1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start"

jackofalltrades70

Car is at home, safe in the garage! Still no pictures:mad: Wife made me come in after I got the car home and in place. Said I spent too much time out there today. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. I gotta get the dash out of the car, and cut the top windshield frames out and prepare for mounting the replacement. I'll post pictures when I get everything cleaned up.:D

Tonight, upper cowl section and winshield section off the car!:D Tomorrow I dress up the other cowl section and start fitting and welding.:D I have to take out the rest of the things off the firewall. Will also coat the areas that I won't be able to reach after having it back in place. Put up a few pictures of my "garage art"! It's nice to find Vintage Automotive stuff with your own last name!

post-72076-143138735091_thumb.jpg

post-72076-1431387351_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138735108_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138735116_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138735123_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138735131_thumb.jpg

post-72076-14313873514_thumb.jpg

Still have some more fitting to do so the cowl sets back where it is supposed to. I'm quite suprised with my progress!:D I want to take my time and assure myself that the windshield is "square" with the doors, so still have to put the passenger side vent window frame on and make a few more small adjustments so it sits back on the lower section correctly. Ordered new body mounts and shims from BOB's yesterday, so it will be Thurs. or Friday before I can really move too far forward again. But, I assure you that I'll find something to do on it until that time.

post-72076-143138735248_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138735256_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138735264_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the garage tonight! Worked on the drivers floor pan. I have 4 spots with little pin holes. Luckily I have the body from a 2 door sedan to cut the patch panels from. I have sinus headache and man I feel like crap! Got my "miracle paint" from Hirsch today and cannot wait to get the floors finished up so I can get it all coated. Ran out of wire for the welder. So off to the gettin' store tomorrow for more.

post-72076-143138746239_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:DHaven't posted four awhile, because haven't had much time to do much to the Buick. Made some progress with the floors and am almost ready to seal and coat. Have all of the hydraulic lines out and need to buy new line and start bending. I have realized that before I can go too much further, gonna have to buy the wiring harness. A lot runs behind the firewall insulation for the power windows, seats, etc. Gonna have to buy it sooner or later anyways. I managed to find rear ashtrays for the car and now have a spare set. Little by little, finding everything I need.:D

post-72076-143138806947_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138806956_thumb.jpg

Well, snowed Friday night and Saturday morning. About 3". So spent part of the morning removing snow from the driveway and sidewalks. Managed to tackle the carburetor and get it back on the car, along with the radiator and mounting brackets. Today, I managed to repair some "speaker" hole that was put in the rear. I guess the top was never lowered?? Or, everything hung into the trunk area. Anyways, I cut a new piece of steel and welded it in. Floors are now ready to be coated. Gotta get my brushes and rollers for tomorrow evening. Hopefully, I have more pictures of a completed floor then. Matt:)

post-72076-143138811558_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138811567_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138811575_thumb.jpg

Good eye, FirstBorn!!! this thread really started out as my '47 56C project. Since the Super needed SO MUCH sheet metal work, I started on the 76C car. I have laid a lot of "fears" behind me with this car, when it comes to repairing rust. Heck, I even managed to cut the cowl section off and put a different one on.:D Gonna try to get as much done as I possibly can during these cold months that I can't do anything else! This is what I got accomplished tonight. Still have to touch up some areas that I couldn't reach. :eek:MENTAL NOTE: When Bill Hirsh says: Do not get Miracle paint on your skin. Don't! Just trust me. I got a couple spots on my arms that I didn't see. I'll look cute for the meetings in the morning!:eek:

post-72076-14313881234_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138812348_thumb.jpg

Hope you are planning on keeping it Sienne Blue. It's a great color that looks blue in some light and grey in other. This color was used by Cadilliac only in 1946 and only 1947 by Buick. I have a 1947 Roadmaster sedan in Sienne Blue. It's an HPOF car. These pictures are of the same Roadmaster in different light. Your car would look great in this color.

post-50475-14313881734_thumb.jpg

post-50475-143138817346_thumb.jpg

post-50475-1431388176_thumb.jpg

Check in the mail for the wiring harness. I went with Narragansett. Their lead time is good, price is one of the better ones and they've made the harness before and will be making mine with one for a 48 roadmaster convertible. I'll let you know and post pictures when I get it in 3 - 4 weeks. Meanwhile, I've got some body work to start doing and new hydraulic lines to make. Got to dig the dash back out and prepare to mount it back in.

On the funny side of things, I quoted a new interior from Lebarron Bonney! :eek: I will probably order some things from them, but the seats,etc. will have to wait until I find some real money. I'll be making my own door panels and seat coverings until I win the Megamillions!:D

On the funny side of things, I quoted a new interior from Lebarron Bonney! :eek: I will probably order some things from them, but the seats,etc. will have to wait until I find some real money. I'll be making my own door panels and seat coverings until I win the Megamillions!:D

LOL... I guess this is a skill we all should learn.

Well now, let's see...........Cleaned up the garage for a couple of hours Friday night. Believe me, it needed it. Dust and dirt everywhere from where I blew the floors out before coating them. Washed the wifes car, as it shares the garage with the buick. Started bodywork on the passenger side. Used my studwelder to pull out some dents and sanded and pulled off the pontoons and fender extensions. Managed to get some filling primer on some pieces. No pictures tonight. Too tired. Things are really starting to come together. The body repairs look like they are going to be pretty straight forward and quick. A little welding here and there to repair some rust, but not too awful much. I like the studwelder. New tool to use. :D Matt

Guest Rob McDonald

"cut the cowl section off and put a different one on"

Wow, that's the metalwork equivalent of a human head transplant - is it really the head or the body that's being transplanted? Nice work - and so brave.

Guest colombiancarparts

I really like your project, I am thinking of starting with a 46 buick myself. I wonder, will you consider selling your spare convertible top frame. I am in Colombia South America.

Thanks

Douglas

Well, since the Hampton Coach interior is out of the question for now. I've been looking at options tonight, (while I drink tequilla):P I just have to decide on color now of the material. I think I'll be able to put something together that is pretty economical, looks nice because its gonna be a driver anyways and I'll have the satisfaction of doing it myself. Now, gotta find my glass and fill 'er up again! This cold fightin' is fun stuff. Bad thing is I can't go to the garage when I'm doing this........:D

Matt, keep the faith. Great job thus far on your 76C! Just keep working in stages and you will get her done. Pic's are great and show progress. Keep them coming.

Of course, tequila never hurt anything when doing what we do with our cars. :D

Just wondering....................., how many project of this nature have you undertaken, or help with over the years?

I'm betting you and I would get along just great, NOT AFRAID TO TACKLE ABOUT ANYTHING.

Good for you, and GOOD FOR US to read and see your progress.

Best wishes, FOR SURE!

Dale in Indy

Ok, for all of you wondering.............this is my first restore on any car. I have done some light bodywork, worked on motors/trannies on everything from mopeds to Caterpillar dozers. I've had the opportunity to work on many Antique automobiles for others. I'm really enjoying the fact that I finally have my own cars that I'm able to work on and make progress with. I've lived out of the country several times working, so having a project of this magnitude was just out of the question.

Now for update: I have material samples coming for the interior. Should have them in a day or so. Then, just have to send a check and wait for the material. Gotta get over this sinus problem. Can't stand being in the garage with a respirator/filter on when you can't breathe.:eek: Matt

Hey fellas! Got quite a bit done this weekend. But, no pictures yet. I have dust all over everything. Worked on bodywork for about 5 hours Saturday night. Removed all of the rest of the fender and door extentions. Removed all the rest of the bullet holes and bumped out some more dents. Trying to figure out the trunk lid. Has quite a few crinkles in the sheet metal. Almost like someone set something really heavy right in the center of the middle of the trunk lid. I beat the crap out of the creases and pulled out some of the dents that I could see. I have a "BIG" bullet hole in the lid that I need to get shut and welded. Not sure how I'm gonna do that yet.

I need another 12-16 hours to finish the bodywork, I think. Still don't have the front end here to start on, but with all the fender and door extentions, I have enough to keep busy. I will post some more pictures when I get the garage cleaned up a little more. 3 more weeks and Narragansett will be finished with the wiring harness. I am still waiting on my cloth samples for the interior so I can finish picking the color and fabric type.

Matt

Another fine Saturday! Spent another 3-4 hours in the garage today. I really feel as though I'm getting somewhere now.:D Things are starting to come together and my welding capabilities are ever increasing! I worked on fenders and panel extensions today to see if I could get rid of all of the rusted out areas. Mission accomplished! I was able to bump out some more little dents and straighten some more areas. It's amazing how much abuse a car can go through! Tomorrow I'll finish grinding and blending and then try to finish up some bodywork on the trunk lid. Getting closer............

Got my samples on fabric for the interior today. Now I'm really not sure how I want to do this:confused:. I thought I knew what I wanted, now after looking, I'm not sure of how I want to go forward. Enjoy the pictures. :D

post-72076-143138845095_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138845104_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138845113_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138845121_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138845128_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138845136_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138845145_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138845154_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138845162_thumb.jpg

Fabric, Aren't you going to go with Leather on the interior ?

Bill,

I would love to do the leather interior! My finances, however will not allow it and thus I will be trying to do all of the work myself. Getting the wifey to let me spend anything extra on the car is "difficult" at least. I spend a whole lot more than she knows anyways! :eek:Whoops, did I say that out loud.:eek: I got my samples and don't like my idea, but I am considering a all vinyl interior that would look closer to original. Still I have to do the work and I've got a neat idea I'm gonna try when I make my door panels.

This car is gonna be my driver and probably the only car I'll have. Maybe at a later time, if the "Money Gods" have mercy on me, or I hit the lotto, I'll get the right interior from Lebaron Bonney! Matt

Not too much to report. Still working on a little bodywork. Bumping metal is a work of art! I like my studwelder and am getting better at straightening panels. Broke up the monotony and wire wheeled the area under the rear fenders to remove the old undercoating. Some of the stuff flaked right off, while other parts is gonna take a lot more work to remove. Not too much time in the garage this weekend. Rested! I'll try to get some more done during the week. Matt

I spend a whole lot more than she knows anyways! Whoops, did I say that out loud.

This reminds me of a friend of mine, who came up to me one Monday morning and said "If you see a single 60 yr. old guy around here, it'll be me!" It seems he misled his wife as to how much some engine parts cost, and he was telling some of his car buddies about the REAL cost of them, but his wife was around the corner, and heard every word, so he was in serious dodo for quite a while.

I won't tell though

Guest Caribou
This reminds me of a friend of mine, who came up to me one Monday morning and said "If you see a single 60 yr. old guy around here, it'll be me!" It seems he misled his wife as to how much some engine parts cost, and he was telling some of his car buddies about the REAL cost of them, but his wife was around the corner, and heard every word, so he was in serious dodo for quite a while.

I won't tell though

"It'll be an investment. This thing is only going to increase in value."

Some girls can actually light furniture on fire with their eyes. It's amazing.

A guy has to fairly NAIVE to think HIS wife hasn't HID a few purchases over the years.

I don't keep tabs on my bride's spending, I do kid her though about, NOT KNOWING THE DIFFERENCE OF AN ITEM, FOR SALE, and one that is, ON SALE. I bet most have heard her say, OH NO, THAT'S NOT NEW, I'VE HAD THAT A LONG TIME, sure!!!!!!

Got to LOVE my bride.

Dale in Indy

More bodywork tonight. Only about an hour or so. Had a lot of dust and undercoating to clean/sweep and vacuum up of of the floor and anywhere that had a horizontal surface. It seems to be coming along nicely. Still, since I haven't done this stuff in a long, long while and nothing ever this intense, I still catch myself wondering if I'm doing it correctly. Getting closer on making a decision on my interior material. There is some nice "faux" leather out there that is really impressive stuff. I am open to any and all pictures, (the more detailed the better) of any 46, 47 or 48 buick convertible interiors. Especially interested in door panel detail shots, the rear seating area and the convertible top tray area. I will be making all of these myself, so I want every possibility that I might be able to get it somewhat close to original. Matt