Chrysler 1930 serie 77 victoria convertible

The car I have is a Chrysler 1930 serie 77 that was sold new in Chile on may 15 1930 by the local Chrysler dealer.

I have an original invoice from the local dealer that has the following numbers.

Engine W 12721

body is c 108 dw

Sometime in the past the car got another engine.

Car now has another engine, the number is W19248.

Wheelbase is 124.5 inches.

I have contact a lot of people around the world for help to identify the body builder.

I have contacted Danielle Szostak-Viers at chryslerheritage.com. I asked for the build card of my car, The answer was:

" Unfortunately, I was unable to find a build card for your vehicle. The build cards were stored on microfilm. Your build card was missing from the reel. The build card would of had the body number on it.

I am sorry that I am unable to assist you. "

I also tried with a volunteer and the answer from Danielle was:

"Unfortunately, I was unable to find a volunteer here at the archives to give me a 100% answer on what your vehicle is. One volunteer said he believes it’s a 1930 Chrysler 77 2 Door convertible sedan. I am sorry that there is not more that I can tell you".

Also contacted people on hershey swap meet, and a lot of other places.

Most of the people agree that the car must have a Locke body. They said that the construction characteristics and the side molding around the car is Locke. I was told to look at the plate, but where it will be supposed to be with the numbers (under the front seat) , but my car does not have any peace of wood there. I guess that the plate came of with the peace of wood that is supposed to be there.

The car is very unique, some time in the past has a Hard top,, which I do not have now.

Have pictures from now and from many years ago.

The car has no rust, engine is running, only missing things that I remember are hubcaps and shock absorbers and top. Have an extra good condition grille and extra transmission.

Please take a look at these 2 posts of my car

Chrysler 1930 serie 77 identification help

ID this 1930 chrysler body

Taking care of international shipping will be not a problem for me.

This car is very unique, Most of the people who I showed the pictures thinks this is the only one known to be in existence. Serie 77 Phaetons have reach prices of over 150 K with average of 120 K. The price of my car correctly restored will easy achieve this values.

I´m asking 32000. May consider an offer.

Please send offers by PM<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

post-64205-143138526977_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138526978_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138526986_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138526994_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138527001_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138527008_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138527016_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138527024_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138527027_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138527031_thumb.jpg

No top irons because of the removable hardtop, which is shown in one of the pictures. That is an unusual feature.

First glance at the somewhat slab sided body makes one think home made, then seeing that moulding detail, evident both outside and inside, makes one think twice that this is a body built by someone or some company with higher skill level.

Very interesting car, although I believe the starting sales price is pretty strong, for a car that needs everything and then some.

Hopefully some expert will know more.....

Hi guys:

I boght the car like 6 years ago if I not remember bad. Past Owner have the car since the early 60´s. He gave me the original invoice and other paperwork from that years like the one when the second owner bought the car.

As he told me, the car had have a hardtop in that years which is not available now. The old pictures with the harftop on I posted are from the past owner.

To help sell it I would take a bunch more pictures in better detail. Try to get a scan of the old ones in a decent resolution too. Document in as much detail as possible your knowledge of the history of the car. A very unique and worthwhile project for someone. I think if you were sitting in the chocolate field with this you would have no problem selling it but the distance will make it tougher as a U.S. buyer or European will have to buy sight unseen. Good luck.

Hi Alsancle:

Thanks for the tips !!! I completely agree with you that Hershey fields will be a good place to show the car, but I´m find of far away..

I was unable the get better quality old pictures of the car. When I bought it the past owner just allowed me to scan the pictures and they where bad quality so the scans are bad quality too.

If somebody needs special interest pictures just let me know and I can take them.

I´m posting more pictures I have.

I have also the 77 emblem ( not showed in the pictures )

post-64205-143138528899_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138528903_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138528907_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138528916_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138528946_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138528955_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138528965_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138528973_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138528981_thumb.jpg

Car has now chrysler 1930 serie 77 engine. the number is W19248.

Engine started a couple of years ago and now turns with no problem.

Cas has original 4 speed transmission. Also have a spare transmission.

picture attached is from the spare transmission.

Engine was apart the car when I bought it, but was installed in the car before.

post-64205-143138529354_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138529358_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138529366_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dave.. Very interesting post.

I measure 124.5 inches wheelbase, but may be an error on that if your book says 124. Or the difference may be in the old suspencion that is lower now.

Do you have more info of the Fedco bodies? never hear about them before.

Pictures ?

Which book are you looking at? where can I bought a copy?

What did you say that the hood sides do not match the discription of A 1930 77 SERIES ?

As far as I have research about the 77 series, they came with this type of louvers and the other kind, Pennon louvers I think they are called.

The vertical louvers on the Model 77 did not have divisions. They were nearly full length of the hood and nearly full height. A lot of overseas cars varied from the standard bodies and hoods. Also...a Locke bodied car for Chrysler would have had scalloped hood tops.

post-37352-143138529579_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Very interesting, but if you see at the pictures the top part of the hood follows the line that make the color division when painted (the one that starts on the grill, goes through the hood and the goes down on the cowl and the door side).

Also the horizontal molding that goes all around the car also continues on the side of the hood, upside the louvers.

Both things make me think that the hood is original on the car. Also old pictures from 1960´s ( past owner bad quality pictures) shows the same hood in the car.

What do you think?

I agree that it is the original hood for the car. It just looks like a "European" style hood. It looks to me (by reading the sales invoice) like the chassis was sent overseas and the body was added which is the way Chrysler proceeded with a LOT of their export cars.

I agree that it is the original hood for the car. It just looks like a "European" style hood. It looks to me (by reading the sales invoice) like the chassis was sent overseas and the body was added which is the way Chrysler proceeded with a LOT of their export cars.

I agree with you, that the car might have left the Chrysler factory without a body.

May be the Chilean Local dealer at that time makes different selling bills, one from the car manufacturer and another from the body builder, which unfortunatelly is not available..

I know of a 1929 Desoto "Touring" car ~ something that was NEVER built by Chrysler, apparently! However, paper work from Chrysler Canada (I believe) showed that the car was indeed built and exported to (I think) South America. I guess we can never be sure about some of the stuff that was manufactured back in the day!

I know of a 1929 Desoto "Touring" car ~ something that was NEVER built by Chrysler, apparently! However, paper work from Chrysler Canada (I believe) showed that the car was indeed built and exported to (I think) South America. I guess we can never be sure about some of the stuff that was manufactured back in the day!

Slight correction...Chrysler DID make DeSoto touring cars in 1929...

post-37352-143138529599_thumb.jpg

Interesting pamphlet on the 1930 77. Notice the roadster and phaeton cars have a different hood, with the pennants, and the closed cars have the verticle loovers. Also note the sweep off the hood on the 2 open cars, that is not on the closed cars. But none of the pictures match the car being discussed here. 1930 Chrysler 77 Brochure Poster | eBay

This picture on this card looks like the car here: 1930 CHRYSLER SERIES 77 Car PICTURE SPEC INFO CARD | eBay

The early '77s had the vertical louvered hood and then switched to the pennon style design shortly after production started. It made no difference in the body style. Here is a coupe and sedan with the pennon style hoods...the brochures are often wrong. The brochure for my 1931 Dodges shows 12 spokes on the wood wheels...1931 DH6 came with 10 spokes at each wheel.

post-37352-143138530123_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138530128_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Remember that most sales literature included artist's misconceptions of the cars being offered. You often see cars painted "to match the ad", when in fact that painted ad may or may not represent what could be bought from the factory.........and many times were painted or drawn lower and longer, whatever it took to make it look good and sell cars......

Guest clare30

Keiser,

I think you will find the earlier Chrysler 77,s had the pennon louvres on all models with the cowl lights mounted high near the visor. Over heating problems caused changes in all later closed car 77,s to the vertical louvres. The brochure on ebay is for the later 1930 77.

Regards Clare30

Keiser,

I think you will find the earlier Chrysler 77,s had the pennon louvres on all models with the cowl lights mounted high near the visor. Over heating problems caused changes in all later closed car 77,s to the vertical louvres. The brochure on ebay is for the later 1930 77.

Regards Clare30

I am very sorry about that. You are correct. I had it backwards. I must be getting old.

Thanks !!! I hope I can find someone who will restore the car has it deserves.

Me too, but I'd settle to just see a beautiful restoration on it.

Here's my dream for it.

Painted all black, with gold-leaf inside the indented body line around the car, and a conservative colored thin strip kind of following the "sweep panel" lines from the hood to the doors (perhaps a pastel green).

Medium to dark green leather

chrome wheels and black sidewall tires.

While it looks like it never had a convertible top, without the original hardtop being available, I think I'd just as soon see a good-quality convertible soft top made for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ignacio: you might look for Chrysler ads from 1930, in your country. Maybe you will get lucky and a picture and a description of what it is might be included.

Hi:

I couldn´t find information on old ads from 1930, thanks for the tip anyway

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

So weird your car Ignacio. I am posting from Chile. If you want send me a private message to give you some tips about 1930 Chrysler 77 specially about the frame and suspension. The possible hood louvers are just two as keiser31 said. They are tipical and there is no possibility of mistake seeing the pictures

Guest Rob McDonald

Wow, you prewar guys are rubbing off on me. I too think that brown Chrysler on the eBay picture card looks like a Weyman-type fabric body. Similar in a boxy sort of way to Iggy's car but substantially different too. Do you really mean "pennon" louvers or "pennant", being triangular nautical flags?

Fascinating thread, extraordinary car and provenance. I'll keep watching.

Wow, you prewar guys are rubbing off on me. I too think that brown Chrysler on the eBay picture card looks like a Weyman-type fabric body. Similar in a boxy sort of way to Iggy's car but substantially different too. Do you really mean "pennon" louvers or "pennant", being triangular nautical flags?

Fascinating thread, extraordinary car and provenance. I'll keep watching.

Chrysler called them "pennon" louvers.

Guest Rob McDonald

Aaa, what the heck, we can talk about him, if not to him.

AL'S ANKLE, I also want to believe this is the kid brother to a Locke Sportsman's Coupe, which actually sounds like a pioneering 2-door hardtop:

"The pillar between the door and quarter lights folds down over the latter, leaving the body side entirely open when the quarter light is lowered."

There's no mention of a removable hardtop, while there's also no trace of operable side windows in Iggy's car. When Locke described this as a Coupe, I don't think they meant convertible-coupe or transformable-coupe. It's not impossible they could have built an entirely open version of the body for dry sunny export climates, including a removable hardtop for the rainy season. Looks to me like demountable side curtains were used in the car's early days. Frankly, the semi-blind rear quarters on the Locke's roof are far more attractive than the longer, more utilitarian windows in this car's lost hardtop.

Really though, this was probably exported as a bare chassis, then fitted with a very attractive open body by a Chilean coachbuilder. Every major city in the US had a handful of carriage makers that continued to build car and truck bodies, well into the 1920s. There's no reason to believe that cities in Chile didn't have the same resources. These firms might have stayed in business even longer because of their customer's unique requirements - and because foreign carmakers kept sending them bare chassis!

The local shops probably all read the same trade journals coming out of Europe and the US. This particular outfit may well have been inspired by Locke's recent work and had the skills to execute a cheaper knockoff that was better suited to the exotic locale.

• 9 months later...