1931 Chevrolet Cabriolet Paint Code

Guest yyy1244

Guest yyy1244

Need help in determining the original paint code for my 1931 Chevrolet Cabriolet. My dad purchased and restored the car 45-years ago and I'm sure not to the original color combination. I don't know if the paint code is located on the car or if it is available from Chevrolet???

Thanks

Guest yyy1244

Thanks - I have the list of optional paint combinations (codes) which were available on the '31 Chevys, I just need to figure out the correct paint codes for my car when it came from the factory.

The Auto Color Library will usually provide color chips to purchase a specific color by the color name, but for 1928 - 34 it only provides a text document with Chevrolet color codes and all the colors by name of the upper body, lower body, pinstriping and wheels used for each code.

No color chips are provided until 1935 for chevrolet. The site provides generic color chips for pre mid 1930 colors which are none auto manufacture specific, so I am not sure where to go to get a good match to a color with no chip for the 1931 Chevrolet.

Once you have the color names, the 1931 Chevrolet VCCA Technical Advisor may be able to help with modern codes to match the color names you may want. The VCCA also has an advisor specifically for "1925 - 1975 Paint" and he could be a good source for modern codes also.

Visit my website at: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze114b79/

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Edited by Vila
Correct (see edit history)

Hi- in answer to what I believe is your question, no, there is no code on a 1931 Chevrolet that shows what color combination was on it when it left the factory. Later cars, particularly after WWII (poost 1947) often had ID tags that showed all the information of how a specific car was painted and trimmed, but not so for the early cars.

Unless there's some original paint left on the car to match, you'd just have to look at the colors which were available and choose for a repaint.

Two more good websites below.

Trimacar could be correct in that the color combination code was not on a plate on 1931 Chevrolet, but they did have standard numbered color combinations as indicated on the color library and another website listed below.

One issue, the following website shows a sample of an original 1931 Chevrolet Cowl Tag:

http://1931chevrolet.com/images/tags/cowl.jpg

The info on the tag includes:

Job Number: 31= Year, 571 = Body Style

Body No = 1749

Trim No. 15

Paint No 82

That tag is very similar to the one on the firewall of my 1933 chevrolet. My 1933 has the combination 132 stamped in the plate for an all black car with black or red wire wheels.

Like I said, I am not a 1931 expert and am only going by what I have seen. If you don't have the tag and know some of the original colors on the car you may be able to figure out the original combination code and the following website has a lot of detailed info including specific colors of all items on the car along with modern paint codes that are a good match to orignal chevrolet colors.

1931 Chevrolet Paint & Colors

Vila

Guest yyy1244

Thanks - I was hoping to be able to determine the original paint combination but it looks doubtful as the car was professionally painted and there are no signed of the original colors. I was hoping there was either a code someplace on the vehicle or that Chevrolet might be a resource but it sounds like I'm going to have to choose from the list of original colors and forget about getting it back to original as it came from the factory. Thanks for the help.

I'm not the expert either, I'm just going by my 1931 Chevy, which I've owned since 1964, and it has no evidence of any such tag. Wish it did, I don't even remember seeing holes where one would have been, will check again.

I do have an original paint chip card showing the wheel colors for that year, there were 6 or 7 different wheel colors available.

• 1 month later...
Guest brandolph53@yahoo.com

Hi.....I am new to the club and restoring a 1931 Chev Cabriolet. My cowl tag has 8 as the trim code. The paint code is 80 although it was painted fawn brown with coffee cream and orange wheels. The top is tan. My problem is figuring out what colors should I use to repaint the car. Black does not go with the top and I haven't been able to find out what 8 means for the trim. I used dupont paint to match the fawn brown and coffee cream but when I put these colors up to the car they don't look the same. I would appreciate information you could provide.

Brandolph 53, are you a member of the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America (VCCA)?

I would contact the VCCA 1931 Chevrolet Technical Advisor and he could answer all your questions at the level of detail I believe you may be looking for.

I'm not sure who the 1931 advisor is, but his name and email address should be published in the front of the VCCA monthly magazine Generator and Distributor.

I have asked the 1933 advisor several questions over the years and he was very helpful.

I'm on lunch break at work and don't have a copy available at the moment.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi