Oil pressure reading DB 116

Guest 18DodgeBrothers

Our 1918 registers around 3 lbs when first started, but drops to 1 1/2 to 2 lbs after running on the road for a few miles.

Here is a quote from the mechanics instruction manual:

"With new oil of medium grade the gauge should show a pressure of approximately one and one half pounds with the engine running at a speed equivalent to about 20 mph."

"The oil pressure should raise with the speed of the engine."

"If gauge shows excessive pressure, it indicates that either the gauge is defective, the oil is too heavy, the engine oil feed pipe holes plugged, or too much tension on the ball check spring."

"After car No. A875-380 (1927) the oil pressure shown on the gauge is controlled by pump capacity and the area of holes in the oil feed lines and may not show any pressure at low engine speeds. No pressure adjustment can be made on these cars. When the pump is working properly the gauge will show pressure at 20 mph and will increase with the speed of the engine. This will fluctuate according to the density of the oil."

On cars before 1927 the oil pressure can be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the spring tension on the check ball in the oil check valve at right side of engine.

Hope this helps,

Les

So my 1919 idles around 3.25 lbs and goes to 4/4+ lbs when the engine is rev-ed. It has been this way for years. When I removed the pan, oil did come out of the pressure gauge tube.

The spring tension I do not know how to check.

What is the 'oil feed pipe' - is this the pipe from the pan to the gauge or some other pipe I should be concerned?

Guest Backyardmechanic

There's a tube going thew the block over the cam with small holes line up with the main bearing junorals.The check ball houseing is connect to this tube.

Vern

Guest 18DodgeBrothers

To check the spring tension, the spring is in the check valve. Loosen the cap (nut) at top of check valve. Spring is underneath, on top of the check ball. I believe the spring on our car is adjusted so that when the cap is put on, the spring is slightly depressed. This gives the readings I mentioned in earlier post.

What say, Vern?

Les

Guest Backyardmechanic

Yes les this is the way we adjust them when we rebuilt the engine.By the way oil will flow thew the block even without the check ball and spring.

Vern