1941 Chrysler Windsor questions

Guest jasndal

Guest jasndal

I have tried everywhere I know, to find rear fender gravel shields. I have seen a lot of pics of restored cars with what look like new ones, but can't locate a supplier. I can't afford to have them made and have only the right one for a pattern, anyway.

Also, I'd like to add an LED third brake light, mounted inside the rear window. I cannot locate a slim, subtle strip in a 6 volt; everything seems to be 12 volt.

Any ideas about either of the above?

I have tried everywhere I know, to find rear fender gravel shields. I have seen a lot of pics of restored cars with what look like new ones, but can't locate a supplier. I can't afford to have them made and have only the right one for a pattern, anyway.

Also, I'd like to add an LED third brake light, mounted inside the rear window. I cannot locate a slim, subtle strip in a 6 volt; everything seems to be 12 volt.

Any ideas about either of the above?

I may have a pair of gravel shields for you. Can you post a photo of the one you have?

• 1 month later...
Guest jasndal
I may have a pair of gravel shields for you. Can you post a photo of the one you have?

I'm new to this forum and don't know how to post a pic, here. I'll try to figure it out and do so, asap. BTW, I mi-spoke. The one that I have is the left.

Thanks for the response.

Guest jasndal
41 Gravel Shields are being advertised in WPC News. Unfortunately they do not fit my 40.

I'll check my new issue and see if I can locate that advert. Thanks for the info.

What '40 do you have?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jasndal
New Yorker Business Coupe with Running Board delete option.

40CNY10093.jpg

If you look closely, the mounting holes for the shields are just visible on the rear fender.

Narve, that is a beauty! I like the proportions of the hood length on the New Yorker, better than the Windsor. Elegant. Do you have difficulty finding repair parts in Europe?

Thanks to 2WW the 40/41s never were sold in Europe as new, and correspondingly there are no parts to be found here today. On the other hand, almost anything can be found in the US and prices are bearable thanks to the fact so few pepole understand how great these cars are. Truly overengineered.

For your second question:

("Also, I'd like to add an LED third brake light, mounted inside the rear window. I cannot locate a slim, subtle strip in a 6 volt; everything seems to be 12 volt.") - Have you considered the tailight of a 46-48 with built-in 3rd brakelight? Refer photo:

48CW2rumpe.jpg

Guest jasndal

Narve, my car already has a center brake light, per the picture I attach. It is not as large as the '46 - '48, but the problem is that US drivers are accustomed to the third brake light being in the rear window, so they are not looking down, at the deck lid. Most follow much too closely and don't see the light down on the deck lid. I have seen a small LED strip used in collector cars, which is not so unattractive as the one that I have.

post-64474-143138504926_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest jasndal

I have located a source for excellent quality and accuracy reproductions. Unfortunately, I need some advice on what adhesive to use in attaching them to the painted surface of the leading edge of the rear fenders. The adhesive used by the body shop allowed them to pull away within hours of installing them for me.

Guest jasndal

The only place I was able to locate, which made 6-volt LEDs, has quit making them. Lack of demand and simple eonomics. Thanks for responding.

Guest jasndal
RTV Makes a good bonder for trim. Dan

Thanks, Rusty. I assume I can find it at any auto supply store. Right now, I'm dealing with starting issues and probably looking at rebuilding the starter and generator. I am not sure what the body shop used to affix them to the fenders, but it's a really gooey substance, like heavy rubber cement and I'm not sure how to remove it, without removing paint, also, which I don't want to do. That has to be addressed before trying a different adhesive.