Wood floor just above exhaust

Dauphinee

Ok I finally took out the indoor carpet on my floor under the drivers and pass feet. The drivers had a nice opening to the battery but nothing covering it. Got to definately cover that. Now the pass side had a piece of Plywood that sits right above the muffler. Wow did I see some serious heat damage to the wood and rug.

What is recommended to put on the bottom of the new piece of wood to stop the heat transfer??

Does anyone have a pic of what type of trap door to put ontop of the battery.

1936 pontiac Deluxe 4 door

Guest WEB 38

Do you have a print shop near by If so see if they will give you one of there old alum. offset plates and apply to the back of the wood try to get as thick as they have or double up. Hope this helps.. works for me. Bill WEB 38

Guest 36chev

On my 36 Chevrolet, the battery cover (passenger side) was and still is originally plywood. But GM engineers were at least smart enough to have tail pipe going down the other side!

Was the original floor made of wood? Any sheet aluminum will reflect the heat. Space it away from the wood for best results. The muffler may be too close to the floor.

On my 28 Pierce the exhaust ran under the drivers side floor. All the original floorboards are wood, the removeable front ones had a thin layer of insulation underneath, probably asbestos. I made sure to replace the muffler with one the same size and shape. All exhaust components were at least 6 to 8 inches away from the wood and there was no evidence of heat damage.

As Rusty stated, fasten the sheet of metal to the wood with at least 3/8" air space to allow the heat that passes through the metal to disburse. (Use 3/8" nuts as spacers.)

If placed in contact with the wood, it would just transfer the heat directly into the wood.

This is a dangerous situation. On the night of June 4th, 1968, while on a 600 mile drive home from college in my overloaded 1931 Cadillac V-8 sedan, the car caught fire in the back. I had a heavy trunk on the back, loading it way down. Our ears were glued to the transistor radio listening to news of Bobby Kennedy's assassination. We neglected to smell the smoke. Came the dawn I could see we were trailing smoke. I stopped and then it really smoked, and wood, horsehair, and mohair really took off, burning out the entire interior and roofing before water arrived. Conventional fire extinguishers were useless. Only water worked. I drove it home the last 100 miles. Take no chances with exhaust and wood.

I used to have a farm house with old dry wooden wainscotting in the kitchen and a wood stove less than a foot from it. I made a heat shield from aluminum screwed to the wood with 1" spacers. No matter how hot the stove got you could put your hand behind the aluminum and it was cold.