Replacing Rubber

bepnewt

My '64 is going to be going in for paint relatively soon. Some of the rubber seals / weatherstripping on it are good, others are shot to New Jersey and back. So, I figured this is a good time to get replacements.

I've read a bunch on the forums here and I've looked at the websites for Steele, Bethel's, "Rubber the Right Way", OldBuickParts (CARS), etc. I have a few questions about the non-standard rubber that doesn't come in the typical kits:

1) I can't find a new Antenna Grommet anywhere. It sure looks like there's an old one under the rectangular bezel and I'd like to replace it.

2) I can't find a trunk lock gasket. Will the door lock gaskets work for the trunk lock for a '64? ( I think I just found something that points to this being a "Yes" - please confirm, though )

I've found:

- Standard weatherstripping kits ( Door, roof rail, quarter window, trunk, window felt )

- Rearview mirror gasket

- Door handle gaskets

- Door lock gaskets

3) The gaskets / grommets around the tail lights seem to be expensive as ----. Or, I'm looking at the wrong thing. Here's an example:

"Gasket, tail lamp housing. Molded replacement of #5953882."

https://secure.steelerubber.com/cgi-bin/vin.cgi?vin=1964BU4747#15

$30 each for a light grommet? Is this the right item - I'm attaching a pic, I'm looking for the black stuff that is peeking out from behind the light in the pic.

47325fb#17

More questions:

4) What have I missed as far as rubber, seals, etc. that should be replaced during a repaint?

I see something called a "Seal, door bottom drain hole." Should I get 2? I'm not even sure what it is; I assume it's on the bottom of the door and lets water out that gets into the door.

https://secure.steelerubber.com/cgi-bin/vin.cgi?vin=1964BU4747#70

What about the rubber sleeve thing that goes between the door and the frame that the wires run through for the electric windows, etc.? Should I replace those? I haven't found them on the parts sites, yet.

5) What car-specific information should I provide to the person doing the repaint that will help them not break stuff during disassembly and reassembly?

Thanks!

-BEPNewt

Guest rls65rls

hi, first if your looking for rubber,contact clarks corvair 413-625-9776 they have nice rubber products. as for your antenna base gasket cars inc. has them, part no. ag-635 for $7.50 trunk lock gasket part no. tlg-65 for $3.50 also cars inc. has the 64 tail lamp bezel gasket part no. tbg-634 for $13.75pr. and the taillite lamp lens gasket part no. tlg-634R for $12.50pr. if your looking for antenna cable gasket or lead firewall grommet OPG has both. door drain seals as you stated do go on the bottom of the door for water drainage, clarks & OPG has them. the door rubber boots are for the wiring to pass thru, they do'nt make a reproduction for a 63 - 65 that I believe. you'll probably have to find one from a parts car, good luck, most of them are cracked or brittle. SO GOOD LUCK! rls65rls

• 2 weeks later...

rls65rls,

I neglected to thank you for your help on this, sorry about that.

I'm ordering the rubber and your information is very helpful. I still can't find the antenna base gasket you said was on the Cars Inc. site. I've searched by name, by the ag635 number, and looked at every antenna product they sell but still didn't see it.

Would you please provide a link to the part?

Also, for the tail lamp bezel gasket, I found this based off of the part number you provided:

Old Buick Parts - CARS. Inc.

But it's $15.00 not the $13.75 you mentioned. It's also part number TBG634-4, which is slightly different than what you said. Am I looking at the correct item? It also doesn't mention if it's for one or for a pair.

Thanks!

-BEPNewt

ps. The rubber boots on mine are in good shape, so I'll leave them alone. When they repainted the car, they got some white overspray on them. If they were easy to find and cheap to replace, I would do it.

Guest rls65rls

hi again, refering to your questions on the tail lamp bezel gaskets. I'm looking at the gaskets in the catalog pg.24, pn TBG-634 $13.75 for the pair, but they could have had a price increase since I got my catalog. as for the antenna base gasket its on page 47 pn AG-635 $7.50ea. my part no. are from the catolog. are you looking on their web site? I got my antenna gasket thru them. Id maybe recomend giving them a call, 908-369-3666 and give them the part no. from the catolog. good luck randy