1931 Chrysler Imperial roadster

I agree with this.

If it has any original body parts, they've been modified to the extent that the value is gone. The evidence of this has been pointed out in many posts on this thread.

It would make an semi-interesting hot rod, and that's about it.

Guest SuperNovaSS

Thanks again for all the input.

Here are some more pictures of under the dash area.

31Imperial057Small.jpg

31Imperial058Small.jpg

31Imperial060Small.jpg

31Imperial062Small.jpg

31Imperial064Small.jpg

31Imperial065Small.jpg

Also, here is a picture of the area behind the front seat and in front of the rumble seat.

31Imperial043Small.jpg

Thanks,

Jason

Here are a couple of photos of the underside of one of my 1931 Dodge cowls. The car in question does have the correct vent detail/configuration (before being filled in), but that's about the only thing to tell that PART of the body is original. The side cowl vents on the car in question are not original.

post-37352-143138517267_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138517276_thumb.jpg

Guest SuperNovaSS

Thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures. The owner of the car is going to try to get some internal door photos today but only has a camera phone. Hopefully the detail will be clear enough.

Jason

Sorry dude, I'm in total agreement with the overall opinion on this car. As far as "proof" that it isn't, well that's backwards. I know it was said above but "proof that it is" is more logical than any other idea. Never ever have I seen vintage body wood held in place with urethane or silicone. Even if it was redone, hack quality at best. Also notice the overlapped steel in the cowl. Looking at the original cowl from keiser31, you can clearly see the OEM weld process. Some were a resistance type of weld in a fixture, some were done by artisans with an oxy/'cety torch then metal finished. As far as that door gig to the rumble seat, never done on any Chrysler Imperial roadster that I've ever seen. I don't mean to sound hateful or overly superior here, it's just not anywhere near what was done on cars of that caliber, frankly by ANY builder let alone LeBaron.

If I were asked to speculate how this car came to pass, I'd guess that a Plymouth or smaller Chrysler cowl was used as inspiration many decades ago. The rest rolled on in less than OEM standards and perhaps back in it's day it had a small degree of eye appeal based on size alone. For what it's worth, I've worked on 3 Imperials over the years. All 31s, a Waterhouse Conv Victoria, a Lebaron spt phaeton, and a LeBaron roadster. Nothing on this car shown has the proportions or fit that any of those had. I also spend my days restoring classic era Packards and other makes. I've done this gig since the early 70s in my teens. Good luck to the owner on the sale. He has an anomoly from back in the "replicar" days. And again, don't take my response as hateful, as you said above, it is what it is.

Sorry dude, I'm in total agreement with the overall opinion on this car. As far as "proof" that it isn't, well that's backwards. I know it was said above but "proof that it is" is more logical than any other idea. Never ever have I seen vintage body wood held in place with urethane or silicone. Even if it was redone, hack quality at best. Also notice the overlapped steel in the cowl. Looking at the original cowl from keiser31, you can clearly see the OEM weld process. Some were a resistance type of weld in a fixture, some were done by artisans with an oxy/'cety torch then metal finished. As far as that door gig to the rumble seat, never done on any Chrysler Imperial roadster that I've ever seen. I don't mean to sound hateful or overly superior here, it's just not anywhere near what was done on cars of that caliber, frankly by ANY builder let alone LeBaron.

If I were asked to speculate how this car came to pass, I'd guess that a Plymouth or smaller Chrysler cowl was used as inspiration many decades ago. The rest rolled on in less than OEM standards and perhaps back in it's day it had a small degree of eye appeal based on size alone. For what it's worth, I've worked on 3 Imperials over the years. All 31s, a Waterhouse Conv Victoria, a Lebaron spt phaeton, and a LeBaron roadster. Nothing on this car shown has the proportions or fit that any of those had. I also spend my days restoring classic era Packards and other makes. I've done this gig since the early 70s in my teens. Good luck to the owner on the sale. He has an anomoly from back in the "replicar" days. And again, don't take my response as hateful, as you said above, it is what it is.

I have to intervene here...there were some Locke bodied Chryslers that had the side door rumble seat access, as I said earlier. Photos not great, but shows the door.

post-37352-143138517308_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138517311_thumb.jpg

I agree, the rumble seat access door almost seems to be a "standard" feature for Locke body roadsters, a friend of mine from Baton Rouge had a '29 with that feature.

That the feature came on some Chryslers is not in question. The workmanship and form of the one on this car is what is questioned, and the fact that it doesn't meet design nor quality standards of period Classic coachwork.

I agree, the rumble seat access door almost seems to be a "standard" feature for Locke body roadsters, a friend of mine from Baton Rouge had a '29 with that feature.

That the feature came on some Chryslers is not in question. The workmanship and form of the one on this car is what is questioned, and the fact that it doesn't meet design nor quality standards of period Classic coachwork.

The side access door is a Derham feature too but I'm not sure if any ended up on Chrysler chassis.

Guest SuperNovaSS

Mickey attemped to take the door panels off to get a picture of the inner structure but they look to be glued on partially.

Jason

The side access door is a Derham feature too but I'm not sure if any ended up on Chrysler chassis.

Thanks to both above on this part of my response, but yes, it was never offered on any LeBarons that I'm aware of.

To be a bit more charitable, for lack of a better term, those of us in the game full time can actually spot new coachwork no matter how faithful it's been represented. In many cases it's because all of the known cars are well known and new ones just appear from time to time. Nothing wrong with new coachwork IMO if it's correct and faithful and not represented as anything remotely authentic with exception to craftsmanship and final presentation. This car doesn't meet any of that criteria. Nobody to blame or pick on here, it's just the way it is. I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers.

My though is this, if it is for sale, i guess let the thread stay here. The fellow has lots of publicity. If we are still trying to determine what it is, I would suggest moving this thread down to the Replica forum, maybe those guys are better suited to this kind of adaption/conversion/one off, what ever we should call it. I do wish the seller luck in finding sale or if he decides to repair and drive it. He sure will have a "one of a kind"! Much more rare than any Imperial.

AD

PLEASE let this post END! I check in only out of morbid curiosity but there has been no forward movement in at least 65 responses. Aaargghh!

This is a thread that never ends

It just goes on and on my friend

Some people started posting it

a long long time ago

When it might stop

You just never know

This is the thread that never ends.......

- digression from a summer camp campfire song

I think there is some interesting stuff found in various posts within this thread. I specifically liked the pictures of the Locke bodied imperials. If this thread is not worthwhile I can point you to about 500 other recent ones that are less interesting.

Guest SuperNovaSS

Sorry I have not replied recently. Some history has come to light on the car. Once this is confirmed, I will be happy to share.

Jason

• 1 month later...