horn button access

Guest vyacht

Guest vyacht

hi i need to access the horn button on a 1935 dodgebrothers on the steering columb. how do you take the cover off.

ken

I believe that all you have to do is #1. remove battery cable. #2. Gently push horn button in and turn counter-clockwise and it should come straight off. Be careful that the spring inside does not go flying out. I think that there is a stainless steel ring with 3 tabs with slots holding the cap on.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest brian stenberg

The proper method is as described by Ian. Carefully unscrew the bakelite piece that surrounds the button. This is may be difficult to remove if it has been in place for quite some time but do not force it as it is easily broken. Once off, the button and spring can be removed.

• 3 years later...
Guest CharlieLow

Hi Ken--I saw your posting from 2011. I have a problem with my 1934 Dodge KC pickup horn. Problem is, I don't have the horn button assy. I sent these pics of my steering wheel to Andy Bernbaum and he says he doesn't have parts to fit. Would you pls take a look at my pics and tell me what I should do? Note the male threaded part--thread dia is 2 1/16 or 2 1/8. Is my steering wheel the right one for a 1934? Thanks. charliepost-96134-143142791933_thumb.jpg

post-96134-143142791912_thumb.jpg

Keiser 31 is correct for '35. Just disconnect the battery and push down on the button while turning counter-clockwise. Many times you will find that the tabs that hold the ring on the button may be broken. As long as enough of the tab is there to hold the ring it will still work.

Guest CharlieLow
Keiser 31 is correct for '35. Just disconnect the battery and push down on the button while turning counter-clockwise. Many times you will find that the tabs that hold the ring on the button may be broken. As long as enough of the tab is there to hold the ring it will still work.

Hi jpage--Got your reply but there must be a mistake. It fits a different posting. Pls see mine with the 2 pictures. Hope you can help me. Thanks. charlielow

Guest CharlieLow
Didn't notice that this was a yrs old post. Original question was for a '35 Dodge.

Sorry jpage---I don't know my way around the forum very well. So I'll do a new post. Hope you can help me. charlielow

Hi Charlie,

Mine is from a 34 DR Sedan but I believe the components are the same.

The first shot is of the steering wheel centre. The second is the horn button components ( note that the large black ring does have a thread around the outside ).The last shot is of the horn button ( turned upside down ) and the horn button retainer ring. I haven't put all mine back together yet as it get in the way of me working under the dash. The maintenance manual has a description of each part. Probably someone else on the forum could chime in and explain the exact process of reassembly but shouldn't be too difficult to work out. Maybe pull your completely apart and see if you have everything using my pics as a guide.

Hope this helps you.

Ian

post-44589-143142794794_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142794797_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142794799_thumb.jpg

Guest CharlieLow
Hi Charlie,

The first shot is of the steering wheel centre. The second is the horn button components ( note that the large black ring does have a thread around the outside ).The last shot is of the horn button ( turned upside down ) and the horn button retainer ring. I haven't put all mine back together yet as it get in the way of me working under the dash. The maintenance manual has a description of each part. Probably someone else on the forum could chime in and explain the exact process of reassembly but shouldn't be too difficult to work out. Maybe pull your completely apart and see if you have everything using my pics as a guide.

Hope this helps you.

Ian

Thanks, Ian--this is really helpful. Referring to your middle pic, (as you can see on my photos) I only have the nut, key, and the threaded black part, installed in my steering wheel. What are the 2 parts of yours that contact each other to make the elec contact (when the horn button is pushed)? I would assume the spring is to keep them separated until the button is pushed, but if the spring is metal, it looks like it would be a short. My threaded part corresponding to your big black threaded part is metal--is yours? I'm having trouble figuring out how all the parts work together (mechanically and electrically). Thanks, again. charlielow

Guest CharlieLow
Hi Charlie,

Hope this helps you.

Ian

Hi Ian--I have a follow-up question. I'm still trying to figure out if my steering wheel is stock for the '34. It does look much like yours, but the depth of the cavity (where the button and parts sit) is only about 5/16 inch. And the metal threaded part (~2 1/16 dia) is about 3/8 high--so it actually sticks up out of the cavity about 1/16. Given all that, are your steering wheel cavity dimensions close to mine? If not, I may have a foreign steering wheel. Thanks, Ian. I really appreciate your help. charlielow

Hi Ken--I saw your posting from 2011. I have a problem with my 1934 Dodge KC pickup horn. Problem is, I don't have the horn button assy. I sent these pics of my steering wheel to Andy Bernbaum and he says he doesn't have parts to fit. Would you pls take a look at my pics and tell me what I should do? Note the male threaded part--thread dia is 2 1/16 or 2 1/8. Is my steering wheel the right one for a 1934? Thanks. charlie[ATTACH=CONFIG]276715[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]276716[/ATTACH]

It looks to be the correct wheel for your 1934, to me....

post-37352-143142797132_thumb.jpg

Hi Charlie,

Ok here we go..... Your steering wheel does look like a 34 and the cavity you are talking about is 5/16" deep.

The metal threaded part is also about 5/16" high.

Assembly is as follows :

First photo of the hub, imagine its sitting over the steering column with the steering shaft thread poking through the hole and you've put the key in.

Next the metal threaded part goes over the the threaded steering shaft.

Next the copper cup also goes over the threaded steering shaft.

Next the bolt tightens all 3 in place ( hob, metal threaded part and copper cup ). The raised outside ring of the copper cup is what the horn push button makes contact with.

Next sit the fibre steering wheel nut insulator washer over the threaded part.

Next turn the horn button upside down and sit the horn spring inside it.

Next turn the horn button up the correct way and sit on top of the insulator washer.

Finally the horn button retaining ring can then be put over the horn button and screwed clockwise to hold the horn button assembly in place.

Once I did mine the push button action worked fine.

During assembly the wire that pokes up the centre of the steering shaft would need a lump of solder to stop it from falling back down the shaft and at the same time gives the wire contact with the metal parts and the copper cup.

The insulator washer may need to be modded to ensure a complete coverage of the threaded part of the steering shaft.

Hope this helps ( now I know how mine goes back together too :) )

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143142797292_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142797296_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142797298_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142797301_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142797303_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142797305_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142797307_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142797309_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142797311_thumb.jpg