1929 Reo Speedwagon Fire Truck

Guest bodyman817

Guest bodyman817

Our local fire department has a 1929 Reo Fire Truck that we use for parades and various events. The truck was restored completely years ago but the problem is that sometime the engine was replaced and nobody remembers what engine was put in it. The only casting numbers or markings that I can find so far is IFA and CWC. Can anyone tell me what these markings stand for? Any help is appreciated.

Our local fire department has a 1929 Reo Fire Truck that we use for parades and various events. The truck was restored completely years ago but the problem is that sometime the engine was replaced and nobody remembers what engine was put in it. The only casting numbers or markings that I can find so far is IFA and CWC. Can anyone tell me what these markings stand for? Any help is appreciated.

Can you post photos of the engine for a better I.D.?

Hi!

The engine in the photo is so called improved T6 engine. T6 engine was in production from 1920 to 1926. After this came improved T6 engine. I guess this engine was used from 1927 to 1928. T6 engine has both side (exhaust) and overhead (intake) valves. Among other things earlier T6 engine has multiplate cluch and chain driven starter. Later T6 engine has single plate cluch and modern type starter. Intake valvesare covered with sheet metal cover.

Best wishes

Juha Kaitanen

Turku, Finland

Guest bodyman817
It looks like it has a flat area surrounding the head that would seat a valve cover.

Yes there is a valve cover that is held down by 4 clamps.

Guest bodyman817
Hi!

The engine in the photo is so called improved T6 engine. T6 engine was in production from 1920 to 1926. After this came improved T6 engine. I guess this engine was used from 1927 to 1928. T6 engine has both side (exhaust) and overhead (intake) valves. Among other things earlier T6 engine has multiplate cluch and chain driven starter. Later T6 engine has single plate cluch and modern type starter. Intake valvesare covered with sheet metal cover.

Best wishes

Juha Kaitanen

Turku, Finland

Thanks for the help.

• 3 months later...
Guest uralist

that is like the origional engine in the 1926 speedwqgon that i am working on. It is a continental f head and that is all i have been able to learn about it:confused: our truck is unrestored and completely origional when we started it had no distributor or distributor drive.......now running after 50 years

The engine in the photo is manufactured by Reo Motor Co. It is not Continental. Reo used first Continental engines in Wolverines in 1927 and 1928. Later they were used on Flying Clouds. Also this engine is not the same used in 1926 Reo Speedwagons. The engine in the photo is improved T6 with single dish clutch. In 1926 gear box and engine were two different units and the clutch was multidisk (13 disk) type. Is your Speedwagon Heavy Duty?

Best wishes from Turku, Finland

Juha Kaitanen

Guest bodyman817

I was kinda thinking something was different about the carb because theres an adapter plate between the carb and intake.