1954 Buick Power Steering Column & Box

Fred Zwicker

Looking to buy a 1954 Buick Power Steering Column and the gear box. I have a 1954 Buick Special with non-power steering and want to convert it to power, as have shoulder trouble. I have a pump. I am located in the Youngstown, Ohio area midway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Pictures of what I am looking for attached. Leads appreciated.

post-48037-143138486368_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138486373_thumb.jpg

Guest 54fins

you should find a good one pretty easy. Good luck, it's an easy bolt in with the front clip off.

You will also need the double crank pully. pull the steering wheel, then unbolt the lower end and the whole assm comes out. There is a rubber pad on the firewall. Easy and straightforward, everything is just heavy

Guest MARTINOS1

i have the whole set up. steering box,wheel, and if needed i have the front suspension already hooked up to the gear box. i just took them out yesterday from a 57 roadmaster.

Thanks Martinos 1

I have a local source with the complete setup from a low-mileage 1955 Buick Roadmaster, but do not feel they are identical. (Steering column on the Roadmaster may be longer than on my Special). Also think that in 1957 a major change was made, although I am not sure. I will check my 1957 Buick Super to see if different. I appreciate your posting - Thank you very much.

Fred, hopefully Progoofoff has helped you with the gears and pump. Since you mentioned that this swap is for a Special, the really difficult part to find is going to be the double cast iron crankshaft pulley for the 264. Basically you're looking for another 54-55 Special with power steering. Any other models will have a 322 which have harmonic balancers instead of the cast iron pulley. About a year ago Wheatbelt had this pulley. But they didn't want to let it go without the complete set up which is understandable. I finally won one on eBay for an unbelievable price of $4.00. (I didn't omit any zero's there either)

here is an article on what you are doing in case you haven't seen it.

Swapping from Manual to Power Steering

With your bad shoulder I encourage you to have some help with this project. It does indeed help to have the front clip off but NOT necessary. If you by chance have the front seat out that would also be a help but again NOT necessary.

Holler if you need any further technical assistance. :)

Fred, we were typing at the same time. If you have a GOOD welding shop you can use that 55 Roadmaster unit. Read in the article I referred you to of how to have the shaft shortened.

Just curious, how much does that local yard want for the unit. Shipping can cost almost as much as the unit itself sometimes, so if you have one local consider that.

Mr. Earl,

Thanks for the help. I am leaving for work but found a complete good '54 Power Steering unit with pump, hoses, column in Pittsburgh (45 minutes from my home), but he does NOT have the dual pulley for front of my '54 Special Engine. I am willing to pay more than a reasonable price for such a pulley and just posted on the Buick Forum for this part.

I also found a '55 Roadmaster complete unit with mint steering wheel for $500 that could be installed, realizing the shaft could be shortened, but prefer to stay with the first choice at $350. The Roadmaster (4dr) is apart and engine has only 16-18 M miles! Engine and transmission are available, but don't know if they will fit without modifications, and I prefer to keep my car original and with the number-matching engine. My engine is out of the car.

Need a little help I guess,

Fred

If the $350/45 minutes away unit is out of a small body 54 I'd for sure go for it vs having the 55 Roadmaster one shortened . $250-350 is going price for a PS unit compete. Re the pulley, they are out there, just takes time and effort to locate them. Call Wheatbelt, if they still have the dual cast pulley, maybe you can make $$ talk. I'd never pay over 50-60 for one myself though.

If the guy wants 500 for the 55 steering unit I'd hate to hear what he wants for the 55 engine and running gear. That engine would be a straight swap into your 54 and you'd gain about 25 horsepower. I can never remember for sure but I think the large body trannies are an inch or so longer than the small bodies. Or maybe it is 56's that are longer. HELP ME HERE WILLIE!!! The 55 is definitely a better Dynaflow than the 54's. 55's have more or less a "passing gear" whereby the accelerator linkage controls the stators in the tranny, giving more "power" when putting the pedal to the floor.

Lots to consider. Keep us posted

Hello Mr. Earl and Norm,

Thanks for the advice. I just published a long post on the '54 Buick Forum, bringing things up to date - check it out. I also printed the published article on changing from manual to power steering and will do some studying.

This afternoon, I called Ken at Wheatbelt and we talked for quite some time. He promised to take a look to see if he could come up with the double crank pulley. If all else fails, I may be able to have one made out of aluminum by one of our machine shop vendors, but locating an original is still the best choice, regardless of the pricel

Please keep looking and if a dual groove cast iron pulley for the 264 V-8 shows up, let me know ($50 finder's fee leading to a purchase if found before I do).

Fred