illinois trailer title problem

Guest MARTINOS1

Guest MARTINOS1

:mad: hi all...i have a 5x8 home made trailer i need titled. Illinois sucks with there new law on titles. any suggestions? it is legal as hell and they want this and that..i tried 3 times to get it and they still want more info..i have had it..its a friggin small hand made trailer to haul boxes if anything..we don't need titles for tow dollies but we do for home made trailers..go figure...only in Illinois.. i have hear about Maine, but i don't think that is my solution...anyone have a old title that the trailer is gone? mine is in the 3,000 and under class, very legal as everything is brand new on it...help !!!!!! signed: stuck in chitago !!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest bandit71

Did you ever figure it out? I stupidly just bought a homemade trailer yesterday and have been learning about all of this new IL crap today. 5 years ago when I needed a homemade title, I just signed off saying it was homemade and got temp tags that day. Now I find out that after signing all their documents, giving receipts and signing in blood, they tell me the best case scenario is to get a vin in two months, then you need to start the process for the registration. I need it now not in three months. And how do I provide material receipts and sign their legal documents saying it was me and only me who built it. I bought it this way. IL sucks royally. I think I just bought a pile of scrap iron. They say it is to stop trailer theft. Sorry for the rant, I am just learning of this whole process today. Heard this went into effect at the start of 2010 to stop trailer theft. Did you ever figure out any way through this?

Guest MARTINOS1

no, i took a title from another smaller trailer and i am using that one for my bigger trailer. they go by weight not size. i heard of two states that are pretty easy, maine-wisconsin. but you have to know someone there...the other gig is to find someone through craigslist that has an old beat up pice of crap they are gonna burn, and see if they will take a few bucks for the old title...illinois state i gave up on, i keep getting my check back with documents and the photos...they suck royal. plus they claim they will even come to your house and STAMP the tongue for you...bull ****...good luck guys.....

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

You need to contact the folks in Maine to register your trailer there:

Maine Sect'y of State

Bureau Of Motor Vehicles

Trailer Registration Section

State House Station #29

Augusta, Maine 04333-0029

(207) 624-9000, Ext #52151

They will need the following info: VIN: (make up a nice number and stamp it on the trailer frame), Model: Trailer,

Color, Make: Homemade, Style: Utility, Number of axles 1(?),

Registered weight: 2000 Lbs(?)

The fee for us is $24.00 for two years

Good luck.

Bill since you have all the Maine registration info I assume you use them for your trailers. Any problem in NY since I assume they don't have to be inspected. I do get tired of dragging the trailer in for yearly inspections, where they walk around the trailer checking lights and tires say pass that will be $$$. I inspect that well or better every time I hook the trailer to my truck and I don't have to go somewhere special and pay them to do it.

Hi,

Yes, Jim.

I have Maine plates on our trailer, GVACS has them on the club trailer, and also, Thorps have registered their trailers in Maine now.

You still can be stopped and cited for no safety chains, lights out, etc. Just common sense items.

I was stopped by a local officer who wanted to know why I had Maine plates. I told him that we had property there and that made him happy.

The pluses: Two year registration, no inspections, and reasonable fees ($12.00/year)

Thanks Bill, I guess I will have to look into it. Two year registration would certainly be nice. I usually wait till April or May to put my two on the road and it seems like half the time I need one of them before I renew the plates and either delay the use or use expired registration and gamble that I don't get stopped.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Recently I easily got serial numbers, registrations, and plates for an "Assembled" trailer in Indiana. It had been made in Ohio in 1950 or so. I ddn't even have a bill of sale since I had inherited the trailer. Indiana didn't seem to care--they assigned me a serial number and the paperwork flowed easily. I suspect that you'll need proof of an Indiana address though.

--Tom

Guest Lincoln54Capri
5x8 home made trailer

Why not just buy a full size longbed pickup truck? They have an 8 foot bed which is around 5 feet wide. Problem solved! :)