Help needed-Intake manifold ID 30's-40's

old_Art

Hi, I would appreciate any help in identifying this manifold. I suspect it is a 30's to 40's Chrysler Straight 8, but I've been unable to find anything on the internet that can help me identify it. Center to center on the 2 inner ports is 7 3/4". Center to center from the outer ports to the adjacent inner port is 7 1/2". Center to center on the 2 outer ports is 22 5/8". I should also mention that it is not factory, but rather an aftermarket part and is aluminum. I'm not after the manufacturer, which is Thickstun, and it was produced either in late 1941 or 1946. Just trying to figure out if it is Chrysler Straight 8. Please ignore the shoe in first picture as it has been successfully identified.

Thanks in advance, Art

post-57769-143138448882_thumb.jpg

post-57769-143138448894_thumb.jpg

post-57769-143138448904_thumb.jpg

Edited by old_Art (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

G'day Guys,

The photos of these dual carb intakes are very interesting!

I am currently building a 1930 Dodge Straight 8 Roadster and am planning to make a few small mods to it to improve the performance.

I was planning to fabricate a dual carb inlet not knowing that these had been made back in the day.

Can you give me some tips as to where you found these two? I would love to use a period intake if at all possible.

Cheers and Thanks

Stewart

Thanks Rusty, I am 99% sure the port spacing on all Chrysler and Dodge straight 8's is the same (perhaps excluding imperials).

I know it would be expensive and I am prepared to pay the price if one comes up because it would add such an awesome touch to my car.

In the end though like you say, I may have to make my own.

Cheers

Stooy, here are some photos of a project that has been on hold for almost ten years. I have plans for a 265 C.I. six for a 48 Windsor. I made the nine flanges for the six-cylinder and got some 1 3/4" stainless-steel tubing and plan on making a homemade intake and exhaust. Since this project I have gained an interest in the straight eight and would like to install one into another 48 Windsor coupe (poor condition, rat-rod material) that we have.

It took me approximately nine hours to make the nine flanges for the six, the eight cylinder will take 12 flanges. I would like to take patterns and see if a metal shop could cut them out of plate for a reasonable cost.

I made the flanges shown out of 1/2" hot-rolled flat bar and using a 1 3/4" hole saw the tubing fits nicely into the flange. I will hold the tubing about 1/4" shy of the engine surface of the flange and put a fillet-weld on the inside where it will not be seen. With the 1/2" flange and this small weld the flanges should not warp.

As can be seen the actual arrangement for any of the tubing has not been decided, i will fabricate with the engine sitting in position. After reading about intake manifolds I will also make some provision for heating the intake manifold, maybe silver-soldering some copper tubing to the stainless.post-39071-143142388277_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142388261_thumb.jpg

post-39071-14314238827_thumb.jpg

Thanks Rusty, I am 99% sure the port spacing on all Chrysler and Dodge straight 8's is the same (perhaps excluding imperials).

I know it would be expensive and I am prepared to pay the price if one comes up because it would add such an awesome touch to my car.

In the end though like you say, I may have to make my own.

Cheers

Before i paid that kind of money plus shipping around the world I would consider casting my own manifold. There are web sites about making castings at home, or you may find a foundry near you that will do custom work.

The reason Edmunds could turn out so many manifolds for obscure cars was that he did not spend much time or money on the patterns. Take another look at that manifold above. His patterns were often sawn out of 2X6 timber.

Come on Rusty-does my manifold really look that crappy and bad? lets see some of your great ****---deleted swear word comment !

Old Edmunds manifolds are highly sought after by hundreds of people even though they are patterned with 2x6 Ironwood.

You are just jealous because you don't have one to show us!

I think back in 1958 I read how to cast a manifold for a Moon car in Mechanics Illustrated for under a dollar.

Bob

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Who said they were crappy or bad? I said the patterns were not very complicated or difficult to make as such things go.

If I wanted a manifold for such an engine, and could not find one, my first choice would be to modify the stock manifold by welding on flanges. Second choice, fabricate one from steel tubing. Last choice make a pattern and cast one.

Of course, if I could pick one up at the local autoparts store it would be working in vain.

Give me some time, I need to get a 48 Ford and a 50 Dodge going then I'll finish the manifolds for the 265 C.I. engine I started so long ago. Having fitted and welded cryogenic piping since 1974 I guarantee it won't look cobbled or cheesy.

The plan is to fabricate a single carb intake and use a Stromberg AAVS or equivalent. The exhaust I want all six pipes dumping into one 3 inch pipe. Running the front port to a concentric reducer to go up to 3'' pipe then having the other five tubes intersecting the 3 inch at some angle to be determined. It should look something like the exhaust header used on a Miller or similar race car of inline engine days, but it will be under the hood and not running down the side of the car.

I did the welded on flange on a stock exhaust years ago and I also don't care for the look.

Jay

G'day Guys,

Dave- Thanks for the offer, but if I go this way I will do it in my home workshop.

Rusty & C49ER - I will look into the casting route.

Narve - What is the name of the shop you mention above?

Jazzer - I can't wait to see the next installment when you get time.

Bob, make the package (US--$650.00+ pkg) the C-39 3 window and I'll fly out. The $650.00 isn't a problem but whatever the package costs I can use the house for collateral:).

Jay

My Edmunds manifold is for sale, shipped only in the US--$650.00+ pkg and Shipping costs.

Bob

• 2 years later...
On 18/02/2014 at 4:27 PM, c49er said:

My Edmunds manifold is for sale, shipped only in the US--$650.00+ pkg and Shipping costs.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Is it still for sale?  Please send me a PM so we can discuss. 

Many Thanks 

Stewart