1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start"

jackofalltrades70

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have pretty much sanded my fingerprints off at this point. But, I am almost done sanding. A few more interior parts and then I can move forward. Been putting in a lot of long hours working on this and my 56'. Getting closer to repaint is like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Will soon be bringing the 48' convertible home from storage to prepare for the rust repair and see if I can get the engine freed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest buckfarmer

Hi, Matt

I just purchased a 1948 model 76c parts car, and am looking at another 1947 model 56c parts car. Can you tell me how much different the cars are? right now I am assuming the doors and rear fenders are the same? I assume the diference is in the front hood and fenders, is this correct?

Thanks, Neil

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally settled back down in the garage working on the 47' again. Right after painting last fall, I had a mishap with a cord reel and painted parts hanging from the ceiling:(. I have almost completed all of the rest of the sanding before repainting, so I started the bodywork yesterday on the hood and passenger fender. 9af02e2879f15984a72cfeec6d209197.jpg20e3aec8347b07c3612ee3ad600b9ac1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well, been working hard, long hours getting the car ready for paint as It is going to bee too cold to keep the garage heated enough to make it happen.

Today, I sprayed a couple parts to adjust the gun. Happy with the results and tomorrow in the 60's, so tomorrow afternoon will be spraying the car, I hope!

Nice to see a part without orange peel.....

6ccddd36e9f03983a61aa97e53cf0e3c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind words. Getting a car ready for paint is a very hard job. Painting a car is an art! And right now I am an inspired artist and LEARNING from my mistakes. Very expensive way to learn when you don't have a good person to learn from.

Working with the newer paints and clears is also another obstacle, from what I hear, but don't have anything to compare to.

Matt,

Just caught up with the posting. WOW!! Really great job on the paint! You are right on the learning curve, but looks like you have mastered that! Can't wait to see it as you complete the car build.

This weekend was pretty uneventful in the garage....... A lot of 1500,2000,2500 grit sanding on the cowl section steering column and dash. My poor fingers are cut and beat to death on the ends. I am almost finished with that part. Maybe another hour. I also worked on the pontoons for the passenger side. Almost ready to polish all of that out. Then I will install those.

More pictures later. I'm pooped!

Matt

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Been forever since I posted.......i have re-painted all of the spots I burnt through the clear and applied three more coats of clear. I have ordered the new weatherstrip for under the hood and should have it Tuesday. New hydraulic cylinders are being ordered Monday.

I have obligated myself to finish as much as possible because the 47' is now registered to attend Allentown 2016. It might not be finished, but will be there under its own power.

• Like 5

Weatherstripping for under hood and bumpers arrived Wednesday. Hydraulic cylinders ordered this afternoon. Still wet sanding and buffing. Starting to look like something!

Hopefully will finish the front end and cowl section tomorrow so I can start installing the wiring harness.

Anyone have any "under the hood" pictures of the routing of wires on the 47' convertible?

Matt

I found that good light was essential to do proper buffing. I did a section that I thought looked right, then in strong sunlight it didn't look so great.

Nice to be ale to put more parts back on the body, it makes one feel as though it will be a complete car again soon.

Looking good, Matt!

Keith