Power Vent option

mt65riv

I'm going thru the trunk on my '65 - it's full of misc. parts - and I came across a power vent motor. The question is should I, or can I, find another motor and the wiring/control panel to add this option to my car. I am changing from a power window single inside door, to a dual handle door anyway. Any ideas? Who might have the other pieces?

It looks like the motor works on a standard vent by removing the manual handle and bolting the power unit in the existing holes. Is that correct?

Later,

Mike

Guest Rob J

I'm not totally sure, but I believe there is something to the affect that the car must have had cruise control option to have the correct wiring harness to add this option. Again, I could be wrong and confused with something else, since I'm still fairly new to the 65 Riv scene, so research what I just said. Tom Mooney would know the answer to this.

Rob.

I'm not totally sure, but I believe there is something to the affect that the car must have had cruise control option to have the correct wiring harness to add this option. Again, I could be wrong and confused with something else, since I'm still fairly new to the 65 Riv scene, so research what I just said. Tom Mooney would know the answer to this.

Rob.

While I can't say that this makes it any sort of certainty, my '64 has the power vents and NO cruise but the plugs under the hood for the cruise are there unconnected.

In the body manual, it shows 2 wiring harnesses. One for standard and one for deluxe. I'll have to check the other cars that have AC, etc. to see if they have the pigtails. I know that there is separate wiring for the vents, just like the headlight minder. Has anyone tried the motors/wires from a full sized 65-66 Buick? It looks like they might interchange. There's still the power panel switches that look like Rivi only.

Mike

There is some confusion on this issue. The standard and deluxe wiring harnesses apply to the cruise and Guidematic options. They have nothing to do with the power window options.

When installed with power windows the power vent harness is taped together with the window harness. The vents can be added simply by adding the additional harness.

Some things to consider...the motors have become very expensive because the Chevy guys are adding them to the Impalas and the street rod guys are incorporating them into their rods. So there is demand for the motors.

The aluminum gears strip out in these very easily, it`s about a 75% chance any used motors will also have stripped gears. The gears are available in repro but are expensive at about $75 (?) per gear.

As Steve has stated, you will need the proper switch plates. They are hard to find in unpitted condition and are a difficult piece to acceptably rechrome due to the level of their detail.

After all is said and done one could easily get wrapped up in this for $3-400...plus labor. The job is not difficult but is time consuming to do it right.

Having said that, I personally like this option, especially on a non-AC equipped car...and it cleans up the appearance of the door panel. Good luck!

Tom Mooney

Rob,

I will have to check tonight but I believe I have the harnesses and the correct trim plates for the vent option. I do not have the vent motors or the switches. Let me know if you have an interest.

Thanks,

Ron

PM sent, Ron.

• 3 years later...

Wow, it's been a while since I posted this. I was out getting some parts to fix my daughter's car today at an abandoned service station. The guy had the car I was getting parts from and a '65 Rivi. It was pretty picked over but still had the doors/seats/dash and that was about it. It had both the power vents and the guidematic headlight thingy. I tried like crazy to get the car or at least the parts but the owner of the car couldn't be found... lets hope I can find them.

I did hear from a friend that is into 'Vettes that the headlamp motor on the popup '70s-'80s cars is the same as power vents. He said that he has used them on a couple chevys. The question is are there different motors for different cars? He sold the last three he had at a swap meet for pretty cheap... Might be an alternative.

Still working on the floors in mine - what a PITA the replacement pieces are...

Mike you should check with some of our supporters like Rivi Central in CA or Gene at AB+G as I know they have what you need. I do know Gene sells complete used parts kits to change over as I personally saw them in his shop. Good Luck

I have all of my vent window stuff at Matt's shop. When I can get to it, I'll scan a wiring schematic that I drew up with to make an power vent harness. It's a stand alone harness that gets its power from the same circuit breaker as the power windows and power seat.

Ed

Thanks for the leads. I did see an original wiring harness - yellow or orange wires I think - and it was easy to take out when the interior was gutted. I didn't get that harness though... I need the switches/motors/wires. Got the panels from here a few years ago. My car came with one motor but I think the mount was wrong. I'll have to look into that again.

Mike

Here's the diagram I drew up for installing vent windows in my '64. I came up with two doors from a '63 that were complete with motors, switches, escutcheons, and connectors. The wires had been cutoff in the door jambs so I had existing wires from the connectors in the correct colors. All I needed to do was connect to a power source (the OEM power wire connects to the main power window harness) at the circuit breaker. As a matter of fact, I run two circuit breakers. I piggy backed off the original to install the second one. Now the windows run off one and the seat off the other. I just had to make a harness that would run from from the driver's door, through the jamb, across the dash, through the passenger jamb, and into that door. Just make sure you get the correct gauge wire.

Vent window wiring diagram.PDF

Vent window wiring diagram.PDF