Craigs list listing 1939 Cadillac

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

I was searching the local Craigs list listings in my area, and came across this.

I know that I should be posting this in the for sale section, but I wanted this to get as much exposure as it can get. Don't know about the condition. If someone is really interested, I might be able to get over there to take some photos.

1939 cadillac lasalle

Update, photos are now here. scroll down a bit for them

Edited by bofusmosby (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards

Another Craig's List scam?

I cannot imagine anyone having a '39 Cadillac of any condition resorting to Craig's list to sell it. In this case, take a real close look at the "story" and the grammar. I realize South Florida is full of people driving old cars, but someone would have to be brain dead to offer a '39 LaSalle that might just run and be somewhat drivable for $3999.

Jim

Guest bofusmosby

You may be correct on this, but maybe not. The car is supposed to be located in Tampa, which is where I live. It just that anyone REALLY interested, I might be able to check it out, and take some photos. It DOES sound too good to be true though, but you never know. I just thought I'd throw it out to our members here on this site.

Guest Jim_Edwards
You may be correct on this, but maybe not. The car is supposed to be located in Tampa, which is where I live. It just that anyone REALLY interested, I might be able to check it out, and take some photos. It DOES sound too good to be true though, but you never know. I just thought I'd throw it out to our members here on this site.

Jim I'd be very, very careful about going to see that car. One of the Craig List scams going on in the Houston area is the seller agreeing to meet someone and then robbing them at gun point. It's happened even with a meeting in a Wal*Mart parking lot in broad daylight.

With no real description of the car I'd be very leery of the legitimacy of the ad. Is there really a car? I did a quick check of the phone number and it is a cell phone from a Tampa suburb. Don't take any chances!

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Jim I'd be very, very careful about going to see that car. One of the Craig List scams going on in the Houston area is the seller agreeing to meet someone and then robbing them at gun point. It's happened even with a meeting in a Wal*Mart parking lot in broad daylight.

With no real description of the car I'd be very leery of the legitimacy of the ad. Is there really a car? I did a quick check of the phone number and it is a cell phone from a Tampa suburb. Don't take any chances!

Jim

ANY one that meets in a parking lot to look at a car should know better

my mom sends me urban myth emails all the time, really annoying

It has a Tampa phone number, the car is in Tampa

call if you are curious

go look at it if he has an address you can find, take a friend with you if you feel the neighborhood is "rough"

A LOT OF PEOPLE sell cars on Craigslist every day

in fact a LOT of people make "smoking deals" on cars on Craigslist every day

seriously, you need to have a less pessimistic outlook on things, as stated above it may be a rusty car that isn't worth the $4k ...

to go through life thinking someone will rip you off all the time is no life at all. I know such a person, he is a very sad individual, ALWAYS assuming he is getting taken advantage of, even when he goes to McDonalds ... very sad indeed

Guest Jim_Edwards
ANY one that meets in a parking lot to look at a car should know better

my mom sends me urban myth emails all the time, really annoying

It has a Tampa phone number, the car is in Tampa

call if you are curious

go look at it if he has an address you can find, take a friend with you if you feel the neighborhood is "rough"

A LOT OF PEOPLE sell cars on Craigslist every day

in fact a LOT of people make "smoking deals" on cars on Craigslist every day

seriously, you need to have a less pessimistic outlook on things, as stated above it may be a rusty car that isn't worth the $4k ...

to go through life thinking someone will rip you off all the time is no life at all. I know such a person, he is a very sad individual, ALWAYS assuming he is getting taken advantage of, even when he goes to McDonalds ... very sad indeed

Being a trusting person can get you robbed or killed.......Unfortunate fact of life today, hasn't anything to do with unwarranted paranoia. Don't you read the newspapers or watch TV news?

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

I constantly hear stories of folks being "ripped off" on e-bay. I have spent several 10s of thousands of dollars on e-bay on parts and have only had 1 incident that might be described as someone attempting to "rip me off". My last employee came to me via Craigs List and he is one of the better employees I've had.

I'm with Restorer on this one. I done hundreds of deals on e-bay and only once had someone try to "rip me off". He wanted to get a lower price for an original Isetta shop manual, because he claimed it was a copy. I told him that since he was unhappy, I would refund his money in full, just send the merchandise back. I refunded and when it returned it had been taken apart , obviously to copy it!!! I later sold the manual again to a very happy buyer who bought at a higher price!!! Likewise, I've never had a bad deal on the Craigslist deals I've made. Sure, you have to practice a little caution on both, because if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. (by the way, there's no need to get hostile just because someone differs from your opinion!!). But a little due dilligence goes a long way. Ask a few questions, get a couple of pictures,....if it still looks good, go look. If it sounds suspicious, or makes you uncomfortable....walk away.

Guest Jim_Edwards

I don't think ebay comparisons to Craig's list have much validity simply because ebay makes and effort to police what is taking place and Craig's List doesn't unless they get their hand called on something like being the Call Girls advertising medium.

If anyone is of the belief they shouldn't be extremely cautious with pursuing items on Craig's List anywhere read these recent articles.

Car buyers beware: Police warn of Craigslist robbery scam in Oakland - ContraCostaTimes.com

Craigslist 'robberies by appointment' turn violent - The Red Tape Chronicles - msnbc.com

UPDATE: A Warning for Craigslist Users After Three Incidents in Beloit

Craigslist ‘Robberies By Appointment’ Turn Violent Ten8

Get Robbed by Appointment on Craigslist | Ibrahim G. Yusuf

These are reference to just a few of hundreds of like stories and law enforcement admonitions regarding Craig's List. There are reports of hundreds of more incidents, several involving murders.

It would be greatly foolish for anyone to not deal with buying anything from Craig's list that would involve face to face meeting with a seller and/or pickup to be extremely cautious.

Jim

Guest bofusmosby

Jim

I really appreciate your concern in this matter. All of what you have already stated had already crossed my mind. If I DID go, I would also notify the police first, if I thought it at all sounded suspecious. I also would not be telling him what type of car I would be driving to his "place". I would also ask that if the car is in a garage, that he open his garage door before I arrive so it first could be seen from the road. This way, I can simply drive by, to see if the guy really has the car. I have lived in Tampa all of my life, and I know where most of the bad areas are located, for the most part. Unfortunately, the area I live in is one of the places that would be considered bad.

I would not be interested in the car for me, due to lack of funds, but figured all you guys and gals have helped me so much over the past, that if someone here wanted to get a "live" report on the car (including photos) I would be willing to check it out.

For the most part, I am of the opinion that most people are good. Its unfortunate that its the bad ones that we all hear about, and not the many good ones out there. However, Jim is correct. If it sounds too good to be true, there is a good chance that it is not. BUT, the possibility still exists that it could be that one-in-a-million of a deal.

The offer still stands, that if any of our member are REALLY interested in this car, then I'll look into it. Of course, being safe and smart always comes first.

I can't believe I'm reading stuff from grown men. Jeezo Pete, what scaredy cats. Just call the guy, talk to him, if he seems shady, make a choice. Get a buddy and go look at it or forget about it. Someone is going to look pretty foolish if another guy drives home in a 4 grand 39 LaSalle while you hid under the bed in fear of your own shadow

Guest bofusmosby

OK,here's the latest. I called the guy to get some info on the car. Here is what he said.

He bought the car from his Uncle (from Chicago) a number of years ago, and he drove it to and from work (about 10 miles) 5 days a week until the brakes went out. He has it parked under the carport, so it is out of the direct elements. He said that there is not much rot, and that the body is in pretty good shape. The interior is all there, but needs to be re-done inside and out. He also says he has a clear title. He said that the engine ran fine, as well as the transmission as far as he knows, but now, the battery is missing. It is still the 6 volt system. He says that the mileage is believed to be correct, and it is showing 87K. He will be closing on his house in 45 days, and he is selling other items as well , including a tractor. He also said that he always wanted to restore it, but never seemed to have the money or the time.

He does not have a digital camera, but he is going to try to send me some photos to my computer, and if he does, I'll be sure and post them here.

OK, after hearing this, what do you guys think? Remember, I will only go look at the car if someone is truly interested.

Guest Jim_Edwards
I can't believe I'm reading stuff from grown men. Jeezo Pete, what scaredy cats. Just call the guy, talk to him, if he seems shady, make a choice. Get a buddy and go look at it or forget about it. Someone is going to look pretty foolish if another guy drives home in a 4 grand 39 LaSalle while you hid under the bed in fear of your own shadow

Let me assure you I'm no "scaredy cat." Six years in the Marine Corps, pretty much cured any silly fears I might have once had. Much of that six years in combat in which I have personally taken out dozens and dozens of those dead set on killing me, even to survival once being dependent on a combat knife. I"m probably better able to defend myself without a weapon than 90% of the participants here and certainly have no trepidations about killing anyone that might try to kill me, even with my bare hands if necessary. Been there and done that! That does not change the fact there are all sorts of people in this world looking to do harm to unsuspecting overly trusting individuals.

Now if anyone takes offense to the suggestion of being very cautious, then so be it. Might just mean you will provide job security for your friendly neighborhood undertaker!;)

Jim

Guest bofusmosby

OK, I got the photos. They were taken with his cell phone, so the quality is not good. He also says that he had removed the bumpers, but still has them. Let me see if they will post here

The car would not excite me much, but over the years I have figured out there are a couple of eccentrics in the car hobby. If the guy has been saving a rusty old LaSalle for years there is no telling what else he has.

I go and look often with no interest in the car but just to poke around to see what else they have.

I think the idea came to me one night while watching a vampire movie. They said you had to invite the vampire in before he could bite you. A Craigslist ad a a good invitation.

ummmmmm, it works, I've bit a couple. :eek:

Let me assure you I'm no "scaredy cat." Six years in the Marine Corps, pretty much cured any silly fears I might have once had. Much of that six years in combat in which I have personally taken out dozens and dozens of those dead set on killing me, even to survival once being dependent on a combat knife. I"m probably better able to defend myself without a weapon than 90% of the participants here and certainly have no trepidations about killing anyone that might try to kill me, even with my bare hands if necessary. Been there and done that! That does not change the fact there are all sorts of people in this world looking to do harm to unsuspecting overly trusting individuals.

Now if anyone takes offense to the suggestion of being very cautious, then so be it. Might just mean you will provide job security for your friendly neighborhood undertaker!;)

Jim

Semper Fi

Delta 1-1 RVN 67-68

These robbery plot all seem to have similar themes. This one has a picture of a 39 LaSalle that seems legit and a seller with a story that also seems believable. Doesn't fit the theme of the murderous felons that infest Craigslist. Tell him your interested and you want to have a looksee. Take a friend. If all goes well, all three of you go to the bank and close the deal. If the guy know you're showing up with empty pockets, there's little chance that he's going to jack you. Like I said, someone will be driving a LaSalle next month for which he paid 4K or less. If I was in FL, that guy would be me

Guest bofusmosby
Jim, I have to give you an A for effort! I hope someone can use the car as I have seen too many destroyed because no one knew the car existed.

Thank you Steve. It means a lot to me, hearing that from you! I too, hate to see these cars destroyed. I figured that the car would get a lot more exposure with the RIGHT type of people.

John, as I said before, I am not interested in the car. Even if I were, I am still paying off the loan I got for my '37 Pontiac. I am just offering my services to our members here, to take a look, take some photos, and ask the questions that really need to be asked. Like I said, if someone here is REALLY interested, then I will do this for them. No kick-back, no commission, or anything like that. I'm just trying to save an old car. Geez, maybe the seller should be paying me for the advertisement. :D

Guest bofusmosby
Jim,you just went from having interest in a 41 Chevy in Wisconsin,about 2000 miles away to no interest in a 39 Lasalle in your backyard. That's not the way to do it.

Truth be told, I have an interest in many old cars. BUT, the facts are right now, I can't afford another car, be it next door, or a 1000 miles away. I feel like a kid in a candy store with no change in my pockets.:eek: However, it would still give me much joy, to not only see an old car saved, but to help out someone else obtaining a car that they really want, and can afford.

Clincher

I just made the post by what was being advertised. As stated before, I am new to this hobby. There is a lot more that I do NOT know, compared to what I Do know. Thank you for pointing this out. Hey, I kind of learn as I go.

Just a footnote about advertizing collector cars on Craigslist, which is generally regarded as a local advertizing media; Some ads for rarer cars advertized on it get picked up by "sitemash" and go out worldwide. A rare car was recently advertized there, and 54 responses were received within 48 hours, coming from Australia, Germany, Italy, Chile, Canada, and thruout the USA. An advertizers paradise, and it's all free!

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

For those of you hesitant to look at cars on Craigslist here's a short list of some of the cars I've bought in the last few years, 1932 Studebaker St Regis, 1958 Dodge Custom Royal D500, 1967 Olds 442 W30 (set a record for unrestored 442's when I sold it), 1956 Desoto convertible, 1955 Buick Roadmaster convertible, 1941 Desoto business coupe and on and on. Never been robbed, assaulted nor abused. Been insulted once or twice but I can take it even though I wasn't a marine.

Guest cardinal905

Just sold a 51 Buick on C/L. Had tons of calls and e-mails----and I met a lot of nice car guys, nothing wrong with Craigslist in my book.

For those of you hesitant to look at cars on Craigslist here's a short list of some of the cars I've bought in the last few years, 1932 Studebaker St Regis, 1958 Dodge Custom Royal D500, 1967 Olds 442 W30 (set a record for unrestored 442's when I sold it), 1956 Desoto convertible, 1955 Buick Roadmaster convertible, 1941 Desoto business coupe and on and on. Never been robbed, assaulted nor abused. Been insulted once or twice but I can take it even though I wasn't a marine.

:)