Camaros With 230s

jeff_a

I was reading recently that the standard engine on a '68 Camaro was a 230 six. I have to admit that I've never seen a Camaro with a 230.

With the great selection of V-8's you could get back then, I'm sure they were a little rare when new. Does anyone here on the Chevrolet Forum ever run across them?

Thanks!

Guest 1hooligan

hi I have a bone stock, 1968 with a 230 six, and auto transmission. Runs great at 70-75 and great gas milage about 20-22 Not sure how many they made, but love my survivor. not a ss or rs, just plain jane, only options were auto trans and radio. Cute little bench seat, and six sets of safety belts.

Probably find some in Canada. The small engines were popular here due to the high cost of gas and the high cost of cars. Straight six Mustangs and Camaros were popular with ordinary motorists who wanted a stylish coupe that was easy on gas. You used to see them but most have been changed to V8s and hot rodded since those days.

A real cool car was the early Firebird with OHC six. A friend of mine had one new with 4 speed. It was as fast as most small block (stock) V8 cars.

I saw a 67 at a car show one time that someone had really done a great job on restoring / detailing the original 230. Every thing under the hood was stock and as new.

It got a lot of attention.

Your right. Most of the 230 motors were pulled out and 327-350s were installed.

Bill H

1hooligan,

That's great to hear there are a few still out there and that you have one too. I saw an ad in the Dec HMN where someone has one for sale for $3,500...and it caused me to think, "Gee, from looking at the ads, you'd think most early Camaros came with 396s, so this 230-six really stands out".

nearchocolatetown,

Thanks for the production data. That's a thousand cars for each state for this base model!

In 1968 I took my driver's education courses at Kimball High School in Royal Oak, Michigan. We had various cars to choose from. I was lucky enough to score a 1967 Camaro convertible with a 6 cylinder each time I had the class. It was light blue with a dark blue cloth top and interior. It held it's own in traffic.