1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start"

jackofalltrades70

Showtime 90 HVLP Turbine Unit with ProLine Spray Paint Guns - TP Tools & Equipment

John,

I picked up one for a song. Heard a lot of good things about these. Buick5563 just bought one and he likes his also. Good support also.

Too bad that you couldn't have made it. Maybe next year. I'll buy the first round! Matt

Heck, if I knew you were buying drinks I would have been there! Glad the trip was a $ucce$$ : )

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased to announce that I worked on the car tonight for an hour or so. I worked on the trunk lid for awhile and removed the handle and locking mechanism. Does anyone have a breakdown of how these come apart? My handle spins like a pins is sheared or missing some sort of a key. I also worked on organizing the garage, getting parts up off the floor, hung on the walls, put in the attic, etc. Sure does feel nice to be back in the swing of things. Matt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My convertible top bow is finished and should be shipping back to me on Tuesday. Still slowly organizing the garage. Putting away extra parts, organizing junk and getting things a little more orderly so I can move around and get back in the groove. It's always hard when this time of year comes around. No motivation. Matt

1947 Buick Super. Model 56C

Hey Matt, I would say Cliff's ride is plenty of MOTIVATION!

Glad to see a post from you, and that organization is happening. I always feel better after moving out what I don't need so I can see what else I don't need :) Show us some pics when you get a chance...even if its only something small.

My convertible top bow is finished and should be shipping back to me on Tuesday. Still slowly organizing the garage. Putting away extra parts, organizing junk and getting things a little more orderly so I can move around and get back in the groove. It's always hard when this time of year comes around. No motivation. Matt

Well, I got my new convertible bow back and it looks good wrapped up in the plastic! haha. I have to dig out the convertible top and figure out what I am gonna do with it and how much money it will cost me................it really looks as if taking everything apart and having the parts that are chromed, re-chromed is pretty darn difficult. Looks like pivot pins will have to be pressed or drilled out and then I'll have to make new ones to put it back together. Anyways it looks like PennDutch restorations did a wonderful job on the wooden bow steam-bending. Thanks Jeff! Matt

Made it out into the garage for 5 hours today. Dug out the convertible top, put it in the car again, and bolted the new bow on. Looks nice. I figured out how to get the "chromed" parts off of the top assembly. I will then have the rest blasted and powdercoated I think. I also removed the stainless pieces over the two windshield glasses. I cleaned all of the repaints, primer and more primer that were all over these. They are going to need some finess work in the dent removal department. I also have a little more trim to remove from the car so I can finish up some of these last areas that are pending before finishing the bodywork and having it ready for paint. Anyways, it felt good to be out in the garage again and working on the car again! matt

Edited by jackofalltrades70
chrome/stainless confused!!!!???? (see edit history)

Made it out into the garage for 5 hours today. ... Anyways, it felt good to be out in the garage again and working on the car again! matt

Amen Brother Matt. I was out dealing with a sticky issue on the GS too. Felt good to hear it running for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Another fine day in the garage...........Took the header off of the convertible top. It was dented, rusted through in a couple spots and pitted horribly. Welded up all of the holes, pulled the dents out and put a layer of bondo on it for starters.

Worked on the seat awhile also. I worked on the passenger side seat back and started covering the cushion for the seat back. Might not look like much, but took me 6 hours to do all of this........Moving forward.post-72076-143141748129_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141748103_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141748113_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141748121_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141748136_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141748143_thumb.jpg

Guest 48buickkid

Just read all of this thread and I have to say that you do amazing work and your motivation and lack of fear are inspiring me for my 1947 special. I lucked out on the floors being pretty solid but it still needs a lot of rust work. Out of curiosity what ever happened to the 56c you started with(said it was being stored outside and then never heard about it again)? Future resto? I was originally planning to be at this years BCA in south bend but due to a very bad wiring harness and needing a complete mechanical over hau at the leastl with my budget I may have to wait till it comes around my area again. Can't wait to see some more progress on this beauty.

48buickkid, thanks for the comments. I haven't been doing much on the car and have just started to motivate myself again. There are a lot of great people here on the chat board and The BCA is a great club to meet a huge number of people that share your same love for Buicks. The 56C, sits outside and has mostly been stripped as parts for the Roadmaster. Some of its parts are funding repairs and parts I need for this build. I have other lines for another car, just have to finish this one before I start another.

By the way, my skills are something that anyone can do that is willing to try. I have never done a full restore on a car before this one. It takes patience and planning. If those things are followed the work kinda falls into place and is much easier. Matt

Guest shadetree77

Might not look like much, but took me 6 hours to do all of this........Moving forward.

Man, do I know what you mean. I'm at a similar point. Things are moving very slowly here. I just have to keep telling myself that even a little bit of progress is still PROGRESS. Keep on keepin' on brother!

Guest 48buickkid

I know what you mean, I redid a dash on a 66 cadillac on the cheap for a friend in the black "Angel Hair" material and was newb enough to think that $18.99 bought the whole roll I was thinking man thats a hell of good price. Then the lady informed me it was by the yard and steered me to a %50 off coupon. I walked away with 3 yards instead. I did look at their foam too and thought it was a little pricey for the quality. Anyone know of good wholesale places with good products at a decent price? I want to get into doing upholstery someday. What sewing machine did you use matt? Or was it by hand? I really dig the way your seats came out.

Well now, let's see here.............Today, I just went to the garage for some tools to work with. Spent all day working on the interior in the house, nice and warm! Didn't even take off my slippers! Today was a LONG day to say the least. Door panels and rear quarter panel interior panels were the agenda of the day. May not be perfect, but I am quite satisfied with the outcome so far. I will mark the door panel later and install a carpet kick at the bottom. Need to see if I can find a trim strip to make the transition from the vinyl to the carpet. I dug out my window switches and bezels and they are now in their place on the panels. It was nice to have a weekend to dedicate to the car, but man am I tired.

post-72076-143141760391_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141760341_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141760355_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141760366_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141760372_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141760379_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141760385_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141760398_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141760405_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

MATT, if you're looking for a generic stainless steel trim strip for your door panels, consider rear quarter panel mouldings from an MGB. They're about 3/8" wide, have a nice convex face, are snapped onto disc fasteners that can be screwed or riveted to the backing panel. They're straight, with a gentle horizontal curve that can easily be flattened. However, I'm not sure they're long enough for your doors and my MG is in winter storage, so I can't measure them for you. If they are long enough, they can be cut to length. The cut end can be finish-bent with pliers and buffed out on a wheel.

These mouldings are $9 each from Moss Motors, plus $0.50 each for the fasteners - MossMotors.com - Restoration Parts And Accessories For British Cars

Any local shop that specializes in British sports cars can get them for you and might even have them in stock. Don't worry, they won't infect your Buick's electrical system - they're probably made in China, not England.