Photo identification

Guest spsexton

Guest spsexton

Hi all, I'm interested in getting some help in identifying a car from an old photograph. Someone who saw the photo thought that it was a Dodge and so suggested I post the photo here.

I've attached a copy of the photo, which shows my grandfather with some friends on a road rally in northern Minnesota. I also posted the photo on my blog a while back, at Photo – St. Paul to Canada Road Rally, 1920s Sean on Family History

Can you guys take a look at the photo and confirm whether this is a Dodge? Also maybe take a guess as to the year?

Thanks!

Sean

post-73851-14313846293_thumb.jpg

I am the fellow who originally helped Sean identify the car prior to his posting it on this forum.

It is definitely a Dodge (distinct contour of fenders, location of headlight in relation to front fender, characteristic rear spring, etc.). However, I am not an expert on Dodges but I do believe it is a 1922 or 1923 for the following reasons:

1) I believe that Dodge tourings and roadsters did not have exterior door handles until 1922 (let me know if this is incorrect). Exterior door handles can be seen in the photo which makes the car at least a 1922.

2) The car has a 1923 Minnesota license plate which means the car cannot be newer than 1923.

The rectangular window in the rear curtain of the top is correct for 1922 and 1923 Dodges.

I see what you are saying, about what appears to be a bead at fender lip. It can also be seen under the left armpit of the fellow in the dark sweater.

I believe it is an illusion caused by dirt/dust and lighting.

If you look at the Dodge photos below, even with shiny paint the lighting causes some of the the fenders appear to have a bead at the lip (especially the coupe photo) even though Dodge fenders during those years did not have a bead.

post-45732-143138463789_thumb.jpg

post-45732-143138463792_thumb.jpg

post-45732-143138463795_thumb.jpg

post-45732-143138463798_thumb.jpg

post-45732-143138463801_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 18DodgeBrothers

E_Johnson is correct. 22 or 23 DB for all of the reasons listed. Besides license plate being 1923, the acorn-sytle headlights in picture were replaced by bucket headlights in 1924. You are correct, 1922 was first year for outside door handles.