1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start"

jackofalltrades70

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. I have been really getting "close" to the paint and have found a few more defects that I cannot live with. But, NOT so many that I shouldn't be able to take care of all of them when I get my other batch of parts ready to be painted.

We had a pretty bad storm this last week which knocked out the power for a day and after helping out the neighbors and pumping out the basement (4 inches of rain and hail in 45 minutes) I have been in cleanup mode and kicking myself for not having my new generator installed. I finally was able to purchase one after the hurricane Sandy mess and then I "fergot" about finishing up and wiring everything up so it is "legal" and SAFE. So, I should be able to finish that up this week. Then, back to the car.

Should have my rebuilt transmission sometime this week for the 56' so that will take a day or two to install. So much work, so little time for cars. Matt

Matt, I'm going over your posts from the last couple of weeks, and man, you've done an amazing amount of work. Its sounds like you're doing it right; "plan, plan, plan, then DO". Looks like its paying off. And thanks for sharing so many of the progress photos. It really is encouraging to see the progress. I know you were down awhile back because you were unable to do a lot, but now you are really making headway. kudos!

You must smile every time you flip on the garage light? :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since the hood has to be masaged Matt, I might suggest top coating the entire car with clear coast after it has been wet sanded. Here's an observation from my experience ( which is admittedly very little): Polishing after wet sanding often leaves swirls on the finish. These can be masked by todays clear coat waxes and glazes but they do not seem to go away. Now, I am probably doing something wrong that I wind up with this BUT I do know that if you wet sand and then throw another coat of clear ( or even single stage color) on, the new layer will come out much smoother to begin with. And keeping in mind that it is not good to have too much paint on the car alltogether, I believe that if you keep wet sanding and then top coating, eventually you will have a finish that does not need either wet sanding or polishing. Look at new cars. No swirling on those babies. I bet they do not even have to wet sand or polish during the manufacturing process.

Guys;

I like the comments, my observations are that for the most part new cars have nice paint jobs, but there are a few exceptions. The interesting thing I find is that even the lesser priced cars often have quite nice paint work.

About wet sanding, I've wet sanded and polished most of '41, and I put enough clear on to do this, but I cannot get all the swirls out, no matter what I do.

I bought the pro grade compounds and buffers with the hope that I wouldn't have this, so maybe I need to use glaze as well?

Matt, sorry, I don't mean to highjack your thread! Hope to see some pictures soon.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)

I never have problems getting sanding scratches out, but swirl marks from the buffer require several different grades of compound and pads. I usually use 3 different levels of compound, and a different pad for each one. I started doing this on my black paint cars, and it works perfectly. They look like glass.

• 5 weeks later...

After sanding 85% of the orange peel off of the back half of the car, it looks better, but still need to do the other 15%. It buffed out nice, but has the typical swirls from the buffer. As Adam says, these should come out with lighter compounds and different pads. I have to get the hood put back on and re-arrange the hanging parts.......wifey wants her side of the garage back. It snowed this morning! haha Matt

I never have problems getting sanding scratches out, but swirl marks from the buffer require several different grades of compound and pads. I usually use 3 different levels of compound, and a different pad for each one. I started doing this on my black paint cars, and it works perfectly. They look like glass.

Wait a minute, I just looked at your signature. you don't have a black car?

Well, following the prescribed "Wet sand and wet sand, then wet sand some more and buff", I was able to spend an hour or so in the garage doing just that today. I took my time and turned on the music. Had the heat on and had a great time with the car. If anyone would have been listening, they would think that I'd have gone crazy or that I had a woman in there and was trying to seduce her. I have two pictures to load here so you can see the results of before and after. This was only after buffing with a "heavy cut" compound. I didn't want to change out the bonnet and lo

ok for the lighter compound. It's funny how "fat" we look when we take pictures of our paint!

post-72076-143142277524_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142277514_thumb.jpg

I am dedicating at least 1 hour per night during the week to wet sanding. If I do not do this, I'll never get past this stage. It might take a couple of weeks, but I am moving along. I have several spots that are gonna need touching up, but I was expecting worse as I hadn't painted in 25+ years or so. Here are a couple more pictures. I get ahead of myself, but I also cannot help myself! Haha:p

post-72076-14314228106_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142281046_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142281053_thumb.jpg

Guest 4 bufords
I am dedicating at least 1 hour per night during the week to wet sanding. If I do not do this, I'll never get past this stage. It might take a couple of weeks, but I am moving along. I have several spots that are gonna need touching up, but I was expecting worse as I hadn't painted in 25+ years or so. Here are a couple more pictures. I get ahead of myself, but I also cannot help myself! Haha:p

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223391[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]223392[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]223393[/ATTACH]

looks great matt,4 bufords

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Matt!

I hope the cold weather is about finishing soon. This year was awsome the extreme cold weather conditions at North. The same issue downhere... last week we had temperatures about 47°C (116°F). In Buenos Aires, the last great "heat" was 52 years ago. Then, it rains how if here were tropical weather and several neighborhoods at the city and surroundings gets flood. Every time the weather changes worsens. I hope you and your family are well.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...