1923 Buick Roadster

Guest Clarkwood

Guest Clarkwood

This is a 1923 4 cyl. roadster. My grandfather owned this car since the 50's and left it to me a few years ago. It runs and drives well, but it obviously needs a little sprucing up. The car always looked beautiful, and will look great with new paint and a new top. It has been garaged since the original restoration over 50 years ago. I also have 50 years worth of collected parts including a complete spare motor (not restored) and radiator, plus lots of odds and ends.

I am sorry to part with it, but don't have the time needed to tinker with it. He took this car to numerous shows in upstate New York over his lifetime and was active in car clubs in the Albany area. This was a show car until he got too old to keep it up. I also have a 1930 Model A in similar condition and plan to invest some of the sale proceeds in that car. I am sure that many of the folks on this forum will disagree with my choice of what to keep.

I am asking $ 12,000 for the car and every part and accessory that I have for it. I am located near Atlantic City, New Jersey. If you contact me, I can provide additional photos.

Scott Sherwood

scott.sherwood@comcast.net

609-204-5910

post-74566-143138494719_thumb.jpg

post-74566-14313849472_thumb.jpg

post-74566-143138494721_thumb.jpg

post-74566-143138494722_thumb.jpg

Wow nice. Hey experts though is red correct valve cover color. (Scott I am not trying to say anything bad but was just curious) Very cool car I would hold onto it as you suggested we will not probably agree with decision on which car to sell.

Guest Clarkwood

I know that it is hard to value a car like this. After reading so many other posts, I was hoping for some more feedback regarding the car. In other words, if someone is interested, make me an offer. If it is worth too little, I may just keep it, but it really is a great car.

Guest Clarkwood

Thanks for your comments. I am guessing that the engine has been that color for 50 years. My grandfather told me that he never saw another 23 roadster at any of the shows he attended.

Very nice Scott. I'm no expert, but I would think your price is very reasonable. If I had the money handy (and the wife's permission), I'd be jumping on this. As for which car you are selling, it is your decision and it means someone else gets into a pre-war Buick. Now, if those lottery numbers come through....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Clarkwood

I have had some interest in the car, but it is still available. If anyone has any interest but thinks my price is high, let me know and we can talk. This car comes with an extensive collection of parts including an entire spare engine, radiator, wheels, gas tank, and other odds and ends.

• 1 month later...
Guest Clarkwood

I am writing to advise that this car is still available. Please contact me for more pictures or information. Thanks.

Leif

I was looking through " 70 years of Buick" . but could not find model 39. 23-34 was th 4 cylinder roadster, 23-44 the 118" wheel base roadster and 23-54 the 124" weelbase roadster. In the 4 cylinder line they went from 34 through to 38. Did they have variations of these exported to Europe or maybe Mclauchlan Buick

PS. I have just read further and found an entry, "Later in the year the Model 23-39 Sport Roadster was introduced" production run 1,971 compared to 5,768 for the Model 34. I wonder what the differance was.

Rod

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Clarkwood

I am sorry I did not respond to recent posts. I have to check my email settings.

I have had some interest, but as of now the car is still available and I am not looking to trade it for something else. I am trying to downsize my collection to two cars.

I appreciate the positive feedback and if anyone would like more photos or a closer look, please contact me.

Leif

I was looking through " 70 years of Buick" . but could not find model 39. 23-34 was th 4 cylinder roadster, 23-44 the 118" wheel base roadster and 23-54 the 124" weelbase roadster. In the 4 cylinder line they went from 34 through to 38. Did they have variations of these exported to Europe or maybe Mclauchlan Buick

PS. I have just read further and found an entry, "Later in the year the Model 23-39 Sport Roadster was introduced" production run 1,971 compared to 5,768 for the Model 34. I wonder what the differance was.

Rod

Rod: I had a great conversation with Dave Eberts of the BCA Prewar Division last night. He owns a Model 39. It was a late in the year gussied up version of the Model 34 with many trim differences. Very interesting. You may want to contact him. Let us know what your cowl tag says.

Guest Clarkwood

I have an original 1923 owners manual but it is for the six cylinder models. The only 2 passenger roadster listed there is the 23-6-44. I always assumed that my car must be a 23-4-44. I will look again for a model number.

I was a little confused by the posts about parts lists. However, if anyone wants to know what part I have they include a complete, but not restored, motor, head gaskets, a radiator, gas tank, wheels, shifter, starter/generator and lots of pieces of small hardware.

• 2 months later...

Have you sold this car?

I just saw the it or the twin with the exact same owner story for sale in Astoria, NY for $15750. Can you give me an idea of its true condition if it is the same car. Is it on consignment? Thanks

Guest Clarkwood

It is the same car. I sold it to a dealer this summer. I would have rather found an individual collector but no one else showed interest. The info on the dealers listing is accurate. I think the car is in pretty good shape.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I will just search this site for good deals. Do not feel like paying a dealer the what I imagine is a huge mark-up. But thanks for your reply.