1991 on Craigs list

Barney Eaton

Guest steveskyhawk

Mike from buickreattaparts.com and I have been to the owner's home in the Hollywood Hills to work on this car on multiple occasions. I have met the owner, I have seen her home, and she is a true "Hollywood Star" in every respect.

The car was a gift from her late husband. It has been garaged in the Hollywood Hills since new. Guaranteed corrosion free. While in her home I noticed a framed letter hanging on the wall signed by the then sitting POTUS Bill Clinton. I asked her about it and she told me "everybody gets one of those". I'm not sure everybody gets personal letters from the President but she was a delight to meet.

Seeing a 91 Reatta is not a real big deal to me as I have seen quite a few. I didn't check the color of the valve stem caps however the owner of this car is fascinating. She told us the last car she sold was a 57 Thunderbird to Mel Gibson.

I was the caretaker of this car from 2003 to 2010, and can assure you that Marian Neuman (screen name Marian Collier) is indeed a star.

my first experience with Marian was comical. I was in California for a week seeing customers, and planned on being at her house early Sunday morning. I called her on Saturday, letting her know I'd be there about 8AM.

there was a pause on the phone, and she said, "could you make that 11, and do be a dear and bring the Hollywood Reporter and Variety from the curb to the door when you arrive?"

she has an extremely long career, and starred with Marilyn Monroe in "Some Like It Hot". she starred in every Lethal Weapon film, and sold Mel Gibson her 1957 Thunderbird which she bought new. after her husband Jack died in 1998, she asked Mel if she could buy it back. he said yes, but the price was five times what she sold the car to him for. I won't print her response to him here, but suffice to say it wasn't of the cordial or polite nature.

her house in the Hollywood Hills is unbelievable. from the pool, you can see all the way to Catalina, and the inside looks like the history of Hollywood. she has a book in her living room that measures about 2'X4' that is filled with full color outtakes from "Some Like It Hot" that only cast members received. I can't even fathom what the value of this would be.

the walls are filled with photographs and memorabilia. as Steve mentioned, she has a hand written condolence note from then-President Bill Clinton she received after her husband died. when Steve asked about it, she said rather dismissively, "oh, everyone gets those".

this is perhaps the only home in the world where you could sit in the bathroom and stare at a framed copy of TV Guide on the opposite wall with the home's owner on the cover.

about the only incorrect item I could see in the ad's text was with regard to the car being a "special order". it was not a special order, but a stock unit her husband purchased in May of 1991 from David J. Phillips Buick/GMC/Mazda in Laguna Hills, California.

the car is priced in the "stupid cheap" category, and is worth many times the asking price. if anyone has any questions about the car, please contact me.

Mike Rukavina

buickreattaparts.com

Edited by reattadudes (see edit history)

I saw the car a couple weeks ago (I had a nice conversation with Marian and her assistant). The car needs work. It is drive-able as it is - a good commuter car but it is far from being an acceptable Reatta to any member of this forum.

About the only item in the interior that doesn't need attention is the headliner. Otherwise, needs new seats, re-wrap the steering wheel, new carpet (I don't think it can be cleaned), new IP (i think it has deep scratches) and so on. Most of the interior controls/switches and the radio are in good working order. She does have the complete Reatta Portfolio.

Exterior...three of the four wheels need significant attention. A good polishing won't bring them up to par and one center hub is missing. Needs a new crank arm for a headlight. The tread on the tires are good but one tire has a very deep gash on the sidewall and should be replaced. Mechanically, the car seems good (it is missing two brace supports on each side) although it had a hard time turning over. I've been corresponding with Marian's assistance since and she has changed the battery. The heads were replaced because Marian ignored a leaking hose and the car froze in the middle of La Cienega Blvd (not a good place for that to happen). As for the black paint, there are too many deep swirls and scratches to polish them out. Car needs new paint (also bodywork is required along the passenger door and rear panel).

It's worth $3,500 - $4,000 as it is. Put another $5,000 into the car with 110,000 miles and you have one heck of a nice '91. It's a good project car that shouldn't be difficult to bring to its glory. What the value of the car is thereafter is for the market to decide.

On a side note, Marian is a character (in a good way). I know quite a few guys and gals of that Hollywood era and they all have stories to tell. Here's a gal in her golden years that is getting the most out of life. She has replaced her 1991 Reatta with a Lexus SC430. That kinda sums up who she is. :)

Edwin,

it's quite interesting that "this car would not be acceptable to any member of the forum", yet you keep calling her back.

why would you want such an "awful" car?

who would ever want one of only 1,200 1991 Reatta coupes produced, especially a black one?

who would want a corrosion free, one owner, celebrity owned 1991 Reatta with all documentation from day one?

who would want a 1991 Reatta that just had major engine work done, with perfectly working air conditioning, cassette player, CD player, and sunroof? I know the CD and cassette work, because I had them repaired.

could you go back out and take some photos of the "awful" interior? I'd like to see how soiled the carpeting has become in the past year "that it can't be cleaned". there is no such thing as carpeting that can't be cleaned.

in case you didn't know, Marian is very much a night person, and her car rarely was out in the sun; hence the interior is not really faded at all, nor does the leather need replacement.

I owned a detail business for many years, and have never seen paint with "swirls and deep scratches" (as long as they aren't thru the paint) that couldn't be removed with either color-sanding or buffing. in reality, the only thing wrong is the scrape on the door, and that's an easy fix.

over the years, I've either been in front or right behind you, before or after you looked at a car, including my own 1990 silver convertible I bought in West Los Angeles in 2009.

in every single case (and I do mean EVERY), there was "always something wrong with the car" to you. if the car was ten bucks, it wasn't worth it.

methinks that seeing this post about this car here on the forum could be a nightmare for you, as you prefer to ruthlessly trash a perfectly fine car. this then eliminates any competition from another buyer, and allows you to grind the seller relentlessly without competition, and if successful, that "unacceptable" car is then "acceptable". :):)

I've looked at thousands of Reattas over the years, and would give this car a 7 out of ten with a very jaundiced eye.

let me know where another 1991, one owner, corrosion free, all-systems-operating, drive it anywhere car could be found for $3,500.

Mike Rukavina

buickreattaparts.com

Edwin,

It's Ervin.

it's quite interesting that "this car would not be acceptable to any member of the forum", yet you keep calling her back.

Quote me correctly: " It is drive-able as it is - a good commuter car but it is far from being an acceptable Reatta to any member of this forum."

I should clarify. I took liberties saying "any member". Most who contribute regularly to this forum have their Reatta(s) in near showroom shape. This car is nowhere near that point (but could be).

Also, I've only met and spoken to Marian once (her assistance a couple times and some exchanges of e-mails). I offered both of them an unbiased opinion on how best to improve and/or sell the car (after telling both of them I had no interest in the car). Both have been very appreciative of my candor and suggestions (and Marian did speak of you Mike).

why would you want such an "awful" car?

who would ever want one of only 1,200 1991 Reatta coupes produced, especially a black one?

who would want a corrosion free, one owner, celebrity owned 1991 Reatta with all documentation from day one?

who would want a 1991 Reatta that just had major engine work done, with perfectly working air conditioning, cassette player, CD player, and sunroof? I know the CD and cassette work, because I had them repaired.

could you go back out and take some photos of the "awful" interior? I'd like to see how soiled the carpeting has become in the past year "that it can't be cleaned". there is no such thing as carpeting that can't be cleaned.

I'm sure someone would like such a car..like myself. Otherwise, why would I have set aside time in the middle of a Sunday?

Did I say or imply it was awful or otherwise? I stated the car needs work. When I came to see the car, I didn't expect to discover a long lost '91 Reatta. At its original $3,500 asking price (and at the current $4k), its a good buy. You can't clean excessive wear and tear (on the carpet or leather seats). But if one feels it can be salvaged; striving for a near showroom condition car, then good luck.

in case you didn't know, Marian is very much a night person, and her car rarely was out in the sun; hence the interior is not really faded at all, nor does the leather need replacement.

I didn't say it was faded. Where did I say it was faded?? Did I mention fade??? Anyone...anyone??? :) But it certainly needs attention. Yes, the leather seats should be replaced (again, striving for a near showroom condition one of 1,200 1991 coupes). As a daily commuter, the leather is fine (maybe place a Pep Boys cover over the seats). But who buys a Reatta as a daily driver. Some do - most I don't think look to buy a Reatta to be a daily driver. And those who make it a daily driver, I would think they keep their car close to impeccable.

I owned a detail business for many years, and have never seen paint with "swirls and deep scratches" (as long as they aren't thru the paint) that couldn't be removed with either color-sanding or buffing. in reality, the only thing wrong is the scrape on the door, and that's an easy fix.

I disagree. I put myself through college detailing the finer cars here in L.A. Deep swirls and scratches that I saw on the car that are to metal (IMO) can't be completely concealed (on black paint). You might be able to make it look good on silver or white cars, but not black. Maybe someone can (I suppose never say never). But at what cost??? If it can be done to an acceptable level, it's a multiple process that is labor intensive. Along with the body work required, new paint would be in order for such an investment.

over the years, I've either been in front or right behind you, before or after you looked at a car, including my own 1990 silver convertible I bought in West Los Angeles in 2009.

I haven't looked at that many cars here in L.A but I do remember that car. Wasn't for me at the time and made the right decision to pass. It was a good buy at $5,000.

in every single case (and I do mean EVERY), there was "always something wrong with the car" to you. if the car was ten bucks, it wasn't worth it.

If that was true, I wouldn't have bought three (and own two). Our definition of value differs. I'm buying and I think you're usually selling.

I understand your livelihood (in part) relies on those who have an interest in a Reatta. And I sincerely would not want to take away from that. I also understand and respect your defensiveness. But I do have the right to state my opinion as do you. Some cars I see have value, some don't. I have what the seller wants (money) therefore my opinion is what matters in such circumstances. The dollars I paid for the silver Reatta on eBay had value to me (as did the unexpected mechanical work put into the car). Do I think I can now flip a near showroom fresh car with 44K miles for more then the $12K invested? I'll leave the question unanswered for now. But Marian's car at $4,000 is a value for what your getting.

You say (and I quote) "the car is priced in the "stupid cheap" category, and is worth many times the asking price." Why don't you buy the car as is/at its face value, turn it around for many times its asking price? This is what you do (so you've said :):)). If I see an apartment building I desire in the 'stupid cheap' category and available, that building is mine and I'll close escrow asap and either keep it for its cash flow or flip it (as this is what I do).

You know this car. It has been one of your many mistresses for seven years :). Sounds like a deal to good for you to pass on - especially if the return on investment is many times its asking price.

methinks that seeing this post about this car here on the forum could be a nightmare for you, as you prefer to ruthlessly trash a perfectly fine car. this then eliminates any competition from another buyer, and allows you to grind the seller relentlessly without competition, and if successful, that "unacceptable" car is then "acceptable". :):)

Why would I trash the car??? Quite the opposite. I want Marian to maximize whatever price she can get for the car (and not because I own a couple). I don't have a horse in this race. I've been the 'victim' of what you just said a few months ago. Although I didn't appreciate it at the time, I understand (though disagree) with the reasoning behind it.

I've looked at thousands of Reattas over the years, and would give this car a 7 out of ten with a very jaundiced eye.

let me know where another 1991, one owner, corrosion free, all-systems-operating, drive it anywhere car could be found for $3,500.

Mike Rukavina

buickreattaparts.com

I respect your opinion Mike. I would expect nothing less coming from someone in your field (that's not a dig - it's a compliment). Accept that others have a different opinion.

-- Ervin

Hey, I remember Marion Collier, she was on Happy Days with Tom Bosley. They rode around in an old DeSoto.

Now there was a car. I would be interested in the DeSoto as everyone remembers that car.

Oh, wait a minute, maybe I am thinking of Greg Ross's relative. Since the name is the same I bet Greg's supercharged 5 speed is worth lots more money now that it has ties to a celebrity.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist putting a little humor into this.

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

Hey, I remember Marion Collier, she was on Happy Days with Tom Bosley. They rode around in an old DeSoto.

Now there was a car. I would be interested in the DeSoto as everyone remembers that car...

A lot of private owners in LA allow their cars to be used in movies and such. The movie producers canvas car clubs in order to help reduce prop costs. For example, my uncles pristine '76 Buick Century station wagon was in a movie. I think he hooked up with it through the local BCA chapter. (IIRC, it appeared in the 'Dukes of Hazzard'. Somehow, I doubt this adds any value to the car. :D )

Guest steveskyhawk

I think there is some value added to a limited production car that is corrosion free and was driven by a celebrity or appeared in a major motion picture. Many people consider the Sinatra Reattas very valuable.

In the case of this black 91 Reatta, the pricing seems low to me. In many parts of the country, corrosion free, celebrity driven cars don't exist. Marion told me she left the Midwest when she was a teenager. She may have ridden in a Desoto for her escape to Hollywood

The first thing I did was google Marion Collier. I looked at the top 5 google replies and I couldn't even figure out who she is/was and what movies she was in.

Nothing against Marion but there is a big difference between Frank Sinatra and Marion Collier.

Draw a line from the Washington Idaho border south and then go across about Oklahoma all the way to the Atlantic. All the cars on the west and south of that line are going to be rust free. Montana, North Dakota don't use salt and those cars are usually rust free.

Steve is right though about rust free cars being more valuable. I always tell folks looking for a Reatta not to buy a northern car unless the car is verified rust free. I tell them to go south and they will find hundreds of rust free Reattas available at prices indicative of a 20 year old car.

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

Guest Double M

"this car would not be acceptable to any member of the forum"

Who died and made you King?

This speaks volumes to the unneeded snobiness of this forum.

Now you have to have one that meets a particular standard?

What a joke.

It is remarks like this that bring us all down.

Guest steveskyhawk

Jim said "The first thing I did was google Marion Collier. I looked at the top 5 google replies and I couldn't even figure out who she is/was and what movies she was in.

Nothing against Marion but there is a big difference between Frank Sinatra and Marion Collier.

Draw a line from the Washington Idaho border south and then go across about Oklahoma all the way to the Atlantic. All the cars on the west and south of that line are going to be rust free. Montana, North Dakota don't use salt and those cars are usually rust free.

Steve is right though about rust free cars being more valuable."

With all due respect, Jim's failed search of Marian's career or his lack of knowledge regarding Hollywood history, in no way diminish her notoriety. Furthermore I'm not certain why Jim would value a son of a singer's car more than a classic movie actor's.

In regards to the term "rust free" the definition in in Duluth is far different than the definition in Los Angeles for obvious reasons. It is probably fair to say the residents of Duluth have never seen a truly rust free 20 year old car as is commonplace in the Desert Southwest.

Angelo is correct on the "unneeded snobiness of this forum"

Amen

Marian Collier - IMDb

I do not intend to trash anyone here. But while the car has been owned since new by a movie star and her husband,

In the movie that she was in that she mentioned in the ad, she played an uncredited role. Infact, if you look at her IMDB list, there are quite a few uncredited, or minor roles. While this certainly doesn't make her less of an actress, she isn't a highly "well known" one might say. If you say the car was "Owned by Frank Sinatra Jr.", it instantly adds value to the car. EVERYONE knows the name Frank Sinatra. Even if it wasn't the Senior Sinatra, the name still makes a connection to the well-known idol, and therefore adds instant value.

I think this could pretty easily be worth twice or three times the asking price. Of course, I haven't looked at the car, and have only seen the crappy tiny pictures that Craigslist allows one to post, but it looks to be a pretty decent car. It just needs a little love it appears.

I do think Ervin's comment about it not being acceptable to any member on this forum is incorrect. While some like to have pristine examples the Reatta, many (if not most) simply use their Reattas for daily or weekend drivers. Some just want a interesting piece to get them around town (like yours truly).

Can we all just simmer down?

I do not have a car that isn't a "daily driver" (or could be). I just like to drive a Reatta, it suits me and gets 22-23 mpg in mixed driving that is about half freeway.

Will admit have been looking at bikes but it does tend to rain occasionally.

Reminds me of when George Castanza bought "John Voights" car

HA! LOL!! That’s exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Anyone have Any idea what shipping to the right side of our fair country would run? I'm very interested.

The last time I shipped a Reatta from CA to NC was about 9 years ago or more using DAS it was somewhere around $550.00 or so.... with the gas prices today I am sure it would be a bit higher but with the history behind the car, it may be worth while..

Good Luck.

The last time I shipped a Reatta from CA to NC was about 9 years ago or more using DAS it was somewhere around $550.00 or so.... with the gas prices today I am sure it would be a bit higher but with the history behind the car, it may be worth while..

Good Luck.

Not sure how much something like that (being a movie star's car that is) would do around here. Someone would probably make more money selling it out there.

Guest steveskyhawk

The best part about buying this car would be meeting the owner. Maybe she will tell you first hand what she said to Mel Gibson when he wouldn't sell her back the 57 Thunderbird. (At the old price)

Steve-

If her response was 5% as, uh, "descriptive" as some of Mel's well known diatribes, then as they say in Hollywood, "that's entertainment!". I have a good laugh at the notion of a woman I assume to be, shall we say, advanced in age, talking to Mel Gibson like that. Too bad TMZ missed that conversation.

KDirk

Guest tyrel

Oh good lord, as much as i admire Reattas, it's a twenty-year-old car being offered for sale by a minor celebrity that most people have never heard of. I just don't understand the point of this thread.

• 11 months later...
Guest EvieRyland

Hi Everyone...

I'm Marian's assistant (My name is Evie Ryland) -in case you want to look me up on IMDB too. :D

I can't believe this forum thread! It is so entertaining. I just wanted to let you all know that we haven't sold the car, and after I stumbled onto your thread here, it inspired me to re-list it.

So if any of you feel the car is worthy of your attention, or know of someone who may be in the market, we would love to get it out of her garage.

Here's the new Craigslist link: Custom Made 1991 Buick Reatta

ps: Thanks Ervin!

Edited by EvieRyland
Additional thanks (see edit history)

I notice the price has dropped to $2500. Who cares who the previous owner was, that's a good price for a 91 except for the dent in the door.

To the majority who frequent the forum, price is very, very close to being a buy as a project car. Really close.