VIKING STATUE-INFORMATION

Guest Jim Morningstar

Guest Jim Morningstar

I recently purchased a statue of a viking mounted on a horse that is rearing up. It is made of spelter metal with a very nice bronze-like finish. It is slightly more than 24" high with an oval base with the words "THE VIKING" on the base.

I was told that this unique piece was given by GM to Oldsmobile dealers taking on the Viking distributorship.

Does anyone have any additonal information or ducumentation? The base has a paper tag indicating that it was given by an individual to his friend(possibly the dealer) in September of 1929.

Your repies are apprecated.

Jim Morningstar

• 1 year later...
Guest Dyallup

I have a Viking statue that meets your description. My uncle was superintendent of experimental at olds, Lansing. He obtained this statue from the company. He said their were 2 made to commemorate the Viking car. A sculptor from Detroit was commissioned for the project. As far as I know their only 2 in existence, mine and the one is at the Oldsmobile museum in Lansing. You can see it by going to their website and viewing the vicking auto. The statue sits on the floor in front of the car behind the bumper. If you have that would make 3. If they were also given to each dealer there weren't many set up. Because it is so unusual and scarce I wonder what a serious collector would pay for one?

• 2 years later...
Guest sharisingh

Well I think I have Viking statue #4 (I originally heard there were 4). This came to me via an uncle-in-law who was an accountant at Olds. I would be very interested in knowing what I've got here!

The Oldsmobile Museum website does not allow you to view the Viking at this time, they must make some cars available for web viewing at different times.

Could someone post a picture of this statue, would like to see it?! thanks

David, the OP had a picture but looks like it's gotten lost over the last four years. I remember it was a handsome piece.

I figured Steve M would have some insight since he is familiar with the older Oldsmobiles and the companion Viking.

It's kinda like that "Oldsmobile Legion of Honour" badge I have. No one's sure exactly what it is unless it's a pre-war sales award.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sharisingh
The Oldsmobile Museum website does not allow you to view the Viking at this time, they must make some cars available for web viewing at different times.

Could someone post a picture of this statue, would like to see it?! thanks

post-83374-143142963705_thumb.jpgHere you go everybody. Notes indicate is is 18" wide, 24" high, and that only 4 were made.

• 2 years later...

Hello All. 

Good info on this forum. 

I just posted the photos of my Viking Statue. 

I have the Viking Statue that was shown in the R.E. Olds Museum in Lansing, Michigan. 

I have been approached by a Viking collector that would like to acquire my statue. 

I have no idea of value, but probably only a valuable item to a olds Viking collector. 

• 2 weeks later...

HI Viking David , and welcome to AACA forums ! If you click on that "J" under Jim's name above , you will see that his last activity on the forums was almost 5 years ago. You will also see that he is/would be 75 years old. The good news is that Jim currently appears to be active in Cadillac & LaSalle Club. If you are a member , you will find him in the CLC directory in Michigan. If not , I would be more than happy to contact him for you. I enjoy having an excuse to cold call my fellow members and yap Cadillac with them. Or you might still be able to connect with him by P.M. through AACA.  Let me know if I can be of any help.   - Carl 

C Carl,

thank you for your suggestion. 

I am not a usual visitor to antique auto forums. 

If you think you can reach out to Jim, that’s great.  I have been fishing around in various place since for more info/history on the statue. 

The collector that is interested in my statue owns theee Viking automobiles. 

This statue would be a nice touch to his collection. 

Regards,

david

Hi Carl,

1E42FC4A-7D5D-4E24-982B-85E7FB122D85.thumb.jpeg.2e61254c79f73de6c6cdc3eea007ee08.jpeg1E42FC4A-7D5D-4E24-982B-85E7FB122D85.thumb.jpeg.2e61254c79f73de6c6cdc3eea007ee08.jpeg3EB74053-7FA8-440F-8EA9-FAD5B20C7C59.thumb.png.53cafdeede9a5a2a407c2f0aef553a24.pngI have discovered something on the Viking Statue that gives confirmation that this was created to commemorate the Viking auto....
See attached photo of the emblem on the saddle straps on the horse.  There are three of those on the statue and they seemed like such a specific design, that I looked up the Viking emblem and they matched!

Best Regards,
David Wilcox

• 2 years later...

And here I come at the tail end of this topic.....I have one of these statues in my possession.  It is exactly as pictured.  Should I start a new topic?  I'm wondering what the value of this piece might be. Any help is appreciated.  Stay safe and stay healthy

R

Hi Renee,

Thanks for the note and your interest.  Here is your mission.... get on the Antiques Road Show and find out for all of us ! ;-)

My Viking Statue was acquired by my father who passed it to me.   It sat in the Oldsmobile Museum in Lansing, Michigan...on loan for many years.

I eventually connected with a Viking Automobile owner in Arizona, who has three amazing Vikings.  It was the cherry on top of his collection.

We worked a deal that was fair considering it was near impossible to find any value references.  I tried a lot of angles to no avail. I even tried the Doumochelle gallery.   I have some knowledge of the history of the statue and the vehicle, shown in the threads of this + some additional documentation, but I could never get to the statue's value.

David Wilcox

"viking David"

Thank you so much for your response, David :-)

I may take you up on your challenge!  I am going to contact them and see what they say. Would it be asking too much to have you share what you got for it? If you prefer to do it privately, My email is reneezimmermann@gmail.com

It's impressive to me that it seems all four of these horse statues are still around. 

Renee'

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...