1913 Metz Trunk

MochetVelo

I'm wondering if the trunk (rear wood portion) of my 1913 Metz roadster is original or not. It's a pretty simply design, which is not surprising, but all joints are butt joints held together with screws. I would have expected dado joints or something more rugged. It is composed of six pieces of hardwood (not plywood). The rear panel is a flat piece of wood; the catalog illustrations make this piece look like it's curved with a recessed "floating" panel as well. Can anyone who has access to a similar model comment?

post-52500-143138544662_thumb.jpg

post-52500-143138544667_thumb.jpg

Phil

• 1 month later...

Mine is wood and I believe that to be original. The back of the cowl area is made to receive the 3/4" hardwood sides so I would think it is original. I even think there is the original blue paint under a red repaint.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I'm starting to think that the curved piece on the back and the one parallel to it had a metal skin. I think the construction was 1 1/5" wood frame that used half laps for joinery. The inside panel was metal. In the two attached pictures you can see the wood framing. The panel in the center could be wood, but based on the amount of wood showing on each side of the frame, it would have to super, super thin wood. I also think I see rust. In the second picture it looks like someone has sanded through the paint in two places and you can see metal. Both of these cars are known to be very original.

post-65715-14314181279_thumb.jpg

post-65715-143141812802_thumb.jpg

I just received verification from Andy that his Metz does indeed have metal on the front and back panels that make up the trunk. So... wood sides, wood frame, but the panel on the front and back of the trunk is metal. Many thanks to Andy for checking this and sending the pictures.