Transmission lock

MikeC5

I discovered a small spring loaded cover plate with a keyed lock under it on top of the transmission. I'm guessing this was an anti-theft feature? It is marked Yale, which is still a lock maker (I think). Anyone have any luck finding the correct key (or key blank) for this?

Guest Backyardmechanic

The Late Bob Long told me one time that this was one lock that there was no key blanks available.His suggestion if one had such a key is to unlock the tranny then thow away the key as one couldn't get a replacement if the key came up missing.

Vern

I have a copy of the original patent I think for that lock if you are interested

1930 - You have a copy of the original patent - ie. description, design/pattern, drawings or something. If so I wouldnt mind having a look at what info you have. It may help.

Problem easily solved!

The key blank you require is a YA3. There is a number on the bottom of the lock barrel (mine is DB253) which may assist your locksmith in cutting a replacement key. An original key is marked Yale "security" which may give him a clue as to the series for code purposes. Otherwise, the locksmith can pick the lock and reconfigure the tumblers to suit a selected key profile.

If needed, I can send you a copy of my key and you can work from there (providing you don't intend to swipe my prized 1925 roadster !!

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the key blank information. When you say a copy of your key, do you mean you have an extra key? I would be afraid it would get lost. If you can take a few high resolution close up photos of one (for e-mail) that would be great.

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the key blank information. When you say a copy of your key, do you mean you have an extra key? I would be afraid it would get lost. If you can take a few high resolution close up photos of one (for e-mail) that would be great.

Mike

I can send you a copy at cost - $A6 plus postage.

Tony

Guest 1930

If you have a chance to show the front ( put tape over the # if you are concerned ) I am curious to see it, I have never seen one and am still unclear how it works

Sure, here you go. It appears that the key allows the shaft with the flat blade end to turn. There are two ball bearings (maybe 3/8" diameter) in holes that are drilled perpendicular to the hole the shaft-blade goes in. These balls ride on each side of the blade side of the blade so depending on the blade position, the balls can be forced outward if the blade is turned to align with the ball holes. Apparently this condition pushes on a pin that keeps the sift fork rods from moving. I'll have to look at the patent again...

post-74074-143138530261_thumb.jpg

I got the keys back and tried it and though they are definitely the correct blanks, the key code didn't translate correctly. I had a locksmith take it apart and make the pins work with the new key. I should have sent the lock off to have it done but the end result works. So I give a thumbs up to this source.

• 3 years later...
Guest mhwilliams

I have a 1927 roadster with that lock in the transmission. How did you get it out? Does it jus pull out? I would like to try to get mine out.

It has been a while since I did this so I'm a bit hazy but here are the basics: remove front floorboards and then remove cross member (see arrow in 2nd photo). Disconnect speedo cable and move any other items obstructing top cover of transmission. Note that right next to the lock cylinder is a round pin that engages a scalloped area on lock cylinder (see photos).

Remove all of the bolts that hold on the top of the transmission.

Carefully lift the cover straight up to disengage the shift forks from the gears below the cover.

Turn the cover assembly over so the shift forks are pointing up.

Look in the area where the lock sits and see the flat blade that rotates with lock.

Next to the blade is a small hole directly in line with the pin observed from above before.

Use an appropriate sized drift to tap the pin out (i.e. from bottom towards top)

You should now be able to remove the lock cylinder assembly from to top side of trans cover.

Re-install in reverse order and lightly tap the tapered pin back in place (don't over do it or you'll damage the key cylinder)

Reinstall cover on transmission being careful to line up shift forks with the gears.

post-74074-143142843866_thumb.jpg

post-74074-143142843877_thumb.jpg

post-74074-143142843886_thumb.jpg

post-74074-14314284389_thumb.jpg

Got it out tonight. Here's a photo. It did have numbers on the hidden end too. I'm sending you a PM and see if the numbers make sense P-D.

I had a member of the DBC warn me to not try and get ths functional, as it may cause you more troubels than it's worth!! Your call!!

No problems with my lock either, BUT---as a very low-level security by today's standards, having the trans locked in neutral only makes easy flatbed heists easy, with a touring car, no door locks and just the parking brake on makes it easy for anyone to pull the car out and away. This is the least of my worries as my insured cars are locked in my barn anyway. The BIG benefit to this shifter lock is USING it at local car shows. There have been many times I wander away from my cars for many reasons. It has happened that a "young person", in age or mental capacity has entered the vehicle and stepped on the starter button. Needless to say, if the vehicle has been left in gear, it WILL move. God forbid there is nobody's knees against the front bumper when that happens. In my experience, not many parking brakes will hold too well, IF they're even set!