'30 Chrysler spindles/brakes safety

Guest demoderby13

Guest demoderby13

In my effort to avoid using Ford parts on my '30 Chrysler hot rod I am searching for a production disk brake that will work on the original spindles. If i can find what I'm looking for I plan to run the original I beam and steering using the original spindles. What would the down fall be to going this route? The factory set up seem to be in good shape, but as steering and suspension are very important safety factors i wanted get some input from the community. Please let me know what you think.

What you are doing is possible but I doubt you can buy any ready made parts. There are companies like Fatman fabrications that do disc brake conversions but not that old. You could do a Google search and find out.

If you want to do your own adaptation here is what I suggest. Get the spindles off a 1979 Ford 1/2 ton pickup with twin I beam suspension. Ford used king pins up to 79 if I am not mistaken, after that they went to ball joints.

OK if you have the spindles you will have to adapt them to the axle. This will probably require making bushings or boring out the king pin hole in the axle. In any case, a straight forward job for the machine shop. You will also have to revise the steering arm.

Once this is done you can simply bolt on Ford disc brakes, hubs, bearings and seals.

That is one way to do it. The other way is to adapt modern hubs onto your old spindles and make a custom bracket to hold the caliper. This can also be done but is more work than changing the spindle.