Seat belts on a '63

Adambravo

The '63 I purchased last fall appears to have aftermarket black lap belts installed in the front seats. The problem? They appear to be adjustable, but I can't figure out how. I've tried pushing and pulling various items on the buckle, but nothing seems to be moving, and so I wonder if I am missing something. The driver's belt is slightly snug on me and passable, but wouldn't fit if I were wearing a heavier coat. The passenger belt is adjusted for an extremely large person, and would probably not prevent an average adult male from careening into the windshield.

I've attached a couple of photos; the backside of the buckle reads "Eberhard-500". Any ideas out there?

Alternatively, can someone suggest a source to get belts to replace these with?

Thanks in advance...

post-70767-143138529963_thumb.jpg

post-70767-14313852999_thumb.jpg

Those appear to be `64 belt buckles. Look factory to me. With age the belt material becomes stiff and takes a "set" because the adjustment hasn`t been moved, maybe for 20 years or better. Try holding the belt material in one hand, keeping it flat, and pull on the buckle with a back and forth, twisting motion. Look at the angle where the belt weaves thru the buckle as a guide and the material will slowly work thru the buckle until it gets beyond the "set". From there it will prove less stubborn.

Tom Mooney

Those appear to be `64 belt buckles. Look factory to me. With age the belt material becomes stiff and takes a "set" because the adjustment hasn`t been moved, maybe for 20 years or better. Try holding the belt material in one hand, keeping it flat, and pull on the buckle with a back and forth, twisting motion. Look at the angle where the belt weaves thru the buckle as a guide and the material will slowly work thru the buckle until it gets beyond the "set". From there it will prove less stubborn.

Tom Mooney

Fascinating. Would it help if I tried spraying some WD40 in there...?

The latch is similar to the latch in the brass belt buckle that you have with your Army dress greens. There's a knurled roller in it that when pressure is exerted on it, it tightens up. To release the pressure, hold the belt 90* to the buckle and see if you can get any movement out of it. The knurled roller might free up with a shot of WD-40 or PB Plaster but it probably won't do anything for the dried out nylon on the belt. Most of the seat belts I've seen have the adjustment on the male end, not the female end (buckle.)

If you'll search the archives of the ROA forum here on the AACA site for 'seat belts" you can find a post by Jim Cannon that describes the '63 buckle along with pictures. The '63 buckle is the flipper kind that you sometimes find on airliners.

Google 'retorfit seatbelts' and look for Wesco Performance products' website. They have everything you need to refurbish / replace OE type seat belts.

Ed

• 2 months later...
Additional question: any recommendations on standard v retractable belts and how they 'fit' in the car?
Three point harness retractable belts would be problematic since the car's roof structure is not designed to hold the upper end of the shoulder harness. My 70 Riviera had factory shoulder belts and the upper attach point was all the way back on the B-pillars to get enough structure to tie into.

Retractable lap belts would be an option though from having taken the console apart, you'd need to put the retracting mechanism on the door side of the seat since the console is full.