that he bought as a used car to drive daily in 1969. The picture was in 1974 and I had my drivers license by then and loved the Limited.

When I went to buy my first car (1937 Chev coach) for myself he said, "Here, put a muffler (two not one) on the Buick and you can have her". Little did we know how few of that model they made and how rare they were going to be. Still have it too although it has become a parts / spare car for another Limited 2dr I found with 57,000 miles on it. Being the big boat it was I sure got looked at being only 19. Never ran into anyone else who had one till about the mid 90's. Of course met a few at the BCA National meets but still not that many around. Kind of like the Whippet. Guess I like the odd balls.

Doug

post-36036-143138803864_thumb.jpg

Tell your son he is not alone on liking the Packards! I saw the pic of your 160 and had I not become so car owner heavy could be convinced to own one too. Being 6ft 4inch I like big cars.

Good to here you might have some children with an interest in the hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

Well....... posting here hoping to get further help.

I found a used Steering Ball and with some grinding was able to fix the Overland steering. Cleaned and greased everything up and seems to be OK.

Now.......... need some additional help / advise as to the distributor !!!

After checking the wires, coil wiring and spark plug wires........... tried to start the car but would not fire! Turned over and could hear the change when closing the choke but.... no hint at spark. Pulled the cap off and found........... rotor loose, the pin bent and the cap had a piece missing.

Years ago the distributor had gone egg shaped and had to be replaced but the cap seems to fit down properly but now the pin is bent!?

Before I attempt to bend it back upright (not even sure it will be accurate or not break) thought I'd ask out there and see if anyone can help (again) or has suggestions.

I know Dad had tried to get it going two years ago with no luck (his eye sight is bad) so now I 'm left to figure out what he might have done and do what it requires to fix things.

Can anyone help?

Doug

post-36036-143138819993_thumb.jpg

post-36036-14313882001_thumb.jpg

What a fantastic thing for the two of you to do together! Be sure to take lots of rides together, he may not want to be a bother and won't ask nearly as often as he'd like to go out.

I glad you got take you Dad out in his car, My father rode Harley's all his life sidecars on most of them. at 80 plus he was going strong, the heart condition disappeared when he straddle that hog's. I remeber him in 70's spinnning donuts with the sidecar rig and his his two grandson, in the side car. A different man on his motorcyles.

• 1 year later...

WOW! About a year and a half has passed since my last posting! I have posted on some other threads but thought I'd bring this one back to life.

First, I was able to get the steering ball together on the Overland. I was given a used rod with two steering balls on it and with a bit of careful filing, was able to make one work. The taper was just a bit thicker than the Overland so after a bit of muscle and patience, got things to tighten up properly. Being that this is a critical steering part, did not want to grind it, heating up the metal possibly making it brittle.

During this time, doesn't one of the back tires go flat and won't hold air. Took the spare off, filled it up and while changing the flat in hopes of a quick fix, notice the spare is going soft. I checked with Dad about the tires and discovered he had indeed bought five new ones for her and produced the receipt which was dated 1967! Guess I will be purchasing five new tires and tubes when money will allow. Anyone have a good deal on 30 X 3 1/2 blackwalls?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]208243[/ATTACH]

1920 Overland resting in the back for now.

Next,

I'm getting more confidence driving the Whippet (and experience with how to fold myself up in order to get behind the wheel without giving myself muscle cramps or banging my knees on something)! Boy it's a small car! A friend has a 1930 Model A four door and when parked beside the Whippet you car really see the difference.

Since Oct 7, 2012 I've managed to put about 165 miles on so far and it seems to run a bit better or I might just be getting used to hearing all the sounds she makes.

Dad turned 89 in May and I brought him and the Whippet out to our local Car Club in early June. Normally he has worked at these events volunteering to do talks in some of the preserved buildings that we have or tours inside the 25,000 square foot Museum we have but this year he was able to sit back and enjoy the show. They did however ask him if he would like to drive one of the donated Model T trucks we have in the Pass and Review. Even with his diminishing eyesight he is still quite capable and you can see the smile on his face.

post-36036-143142138513_thumb.jpg

Should everything go well we will be attending the Ypsilanti Orphan Car show this September and possibly the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village in Dearborn.

I have used any excuse to go for a ride I can and three weeks ago our neighbours had family from Germany over. With translation help we talked about antique cars and he had never heard of a Whippet so..... Would you like to go for a ride? You know the answer and off we went!

Supplied from his camerapost-36036-143142138559_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142138564_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142138568_thumb.jpg

My next excuse Sunday was to attend a request for cars at a Steam & Gas Engine Show which was about 15 miles form here. Because it was last minute on my part and Dad doesn't deal with the heat well went on my own. Took it easy, the car performed like a trouper taking back roads with many friendly waves and was the oldest (original equiped) car there. All went well and decided to wash the car before putting her away. Jumped back in and.... dead battery. Had to push her in the garage and put on the charger. Might just have to get a new battery?

post-36036-143142138623_thumb.jpg

So far it has been a great summer. Can't say for sure how many times I have thanked Dad for saving these cars for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it seems the battery charged up fine but I have noticed the ammeter stays at 0 or bounces a bit on the negative side when you turn on the headlights. Guess I will have to have the generator/charging circuit checked out.

In the mean time, managed to drive across town to an annual Cornfestival which had a car show for the second time. Some of the street rod gang did a double take when I pulled in as she hasn't been out to many local shows. Then there was the public spending time eyeing her over.

It is running better the more It's driven but now seems to be dripping and using oil a bit. Has to be expected as it apparently was just a used engine put in the car before Dad bought it was back in '68.

Still..... Wouldn't want to have to walk back from where that little four will take me before it quits!

post-36036-143142160865_thumb.jpg

Have now driven 197 miles since October 2012.

• 3 weeks later...

This past Sunday a fellow car nut (another story) and I went to the annual Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan. What a GREAT show for cars up to 1930's only. While I did not take my Whippet (too late to register), don't I come across another 1928 Whippet Cabriolet Coupe!

post-36036-14314218559_thumb.jpg

Turns out after a great conversation, Martha (the actual owner) says to me, "Are you from Canada?" Uhh yes. Is your Dad Ab? Yes. Well.... they have met and some of his spare parts helped with getting her Whippet here!

Told them that next year we need to have them both together and with Dad too (God willing).

While a GREAT show anyway, this really made my day!

So I get a call from Dad who says he has been busy cleaning out some things and I should drop by. Thinking (hoping) it will be something of pictures and or car data.... Don't I have a small trailer load of Whippet 4 door parts he acquired when restoring the Cabriolet. Some of it is usable and there was a bit that was beyond repair but I guess back when he was restoring the car (long before the internet) you saved whatever you came across so.... now it is my charge to figure out what should be posted for sale or take to the scrapper.

One interesting thing in the lot was a rad shell with an emblem that looked rather dull and dirty.

post-36036-143142188885_thumb.jpg

It is rusted some at the bottom but decided to take the emblem off and spent about an hour cleaning it up.

post-36036-143142188891_thumb.jpg

Not perfect but a bit of enamel paint and it could be a driver piece I guess. I have an idea for the rad and some car show dash plaques..... maybe some pictures too.

• 4 weeks later...

With work keeping me busy, the Whippet has been sitting since about the middle of August. Decided to take it to a Spring Shop to get a quote on rebuilding the fronts and rears. She started up fine but not long down the road it is popping through the carb a bit and when I got there (not too far a trip), it seemed there was more gas leaking somewhere than usual. I knew I needed to replace the gas shutoff for sure and the shop guys said that it would need to be fixed before they took it inside so... Managed to get home taking many back roads and decided to take out that shut off after things cooled down. Found another gas shutoff at a hardware store (identical) and decided to take off the carb to investigate.

post-36036-143142226134_thumb.jpg

It is a Tillotson unit and looks like Dad has some kind of sealant all over one end.

I'm off to his house to look through some more boxes he still has and look at some extra carbs he says he has collected over the years.

More later, Doug.

So...I couldn't rest till I figured out what was going on.

After taking off the shut off and the carb I decided to tighten (lightly) the few screws and bottom needle valve nut. I then put things back together, filled the vacuum tank with gas and opened the shutoff. Gas was flowing like a fountain up from the vent hole on the float plate! OK, after shutting off the gas, removed the plate and pushed the float (gently) down a few times and things seemed to be moving without any restriction and the float wasn't heavy (full of gas).

Question:

Should there be a gasket on that cover?

I replaced the cover, turn the gas back on and nothing was leaking. I left it open before trying to start her, decided to pull the plugs, which I found out later had not been looked at since about 1996. Here is what I found:

post-36036-143142226469_thumb.jpg

The gap was about 40 thousands each (give or take) but as I suspected, lots of oil up inside. I carefully wire wheeled each one (4) and rechecked the gap before putting them back in. With no leaking gas showing I hit the starter and off she went! Much to my disappointment it still had a bit of popping going on from the carb... especially when reving it up a bit but at least it was firing.

I'm not afraid to turn a few wrenches but I'm no carb guy but thought, it sounds like it's not getting enough gas so, started turning out the screw on the throat body. That made some difference but not enough. Then I turned out the T valve on the bottom and it acted like it wanted to stall so started to turn it in. After a bit things started to smooth out and after setting the idle I tweaked the mixture screws some more.

I then took it out for a ride and to my surprise it seemed to have a bit more power (with no popping sounds). With daylight growing short these days I drove her back for now but plan on spending time on Saturday to see if I can fine tune things a bit more and sort through the carbs I got from Dad.

post-36036-143142226496_thumb.jpg

Extra Tillotson's

post-36036-143142226501_thumb.jpg

Spare Zienoth's

My tweaking the existing carb proved both good & bad. I was able to get her to idle down respectably and with a short ride really happy how she was running. Then I went for a tour through the City and naturally had the odd idiot that just had to pass and then stop short because he found himself racing in front of me and closing in on the car ahead of me! This resulted with me trying to hit the brakes hard (twice) and as anyone with mechanical brakes knows, you had better have your hand on the emergency brake to get that hard brake action if things are not adjusted right up to snuff!

After those two incidents, it seemed that the car would not idle down and before I got home I found I had to reach down, grab to gas pedal and pull it up in order to keep the rpm's down. After more adjusting the carb (idle screw) and linkage I finally took out the carpet and floor boards to see what might be hanging up. At first I thought that the gas rod was hanging up in the hole through the wood floor board. Remember, this car was a 28 year restoration basket case project and Dad put things together back before the internet was something one could look up. He had somehow came up with an aluminum rod for the gas bending it to the various bends required to get to the carb. While it works under gentle conditions, I think with my #12's, the position it comes through the floor next to the brake pedal and the fact I had to jam on the brakes hard has bent the rod to the point things bind and the engine will race when shifting and adding a new adventure to driving an antique car!

SORRY, somehow hit the submit button before I was finished.....

I messed with things while still hot, adding to my already scared hands as it is tight in there and finally had to park her for another day.

I found that a couter (sp?) pin was suggesting a bit of contact due to it's length, the block for the steering/gas control was very sloppy (worn) and the float is still sticking sometimes.

Did I say that the new gas shut off is working perfectly?????

The other good thing about adjusting the carb (a real learning curve here for me) is that I found that she has way more power than it used to have! I have an overpass (secondary road) near home and when I used it she would literally bog down to about 20 miles an hour with my foot to the boards! Now, it not only maintains 30 mph, it will actually feel like it would climb faster if pushed! And.. I have not checked the timing yet!

Sadly.... The motor is going to need a complete overhaul as not only are the gaskets leaking almost everywhere but the oil is blowing out the fill tube to the point with the coil right next to it, I have to wipe it off before each outing and yet she fires right away and while smoking, troupes on down the road! I'd sure hate to walk back from as far as she would take me before totally breaking down!

REALLY don't want to go there!

• 3 weeks later...

I have not spent much more time on the gas pedal issue as it has been too cold here the last few weeks plus I have no heat in the garage. Dad still wants me to go ahead and get the springs redone so will be making that arrangement for sometime next week (weather permitting).

In the mean time, I started going through the several boxes of literature, pictures and things that I tried to bury in the basement so as not to upset my wife with more car stuff......

I found an article published in our local paper about Dad and the Whippet that some of you might find interesting. It is dated: April 12, 1975 and captures him to a T.

post-36036-143142252904_thumb.jpg

(Guess you will have to click on it to get a larger version to read.)

Here is the picture taken of him for the article.

post-36036-143142252957_thumb.jpg

And here is how that dash looks today.

post-36036-143142252973_thumb.jpg

A post script to this:

Dad is still here at 89, has a pacemaker, has macular degeneration (slowly loosing his eyesight, a bit of arthritis and yet..... has talked my son into helping him completely strip the paint off his 1966 Corvair convert he is giving to my sister and then repaint it! Talk about the Energizer Bunny!!

With the S@$&@* weather this past few days, went out to the storage garage today and organized a few things. Decided to deal with a trunk Dad had given me that was in one of his storage barns for many years and I have been moving around off the floor for some time now.

post-36036-143142258999_thumb.jpg

While this trunk is anything but complete or useable, it was a complete surprise to see that it is somewhat close to the green that Dad had painted the car back in 1996.

I used a combination of extra fine steel wool, (believe it or not) diet coke and metal polish to try and preserve the original finish.

post-36036-143142259005_thumb.jpg

Clearly this trunk is meant for a closed car due to the fact it has a curved body side slope.

post-36036-143142259009_thumb.jpg

However, I'd like to find a trunk that is more to fitting the Whippet and clean up the rumble seat floor when showing the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my post #35 - Dad's 1966 Corvair convertible.....

While this car will be going to my sister & her husband some day, thought I'd share here just what has been my inspiration regarding cars.

As the picture states: Dad did his best in 1984 to repair and paint the car (not unlike the Whippet) with only one household income and raise three kids and deal with all that life can give you.

post-36036-143142270283_thumb.jpg

And.... with the help of my 24 year old son, has got her this far.

post-36036-143142270294_thumb.jpg

To me here is the star of the show (still hard at work) regardless of the end results!

post-36036-143142270317_thumb.jpg

I know I have some BIG shoes to fill!

Edited by dei
wrong post# (see edit history)

Hi Doug & Ab:

Certainly enjoying your posts!!! Mainly due to the subject matter, of course. Two fine cars that got away when I was young & foolish: 1920 Overland 4 "Cloverleaf" Roadster & a 1928 Whippet Cabriolet!!! Oh well, if we'd only known, EH? Did you sell the extra Whippet Fenders, Doug? Let me know, please. Keep the good posts coming!

Hi Doug & Ab:

Certainly enjoying your posts!!! Mainly due to the subject matter, of course. Two fine cars that got away when I was young & foolish: 1920 Overland 4 "Cloverleaf" Roadster & a 1928 Whippet Cabriolet!!! Oh well, if we'd only known, EH? Did you sell the extra Whippet Fenders, Doug? Let me know, please. Keep the good posts coming!

Hi Willys77,

Glad you are enjoying the read.

I'm enjoying putting down the history and pictures of my lifetime with these cars and as a printed version of what has been told and told and told etc. but sometimes takes a twist at times. See, I print out a copy every now and then, give it to Mom to read for Dad and every now and then he comments on some bits that either I didn't hear before or just "did not get that quite right". However, he loves that it is on the Forums and when he hears what I've posted only reinforces his decision to have passed them on to me.

Only two cars that got away? LOL

The 1920 Overland Cloverleaf would have been a nice "keeper"! The only Cloverleaf Overland I have seen (or remember seeing) is this one parked next to our Overland back in 2004. I think it was a 1917 but.... with those wire wheels and that two door body, was really appealing! Wish I had a better picture of it.

post-36036-143142271321_thumb.jpg

As to the fenders... I have not sold anything of the extra parts Dad gave me. I took some time to download a few pictures tonight as with outside work and the winter closing in, just have been busy.

There is only one front passenger side fender,

post-36036-143142271496_thumb.jpg

And both rear fenders.

post-36036-143142271504_thumb.jpg

These are off a 1928 Whippet model 96 four door sedan he came across and used some of the brake parts and universal joints. The balance of the car was bad, wood wise and had been under a tarp outside for some time so it went to the scrapper as there was no motor or tranny. There are all four doors available too and a few other bits and pieces.

Let me know what you think.

post-36036-143142271492_thumb.jpg

post-36036-1431422715_thumb.jpg