What's a 1930 Chrysler Model 77 Coupe worth?

Guest Lynn Park

Guest Lynn Park

A friend of mine is asking me to sell a 1930 Chrysler Model 77 coupe and I'm having a difficult time establishing a fair price. Not some flowery appraisal number, but an actual price someone would pay for the car. Thanks, Lynn

A friend of mine is asking me to sell a 1930 Chrysler Model 77 coupe and I'm having a difficult time establishing a fair price. Not some flowery appraisal number, but an actual price someone would pay for the car. Thanks, Lynn

Need photos and good description to be able to guess. If you need someone to post the photos for you or give you an idea, send me the photos and I would be glad to help. John

keiser31@charter.net

Guest Lynn Park

It's a really nice restoration, done maybe twenty-five years ago. Car runs pretty good, has a bit of a front-end wobble at about 40 MPH, but it's a good, solid car. Photos to follow

Guest Century Mark

Very Nice Chrysler coupe

Nada price

1930 Chrysler 77

2 Door Business Coupe

<table id="ctl00_ctl01_ucValues_tblSummary" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="vdppricetypes"> <td style="width: 147px; vertical-align: middle;">Pricing

</td> <td class="pricetype">Original

MSRP</td> <td class="pricetype">Low

Retail</td> <td class="pricetype">Average

Retail</td> <td class="pricetype">High

Retail</td> </tr> <tr class="tableHeaderVDPValueRow"> <td class="tableHeaderVDPValue">

</td> <td class="optionvalue" align="right">$1,625</td> <td class="optionvalue" align="right">$8,750</td> <td class="optionvalue2" align="right">$14,750</td> <td class="optionvalue3" align="right">$24,900</td> </tr> <tr class="vdpoptionsrow"> <td colspan="5"> <table class="summaryData2" style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> </table>

See all options chosen

</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="summaryFooterVDP" style="white-space: nowrap;">TOTAL PRICE</td> <td class="summaryFooterVDP" align="right">$1,625</td> <td class="summaryFooterVDP" align="right">$8,750</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;" align="right"> $14,750 </td> <td class="summaryFooterVDP" align="right">$24,900</td></tr></tbody></table>

I suspect that $18-20,000 may be close to correct, knowing that there's probably three times that amount in its restoration. Great taste in picking colors and choosing black tires. I'd love to have it, too.

+1

I would hope it would bring at least 20k.

• 7 years later...

We still own this Chrysler as we decide not to sell it. It has a dark history, it was last upholstered by the hillside stranger in his shop in Glendale ca. Right before he was caught. We now have it stored in Kalispell Montana and are thinking of selling it. At one time MR Leno was interested in buying  it but we were not ready to sell yet. We are getting it cleaned up to sell and may approach MR Leno to see if he is still interested and see if he will make us an offer. 

• Like 1

Kenneth Bianchi claimed most of

the Hillside Strangler murders were committed at Angelo Buono’s Upolstery Shop at 703 East Colorado Street in 

Glendale, California.

No offense - but I can’t see anyone wanting to own that car except

perhaps a Death Museum.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

I agree with Jack, it’s a great looking car that I think is worth every penny of 20k plus some, but the extra storyline isn’t worth another nickel IMO.

As for spooky, really? This isn’t a B rated horror flick, it’s a car folks... and a pretty good looking one too.

I see no corrolation that would dissuade me from buying that car, there by happenstance only.  Years ago a friend bought a parts car, 39 Chevy from an estate of a well known crime victim here in CT in the late 70s.  The car was stored at the scene of the murders.  He got it home, cleaned it up, got it running, took some parts for his restoration car and drove it for a couple years.  It was not haunted...

It is a very early 30.  I love the pennant louvres. I love the black tires.  The caps look wrong, though.  Looks like Imperial caps.  I'm confused by the left rear sid - don't see the light.

It is a 2/4 Royal Coupe.  I'd think 25-30K?

I'd love to see some pictures of both sides of the engine, instrument panel and the floor mat/compartment.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:26 PM, tcslr said:

It is a very early 30.  I love the pennant louvres. I love the black tires.  The caps look wrong, though.  Looks like Imperial caps.  I'm confused by the left rear sid - don't see the light.

I'd love to see some pictures of both sides of the engine, instrument panel and the floor mat/compartment.

The light brackets for the taillights come off of the rear bumper bracket, not the rear fenders. That is why they are tough to see in the photos.

1930 Chrysler 70 rear.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

On 4/28/2011 at 1:24 PM, keiser31 said:

WOW! It's a nice one folks!! I figure $18,000.00 to $20,000.00. I could be way off, but it sure is beautiful. Maybe someone else can guess a worth.

post-37352-143138525286_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138525292_thumb.jpg

19-20 is fair, but also one of those cars that stands a chance of going higher as just so few and hard to find one that is nice matched to 6 wires/sidemounts, rumble seat, nice trunk, and being a 3 window.  I might be tempted to start at 27K.  If it is an AACA winning car, I would start quite a bit higher - say 45K.   And, if a Grand National car, then perhaps even more. 

On 4/27/2011 at 7:29 PM, Lynn Park said:

It's a really nice restoration, done maybe twenty-five years ago. Car runs pretty good, has a bit of a front-end wobble at about 40 MPH, but it's a good, solid car. Photos to follow

This is all we know about the mechanical condition as of 8 years ago. Once we start speculating about valuation based on assumptions extrapolated from cars which are high level national show cars........................      Perhaps it is time to have more relevant info, and another dozen(s) pictures. From time to time, I ask seekers of help here, to help us help them. Blackie1, in order to help you get the quackers lined up in a row for your approach to Mr. Leno, give us more pertinent information. A 35 year old restoration ;  you know. I am sure each and every one of us will be interested to see how you get on. Please keep us informed. One must assume the worst regarding unknown important mechanical factors. Let's see : do we know where you and the car are ? You could be a neighbor, and a well qualified AACA member might be able to help answer the??????????????s you will have to address eventually in any case.

You have given us far more important info than some curious truthseekers offer up. I literally read a solicitation, verbatim as follows :  " My friend has a 1929 Cadillac. What is it worth ?"  I thought about responding "Probably somewhere between $6000 and $150,000 depending on body style and condition. Could vary somewhat. Good luck with the sale.  -  Cadillac Carl ".     But I moved on.

Again, you have stimulated interest here. Thank you for introducing us to your great looking car. As I said, please keep us involved.

Your forum friend,         -    Cadillac Carl 

P.S.  Just re-read. Do see that the car is in Kalispell,  Montana. Sorry.    -    CC 

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)

On 3/20/2019 at 8:26 PM, tcslr said:

If it was an early 30 the cowl lights would be near the roof. Also, The model 70 did not have chrome headlight buckets. Agree that the hood is off an early 30.

• 2 years later...

My wife convinced me not to sell it so we have been enjoying it. We have since moved to Sarasota Florida. I have to do a tune up on it as it is starting to idle a little rough. It still starts up easily. Looking for a repair manual for this car if one was ever made. We scaled down by selling two of our model A’s so we have this Chrysler and a 31 model A duplex roadster.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, blackie1 said:

My wife convinced me not to sell it so we have been enjoying it. We have since moved to Sarasota Florida. I have to do a tune up on it as it is starting to idle a little rough. It still starts up easily. Looking for a repair manual for this car if one was ever made. We scaled down by selling two of our model A’s so we have this Chrysler and a 31 model A duplex roadster.

Try Ebay or Irv Bishko Books for an "instruction manual". It covers tune ups and other procedures. There was no "service" manual for a lot of the early Chryslers.