My 1962 Electra 225

page2171

Got the brakes back together today. Took the car for a spin and the brakes are OK, the shuddering is gone (which is awesome), but the brakes could probably use some more adjusting. As it is, though, it is safely driveable, and it was a real treat to step on the brakes and not have the car shake.

Guest 4 bufords

got my 62 invicta back on the road today after the disc brake conversions,what big diference the discs make.also got the dash lights working,rewired the parking lights so they work with the headlights.can't wait for the cruise season,4 bufords from ct

Looking back, I wish I had done the disc brake conversion. My reasoning for sticking with the drums was that I wanted to get it back on the road quickly. But, as you can see by looking at the dates of my posts, this has been anything but quick, and in the time I spent putzing around with this I probably could have done the disc conversion.

• 9 months later...

Well...it sure has been a while since I have posted anything, let alone anything here. Anyway, to catch up a little bit, when I left off I had the brakes working but wasn't completely happy with them. Through the spring I drove the car occasionally and after some time and some more brake adjustments I got the brakes working to the point where I was confident driving it more. Then in May I received orders to Okinawa, so I started driving the Buick more frequently to make sure it was roadworthy in case I needed to drive it to Minnesota to be put in storage at my father-in-law's house. In July I sold my truck (my daily driver) in preparation for our move, so I was left with driving the Buick to work (unless my wife didn't need her car that day). Driving the Buick to work was mostly fun. It drew lots of attention and started lots of conversations, but July in SW Georgia is not a fun time to be driving a car with no A/C. In August we left Georgia and visited family prior to our departure for Okinawa. We ended up towing the Buick to Wisconsin (my mom's house was our first family visit stop) and then I drove it the rest of the way to my brother-in-law's (about an 8 hour drive). So, now, the Buick is in storage and I am in Okinawa for three years with my wife and kids. Obviously any work on the Buick is on hold until we get back to the states, but this will also give me a chance to save up some money for working on it when we get back.

• 5 years later...

Bringing back an old thread.  It has been a long time.  To make a long story short, a three year tour in Okinawa turned into four years and retiring from the Marine Corps.  Retiring from the military from overseas can be challenging, and it took a while after we got back to the U.S. to get a job, find a place to live, and get settled a bit.  Thankfully my brother-in-law is really cool and had no problem storing the Buick for me for almost six years.  He had intended to start it up and drive it around to keep everything working, but two years in he had a problem getting it started, and so it sat for the last four years.  With the help of a friend who let me borrow his trailer, I was able to bring the Buick home finally.  Now to see if I can get it running again.

TruckStuff2.jpg.39cd12b38d7189d59a069e1241306bbc.jpg

62Electra-20190706.jpg.afee164e1253c270e7c4b56ced5005bb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...