1960 Buick Invicta all original

Guest Ray Johnson

Guest Ray Johnson

1960 buick invicta one of 1104 surviving buicks. runs good, drove it around last summer. will need a new muffler

model 4639 4 door hardtop was the single most popular Invicta model with 15,300 built in US and additional 600 was built in Canada. this car's number is 3959th built

the trim tag shows it was built the second week of May 1960

automatic, power steering,power seat,power brakes, air conditioning,

dual rear mirrors on fenders, rear seat speaker, radio, clock

post-74266-14313848135_thumb.jpg

post-74266-143138481359_thumb.jpg

post-74266-143138481401_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray Johnson
wrong year (see edit history)

Guest Tri-shield

Hi Pete, I think Mr. Johnson meant he has one of 1104 1960 Invicta 4 door hardtops still on the road. I have an original '60 Invicta 4639 also, and a couple of LeSabre 4411s as you recall; Mr. M. Lehrman has the substantial balance of surviving 1960 Buick production.

Guest 70 Electra

Actually, Ray is referring to the statement I made to him: His 1960 Buick is one of over 1,000 surviving 1960 Buicks that I have accounted for in my 1960 Buick Registry. This includes all body styles and models. Ray's car is #1104 in my database. That's where the number came from.

The "3959" number is the body number for this car (FB3959). It is a Flint-assembled car, with a body built at the Flint Fisher Plant #1 on Saginaw St. Therefore, this was the 3,959th Invicta 4dr hardtop (model 4639) body built at this particular Fisher Body plant. Note that this does NOT mean the car is #3959 of the 15,300 total production volume. That's because this model (4639) was built in multiple plants, and each one had their own body numbers.

All that said, this looks to be a complete, unmolested car that could easily become a low-buck "driver" or an excellent parts source. I hope someone is able to purchase it from Ray.

Guest Ray Johnson

thanks Greg. as I said before you really know your Buicks.

I really dont know what to ask for it. If someone has any input anything would be appreciated.

Ray

Guest Ray Johnson

I dont have a lot of time so I'm probably just going to part it out, if anybody needs any parts let me know

OK Ray: I'm confused. Parting out a car takes 10X more time and energy than selling it. Could you quote us an asking price and give us the car's location. Running last summer? How about now and how well does it run? Could you post an interior picture?

If the stars align correctly I might make a play for it! Mitch

Guest djohn81641

Ray: If you are still going to part it out. I want the water pump and the headlight switch. How much for those parts?

Guest Ray Johnson

the video is of the radio still playing and sounding really good and of the rear seat speaker working. Plus the back seat in good shape.

]front seat with the original seat cover, (plastic) the seat in front is torn on the driver side at the seam, and the carpet on the driver side is in rough shape but the rest of the carpet is good front and back, the headliner is in good shape. there is a little discoloration on the right front fender, not sure what from.

One thing about this car is its instrument panel. The speedometer and gauges are embedded upside down and backwards and are reflected in a mirror that can be tilted so that no matter how short or tall the driver is, The thing I like best is that the ignition key doesn't start the car -- you have to turn the key and then press the gas pedal to the floor to engage the starter switch.

Edited by Ray Johnson
added statement (see edit history)

OK Ray: $2500 is too rich for me. My suggestion for selling this car is to clean it up, vacuum it, clean the glass, coat of wax, etc, get it running and put it on the local Craig's List with some nice pictures. I'd ask under 2K and if it's running OK it should go pretty quick. Parting this car out in my judgment isn't necessary. Good luck, Mitch

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ray Johnson

Hi all

I have decided to keep her and get her back in shape. she runs and looks better inside than most that have been sitting around as much as she has, not sure how to start but it will be fun....I hope

Congrats Ray. It doesn't look like it should be an overly difficult task, although I suspect you may want to look for a replacement hood. Wheatbelt Buick in Carrier, OK is a Buick-only wrecker and would be a good place to start looking for parts.

Guest 70 Electra
Greg, is there a way to find out about how many 4639s there are left out there or is that unknowable?

No way that I know of. There are companies that sell data on how many of a certain car are still registered, but that is meaningless since so many surviving cars are unregistered.

Also, remember the 1960 Buick VIN only identifies the "series" (LeSabre, Invicta, etc)---not the model/body style. Thus, any statistics based on registrations could not break it down to the detail you are asking (i.e. model 4639).

Guest redcrow
No way that I know of. There are companies that sell data on how many of a certain car are still registered, but that is meaningless since so many surviving cars are unregistered.

Also, remember the 1960 Buick VIN only identifies the "series" (LeSabre, Invicta, etc)---not the model/body style. Thus, any statistics based on registrations could not break it down to the detail you are asking (i.e. model 4639).

Thats kind of what I thought. However many there are left I guess doesn't really matter. These seem to be getting rarer and rarer and that's what I love about the 60 Buicks, they're so original and not everyone has one.