Dual intake manifold and finned aluminum heads

b6vt

The items named, dual intake and finned aluminum heads are the holy grail of treasure hunts when it comes our beloved V12. This is a thought, If There were enough members interested, could we approach the producer with a mass order and bring the price down. Currently I was quoted just short of $5k for the lot- WAY beyond my budget. Any thoughts? Glenn Lorei b6vt

Me too. Hopefully price will be $500 to 1000 range. I recall someone in Texas was making intake manifolds, but not heads, Austin maybe?. Seems like someone who already makes aluminum flathead V8 heads could put a mold together for V-12's. Doesn't look like it would be hard to cast. One problem will be heads are not interchangeable due to the water heater outlet on the left head.

Abe

Guest frenchy dehoux

Amember of the Lincoln Zephyr club back in the early 90's was doing a production of the heads and intake manifolds I had a pair of these heads installed on Roy Thorson's 36 sedan. Nice heads and never had a problem with them. Jon Scobel was the owner of the foundry in San Jose Calif.

Frenchy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry I havn't had any firm figures on cost and the source that I was given was not given a very good review. since I am fronting this effort I want it to be flawless. I will continue my effort--there has to be an acceptable source someplace that is also reasonable in cost. Glenn Lorei (b6vt)

I recently received a reply from a supplier in California. The indication was that they could only consider "breaks in price " with orders that exceeded 20 pairs of heads. And then no price was quoted. It would seem to me that if there were enough SOLID interest that the LZOC org would or could swing enough interest to make it a worth while endeavour for some party that already had the r and d completed and the casting molds in a ready position. Is there or better yet are there other people in the org that have any ideas on this. glenn Lorei b6vt

Glen:

When I don't know where to start, I google (or Yahoo, Bing) "cylinder head casting" and get a few e-mails to try. We don't necessarily need an automotive manufacture, but you'd think anyone who makes flathead V-8 heads could do the job. I've seen some "Precision Cast Parts" stuff in aircraft much more complicated than we need. Maybe Alcoa would have some leads. I have no experience in ordering castings myself. Might be discouraging, but keep looking.

Abe

I suggest that you discuss this topic with Earle Brown, Jr., former LZOC President and well-known parts supplier. Earle is a retired Alcoa engineer and I believe he was familiar with Jon Scobel's enterprise in California. I recall Earle having some of the limited edition heads available one year at the Winter Swap Meet in Harrisburg.

• 3 weeks later...

The search continues. It would appear that the people who have this skill and the equipment to create these parts require lots of time and dollars. I would not expect them to do this for their health. The limited market that our organization would provide is just not enough. Therefore, the high prices.

I am not quitting on the quest--I will share the info when and if it happens.

Glenn Lorei b6vt

Guest Wayne38Zephyr

Hi Glenn , i'm new on here but i have a friend here in England that casts Aluminium (aluminum !) parts , i'll run it by him and see what he thinks ,

Cheers

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Glen:

In the new Hemmings Motor news, May 2011, page 457, is the following:

"Aluminum cylinder heads, hi-compression, finned and non-finned, show quality, Zepher, K Model, made to order. Randall Freeman, 585-943-6596, NY"

Maybe he'd give a price break for 20 sets? Anyone have experience with this fellow? You might also find the ad at Hemmings Motor News: Auto Classifieds - Hemmings Auto Classifieds feature cars for sale nation wide. as well.

Abe

Abe,

I called and left a message for this fellow. He called me last night--I saw the same ad. He seemed a really nice guy and I told him what we were interested in doing. Do you think we can get 20 interested buyers?? If you do, that would be a great bargaining tool. Glenn Lorei b6vt

Glen:

Looking at the entries in this thread, must be at least 10 who would buy at up to some reasonable price. Maybe we could suggest a value that might be good per your discussions with suppliers, and get us to say we'd be willing to spend up to that amount. Perhaps one of the AACA suppliers would be willing to take a few to sell? There is always e-Bay. I don't think a set would be difficult to sell if one of us has a set and for some reason can't install.

Abe

• 3 weeks later...

To Those interested: I have found a foundry in California that is producing the heads. finned or stock in aluminum alloy plus the the intake manifold. In

three carb set up--no two carb. He suggested that the center position is blocked off if a person only wants a two carb system. The intake is a common

plenum system so you don't need an equalizing system. The price on the intake manifold by itself is $900 plus. I Found this in the latest edition of the Hemmings magazine. I have personally found a dual intake manifold, dual

plenum set up .It has to be modified with a equalizer. There is a fellow who

has been referred to me to do this. The heads are still an item on my wish list but 3k+ is still too much for my budget. For those who would like to pursue this please contact me personally at glorei@kc.rr.com. Glenn Lorei b6vt