Baby Bugatti Replica

Guest AdrianLuna350
Hello out there, so far there are over 4000 views on the Baby Bugatti and before someone notices that I spent some time trying to eliminate gear noise on straight cut gears.

A few months ago while lying in bed reflecting I realized thet the car has straight cut gears and eliminating gear noise isn't happening.

The car is ready for another season, I still haven't decided on what to do about the 24 volts feeding the ignition on light but that is something I have to do when the spirit moves me.

Jay

I just purchased a 1927 Baby Bugatti made by Authentic Models. It is brand new with tags, Bugatti emblem in plastic, etc. This thing has never seen the pavement. I'm extremely excited about it and now I'm in the same predicament that you once were in, I want to put a motor in it. My biggest struggle at this point is how to wire the accelerator. Do you have any pictures showing the detailed wiring to the pedal? Any supporting schematics or documentation would be greatly appreciated. I understand you bought the wiring upgrade from a third party company. Thank you very much for your time and I hope this messages reaches you at some point in the near future.

Adrian, I am curious as to how our cars compare in some of the build details. What is the serial number on your car, the number on our car is stamped on the frame and inside the body in the seat area. Do you know when they were built? The manufacturers name on the tires has been ground off of the tires.

Can you post some photos?

For those reading along I have been corresponding to Adrian about powering the car.

Jay

Guest AdrianLuna350

The stamp on mine reads BG3040042. I have no idea when these were built. All I have is the certificate of authenticity from Authentic Models. The certificate has their phone number on it so I'll try to call them tomorrow and see what kind of information I can get from them.

As far as the motor, I haven't had much luck in finding the original Scintilla Starter that was used in the '27 Baby Bugatti. I like the idea of using a 12v starter so I'm currently trying to find a newer starter that has the same dimensions as the original. From what I can tell, the motor you used is 4 1/4 wide according to MonsterScooterParts.com. I just want to make sure the gears line up when the motor is strapped to the cradle. Is your motor a 12v or 24v?

This may be of interest. A baby Bugatti just sold at auction.

A half scale 'Baby' Bugatti Type 52 replica child's car, by Crosthwaite & Gardiner,

hand-built aluminium construction and bodywork finished in blue, chromed radiator and enamel Bugatti badge, fitted with rear-mounted 12-Volt electric motor (requires battery), featuring forward and reverse drive, cast alloy wheels with pneumatic tyres, leather seat, removable bonnet secure with leather straps and spare wheel, stamped '526' behind the seat, measuring 195cm long overall.

Sold for £6,875 (US$ 10,491) inc. premium

Adrian, The motor I got from Old Foundry Toy Works is, I believe, the same as Monster Scooter Parts motor number MY1020 it is 4 1/4" Diameter and is 24 volts. As supplied from Monster Scooter Parts the motor will have a sprocket, Old Foundry sourced a gear from somewhere I don't know but what they did was to turn the motor shaft down to Approx. 1/4" and the shaft sheared in short order.

The 4 1/4" diameter motor put the drive gear in fairly good mesh with the driven gear but I did use some shim stock between the motor and mount until I was happy with it. You can't get rid of the gear whine as they are straight cut gears.

The gear that was installed on the motor had metric dimensions which might narrow your search for a gear. I think there are normally only two different pitches for gears that are in inch measurements so metric gears may also only have a few different pitches. I don't recall the exact measurements of the drive gear but am fairly sure it has 12 teeth.

If my weld job on the original motor didn't work I was going to get another motor and a sprocket from Monster Scooter Parts and try to fit a sprocket inside the original drive case and use chain drive.

Jay

alsancle I did a search for Crosthwaite & Gardiner, Wow what a facility, I want to work there. I don't have the time now but I'll have to check out their site closer this evening.

If i would win the powerball lottery do you think they would build me a front drive Miller?

Jay

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you Marrs for the information. I was checking on availability Of "#127 Octane" and will probably eventually find it on Amazon books or similar website. I did find it available from a site that may be from Malaysia "mybooks.my" and I think the price was reasonable, I had to convert RM 25.7 to US dollars which is about $8.00 US which is OK with me but they did not accept or recognize my shipping address.

I'll find it eventually and again thank you for the info.

Jay

• 11 months later...

post-39071-143142931819_thumb.jpg

Where the Bugatti is wintering, it turned out OK, the Grandsons have no idea what it is worth and don't care. There is a transition in pavement levels where they usually ride it and they get a little "air".

I had to move things around to make room for the "Commander", I always wanted a Studebaker, a 57 Commander wasn't on the top of the list but I like it.

Happy and Healthy New Year to All,

post-39071-143142931803_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142931811_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hello here's a Bugatti update, the original front leaf springs gave up at the end of last year,  from the beginning their quality was suspect, late this summer I ordered low-grade spring steel from McMaster Carr and made some new springs.  They aren't chrome plated as original but they have a nice blue tint, and they work, the old springs would sag after a little while so's the frame would be setting on the axle.  They would get rearched by picking the car up and pushing the axle down, .

The throttle pedal is moved all the way forward and our 8 year old is a little tight, inorder for him to drive it next year the  throttle pedal  would need to be moved up beside the steering linkage, instead we are going to put an older 1/4 midget together for him and the Bugatti can be for the younger youngins.

I recently saw a few "operating Bugatti replicas" for sale that closely resemble our car.  The prices were quite impressive.

Jay

• 1 year later...
Guest Surreyman

Hi, I have been reading your updates on your baby bugatti . I was thinking of buying an authentic models bugatti and converting it for use for my 4 year old son . However , if you would ever consider selling yours I would be very interested . Or if anyone else knows of an authentic models bugatti that's for sale , I would be interested . Davidgasken@btinternet.com

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,  I stumbled upon the chain as I am in the process of buying a replica. I saw earlier that someone had a Bebe with the same serial stamp inside. BG and a serial number. I was just curious if anyone knows anything about who manufactured them? Any info you have related to this replica would be fantastic. 

• 4 years later...