Continental Engine oil sending unit

checker

I have a 1958 L-head 226 CID inline 6 Continental Engine. My oil pressure gauge doesn't work and never has. I've verified the sending unit and gauge work fine which led me to look at the port on the block. I built the motor 5 years ago and at that time stuck the sender where it seemed logical. Perhaps not. I have found three 1/8" pipe thread size oil ports on the block but a pressure check with a mechanical gauge, with the engine running, shows nothing. I know I have oil pressure since the car has been driven often.

The locations for the three ports I've tried are:

1: just front of the fuel pump

2: rear passenger side about an inch in front of bell housing

3: Drivers side, right below starter.

Could someone with an F226 L-head tell me where your oil sending unit is located?

Thanks

Guest noncompos

You'll probably do better with this question on the Comm'l forum as your 226 was mostly Comm'l/Ind'l/Ag as the F6226 (truck), the F226 (Ind'l/Ag) and probably PF226 (free-standing power units)...one version has timing gears, the other timing chain, but I can't keep straight which is which, altho oil guage hookup should be the same...

• 2 months later...

The oil pressure pickup is passenger side of the engine, very low down, at the back almost to the firewall. Your #2 sounds about right. Should get 40-45 psi max and 10-20 psi at idle.

• 4 months later...
Guest PackardV8

I have a Cont Z120 4 cylinder in a 1951 Ferguson TO20 tractor. The distributor has a plug in the side for an oil reservoir inside of the distributor. The tractor is in weekly operation all year round so i really do not want to remove distributor at this time.

My question is: Can i just remove the plug and fill and/or check oil level in distributor reservoir or will oil pour out when i remove the plug???? Or do i need to remove the distributor to fille the reservoir???? I have a Ferguson service manual (factory reprint) but it does not indicate whether to remove distributor or not. I'd really rather not remove distributor.

Guest noncompos

The Cont'l Z's were not widely used, and I'm not familiar with a dist with an oil reservoir. If nothing turns up here try the Ferguson forum on ytmag, a farm/ag eqpmt site. Good luck.