1948 Continental Vin Numbers

MarkV

Serial numbers ran from 1936," H1" to 1948, "8H182,129". The 1948 model serial numbers ran from 8H 174,290 to 8H 182,129.

Supposedly, production stopped the end of January,1948 so '48 models were produced after Nov. 1 1947 until the end of January, 1948. However, I read somewhere that a few Continentals were assembled after Jan 31, 1948?

Edited by peecher
grammar (see edit history)

The LCOC directory used to list VIN numbers in numeric sequence. Sometime between 1998 and 2007, they discintinued this practice. For some unknown reason, they now list VINs in random order.

The first 1948 Continental Coupe listed in my 1996-98 LCOC directory is 8H174577. The last is 8H182128.

This would place your 1948 Continental Coupe as a relatively early 1948 car.

Edited by Phil Knapp (see edit history)

Per the copy of the build card from the Benson Research Center in Dearborn, Mi., my 1948 LC was assembled 03/12/1948. The vin is 8H181292. Were these cars all assembled at one plant? Were the numbers in simple succession or did some of the numbers have a special meaning? Curious ?? Glenn Lorei b6vt

• 4 years later...
Guest 39 Pickup

All Lincolns were built in the Detriot plant. They were built in serial number secession for the Zephyrs, however the Continentals were basically Zephyr chassis and the Zephyr chassis were pulled off the line at random and put on the Continental body line. I don't know how long it took to build and mount a Continental body, but if it was more time, the numbers at the end of the line would be out of kilter with the Zephyr numbers. I have a 1946 Continental Coupe that has a build date of Jan 15, 1947. I would think that that would be a 1947 model as it wouldn't reach the dealer until later in January 1947. The serial number is H 1xxxxx rather than 7H 1xxxxx which would indicate a 1947 model.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello guys, I own a 1946 LC coupe VIN H145761, looks to be an early car, right? Have a question, do any of you out there know where to find out the former owners of my car was. Would be vey nice to know.

Thanks for an interesting forum.

Michael, from Sweden.

Guest 39 Pickup

Unless your car was owned by someone of note and there were pictures of the car and the person together or a paper trail, it would be nearly impossible today to trace the past ownership of an automobile. Todays privacy laws prevent such investigations of previous owners. It would be interesting to know who owned our Lincolns when they were new, but lets face it, most of our cars were owned new by some one of common background with a few dollars more than the average person.

Unless your car was owned by someone of note and there were pictures of the car and the person together or a paper trail, it would be nearly impossible today to trace the past ownership of an automobile. Todays privacy laws prevent such investigations of previous owners. It would be interesting to know who owned our Lincolns when they were new, but lets face it, most of our cars were owned new by some one of common background with a few dollars more than the average person.

Hi 39 Pickup,

you are quite right. I should have thought of that.

Thanks

Michael

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest PeterSouthAfrica

Hi. I see this is an old post but let me try and see if someone could help. I have a 1946 yellow LC BUT HERE IS THE CATCH....it's a right hand drive. I have been having all my days trying to find the chasis number. Further more it has a V8 which is not standard but the Engine number is Lcl 350 29857.

I managed to determine that the cowl mounted battery box was not standard and took it off, to see the patent pending tag in tact and readable. (I add photos to show more about what I speak about). The engine looking from the front has a pattent pending plate in the middle on the cowling/firewall where the battery box is but on non of the models I could find I could see the break assembly that is on the left. Could this have been assembled of the serial number? is the serial number suppose to be to the left infront of the right hand side driver steering coloumn looking from the inside. Please could someone also give me an idea if the chassis number occurs somewhere else on the chasis and where? Any help guys would be great.

20170123_141258.jpg

20170123_141401.jpg

20170123_141432_001.jpg

20170123_141440.jpg

20170123_141446.jpg

20170123_141500.jpg