More Trouble in CT

State Rep. Sharkey (D, district is Hamden, CT) testified in regards to HB 5580 last week and is also proposing a sweeping change to the way CT property tax on motor vehicles is structured. that change includes the way antique cars are taxed as a major part of his proposal.

Currently CT state law limits tax assessment on antiques to $500, towns then tax accordingly based on their own mill rates. Sharkey is proposing a state set mill rate (part of a larger philosophy of regionalization and shifting power from municipalities to the state) on motor vehicles - this would of course impact some municipalities in a negative way if that rate is lower than what they currently tax at.

The proposal includes a "phase in period" where the state would subsidize towns (cities most likely) where this would negatively impact their tax base. The subsidy comes from.....taxes on antique cars! This is how Rep. Sharkey expects to fund the shortfall for this massive shift in taxation. He testified last Wed, 3-2, essentially this is a large untapped revenue source in his eyes. Part of his logic is that some years ago CT removed usage lmitations on antiques - not something our organization looked for.

4Cs (CT Council of Car Clubs) is looking to meet with him as well as other members of the legislature to make the arguments of limited use, etc. but if you live in CT and are not wanting to lose your tax exemption you should contact your state rep. and/or state senator on this asap. A couple brief talking points:

Antique owners are mainly middle income hobbyists and these vehicles see little road usage. This would be an especially difficult and unplanned burden on seniors on fixed incomes who make up a good portion of the hobby. Many of them could be forced out of the hobby with these significant new expenses.

Assessment on these vehicles will be difficult to do fairly and will place a burden on local tax assesor's offices. (Or worse, a standard will be imposed from some type of book value and the owner will have the burden of proving otherwise.)

CT benefits by these historic vehicles through participation in parades and shows nearly every weekend in the summer that raise untold thousands of dollars for charity.

Other limited use vehicles such as bycicles or mopeds use local and state roads and are not taxed.

It is unfair to place the revenue burden of such a large scale change on one relatively small group with no phase in period for them.

CT taxpayers are being asked to do more by way of proposed increases in the state income and sales taxes, this is a "back door" tax that unfairly looks to plug a whole on the backs of a small group under the assumption that they can afford it.

Finally, as frustrating as this is, be respectful and polite, but do not be afraid to indicate that as a voter this is a big enough issue to infulence your choices in the future.

We hope a compromise can be made, perhaps agreeing to up the current assessment limit in the state statute from $500 to 1,000 is a fair compromise; but I think fighting this is key as he seems to be pinning a lot of revenue on this small group. Personally if a return to limited use rules helps squash this I would be fine with that as well.

More to come but if you do nothing, rest assured this will happen this session and pass into law. :(

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
clarity and more detail. (see edit history)

Bob, I tried to keep the post about the impact to the hobby only, but I totally agree with you. CT is quickly becoming a great state to be from, and we are running out of time to stop that. It is not one thing but all the little steps, three here that impact our hobby - that will make us wake up one day and wonder what the heck happened...

Thanks for looking folks.

A friend of mine told me that a number of years ago (15?) CT had some kind of high tax on antique cars and everyone went up to Maine & licenced them up there instead in order to avoid the tax. You would go to a car show in CT and 1/2 the cars had Maine license plates. I realize this isn't completely legal, but, you have to do what you have to do.

This is one we need to keep a close eye on. Make sure SEMA knows about it.

CT guys- play your trump if needed. Make sure Mr Sharkey understands in no uncertain terms that if he successfully passes this increase you will work to unseat him, and if it is unsuccessful and he tries it again later, you will still work to unseat him.