Vacuum Tank Q's

MikeC5

Since this was already apart when I got it, I'd like to make sure I've got it right in my photo. As for the elbow in the photo, It was in baggie of parts for the tank but I can't figure out why it has the hole pointed out. You certainly wouldn't want to have a fuel or vacuum leak there. Any ideas?

post-74074-143138486326_thumb.jpg

The valve packing should be cork. Cut a new one out of a couple of thicknesses of cork composite gasket material using two wad punches - small one first so the cork is a tight fit on the valve stem and a larger one to complete the washer.

Guest Backyardmechanic
I also forgot to ask, the fuel shut off valve for the tank; I took it apart and there was some kind of packing in there. Is there a special type of packing to be used since fuel is involved?

We have repair lots of vacuumme tanks the shut off valve on the bottom of the tanks didn't have any packing the orginials valves has a tapper shaft with a hole in center and spring on the other side from the lever to keep tention on the shaft so when the valve is at close no gas can seep thew.

You must have a different type of valve.

Vern.

Yes - that is an original valve. Looks like someone has used some steam valve packing in it. The composite cork washers I suggested in an earier post should go above the brass washer and seat in the gland nut. To fit the cork, drive out the cross bar and lift off the gland nut.