1920 OVERLAND MODEL 4 - HELP

dei

Can anyone help? Tried to move what is becoming my car gifted from my 87 year old Dad today and when I tried to turn the steering wheel I heard a crack and the wheel suddenly moved freely! Thank heavens it happened in the garage and not on the road! Dad has owned this car since 1967 and we both have driven it to events locally until 2007. It has been sitting since but...... WOW!

It looks like the main steering rod from the gear box has broken at the passenger wheel. Because it was late I did not get into it further but....... any Overland people out there that are familiar with this or can sugget sources for parts? I have emailed a few Willys Overland Knight Registry people that Dad has been a member of but any help / suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Will try and post a pic of the car with Dad and his 1928 Whippet from 2006.

Thanks for any advise, Doug

post-36036-143138547187_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Glenn,

The short answer is yes and no.

After much discussion with my local car club people have determined it is the STEERING BALL that broke at the threads. Acquired a bar with two steering balls that appeared to be the same size but when I tried to insert one into my tie rod bar. it would not go in far enough to allow the threads to project out and let the nut catch.

It has been suggested that I grind (carefully) the taped portion enough to let it set in deeper, hence catching the threads to tighten.

Being the is / has stress put on it with steering, should this be done?

Any thoughts, parts or help greatly appreciated.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for offering to help.

Thought I would post my progress to date. With more than a few discussions with mechanics and a couple engineers took the replacement steering ball to a grinding wheel and without over heating the metal, ground it down to fit the tie rod bar enough to let the nut tighten and put a cotter pin through to prevent the nut from backing off.

With temps near 50 (so unusual for my area) and no heat in the uninsulated garage, will reassemble all parts today and then......

on to diagnose the lack of firing up. Need to check wiring, coil (spark), points etc. Dad thinks it was the condenser wire was off and burned the points. He gave me a box with spare electrical and hopefully points and condenser are there.

post-36036-143138797234_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138797251_thumb.jpg

I have a soft spot for the Overland Model 4. Bought one out of a barn in 1975. The previous owner had disassembled it for restoration in 1937!!!! The engine had been totally rebuilt with new aluminum pistons. He neglected to install one of the spark plugs and a hundred or so generations of mice had lived in and apparently urinated in that one cylinder, eating a hole completely thru the new piston. He hand carved a wooden pattern and core box with the intention of having a high compression aluminum head cast. I sold the car many years ago but still have the pattern. It's a beautiful piece of work. Anyone interested in an experimental HC head for an Overland Model 4 ? 1921 as I remember.

• 3 weeks later...

Posting here as well as Our Cars & Restoration in hopes to get help on a new issue.

I found a used Steering Ball and with some grinding was able to fix the Overland steering. Cleaned and greased everything up and seems to be OK.

Now.......... need some additional help / advise as to the distributor !!!

After checking the wires, coil wiring and spark plug wires........... tried to start the car but would not fire! Turned over and could hear the change when closing the choke but.... no hint at spark. Pulled the cap off and found........... rotor loose, the pin bent and the cap had a piece missing.

Years ago the distributor had gone egg shaped and had to be replaced but the cap seems to fit down properly but now the pin is bent!?

Before I attempt to bend it back upright (not even sure it will be accurate or not break) thought I'd ask out there and see if anyone can help (again) or has suggestions.

I know Dad had tried to get it going two years ago with no luck (his eye sight is bad) so ......... now I 'm left to figure out what he might have done and do what it requires to fix things.

Can anyone help?

Doug

post-36036-143138820174_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138820219_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138820235_thumb.jpg