Reconstruction of a '34 Chevy Master Coupe

Bitter and sweet. It's bitter for us that we won't be looking in on Northern Ontario and a great restoration any longer. Sweet that you've succeeded with your goal and the true meaning it has brought to you and your family. Thank You Pat, enjoy the fruits of your labor, Happy Centennial Birthday on behalf of your Dad.

Chuck

Congratulations on a great restoration. Your project is an inspiration to us all and shows that any car can be restored with the right attitude, knowledge, and maybe thicker wallet.

I hope to pull a car out of a junkyard one day soon and do the same thing...but I'm out of the space at the moment. Although many of the cars in the junkyards I see are beyond a rational-cost restoration, I still hate to see them go to the crusher either way.

Attended the annual Gravenhurst Car Show. There was a lot there to make Mr.Keiser happy.

THANK YOU for the MoPar photos.....you KNOW what I like! I REALLY like the color of the stripes and the pinstriping job that you did.

Gosh darn!I've never had so many compliments about anything in my entire life. They are much appreciated. My goal now is get it to run flawlessly and to be dead reliable. Then I'll really be able to enjoy it. Right now there is always a little stress when I take it out. Happy 4th of July to my American friends.

• 4 weeks later...

Today, four of us drove about 75 miles to a nearby town to attend a small gathering. Parked next to my Mustang was a rather rare beast. A 1937 Desoto convertible sedan. I'm told there are less than 10 left. I thought it would look right at home in Mr.Keiser's garage.

post-59904-143142663904_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143142663911_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143142663919_thumb.jpg

I know they are super rare, but there is no way of telling how many are actually left. There may be another lurking somewhere. I had a chance to buy one along with a parts car, but it was one of those times of no money....like now. Only 426 of those were built.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello gang. this morning a photo on facebook got my heart a-twittering. It was supposedly taken in my hometown in 1942 and shows two 1934 coupes like mine. Now, my uncle had bought mine in 1943, according to family lore. So it was definitely possible that one of them was my car. Until I saw the '49 in the background and checked the license plates which likely are '49 as well. So, false alarm, but exciting anyway.

2%20Chevrolet%201934.jpg

6 hours ago, keiser31 said:

That looks like a 1941 Plymouth in the background.

Hi Keiser. That is what several people said on the VCCA as well. So all hope isn't lost. Hearst had 900 souls in 1942. So what are the odds of there being many 5 window coupes? sedans & coaches maybe, but coupes? Anyway, I asked the fellow who hosts the hometown old photos on facebook to inquire with the provider who is the daughter of the lady in the photo if she knows anything about the car.

The only other niggling doubt is that my car was supposedly grey before my dad and his brother painted it black with a brush. The cars in the photo are dark. But a guy can hope, can he?

21 hours ago, Landman said:

Thanks Paul. It has been a while hasn't it?

Indeed!!!   Still the best project ever.  I tell people about you digging the car out of the field and restoring it and it always takes the cake.

I've been driving through the country more as we take my son around the south-east to various golf tournaments and it never fails that I see a car sitting in a field in similar condition.  I always think that Pat would dig that thing out and make it new again. :)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/10/2011 at 6:50 PM, Landman said:

At about that time I was called to work. I found an ad for a Close coupled sedan, Canadianese for a Sport Sedan. I bought that. Then another one for the drivetrain af another car that someone rodded. So now I had two drivetrains, two sidemount hardware sets, and a few other things. I never did get his luggage rack though. Also, one of the farmers on my pipeline route had a pile of white ash , sort of grayed and weathered but well cured. I was now ready to start.

post-59904-143138442821_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143138442827_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143138442833_thumb.jpg

The first photo is the same car I got, what a challenge it’s being so far but I’m just beside myself on how much talent you have! Inspirational really! 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2011 at 8:43 PM, Landman said:

Now, here I have to digress a bit. The day I was cutting the whellwells off the coupe with the sawzall, my daughter came in & took a picture. She said she wanted to show her friends what kind of hobby I had. So I left it at that. She then took it to a photographer along with a photo of my dad taken more or less when he owned the car and had his picture ghosted over mine. It looks like the ghost of my dad watching me work on his car. They had that mounted in a frame and gave it to me for Christmas. Needless to say, I was totally speechless for several minutes.

That picture hangs in my garage and is my motivation.

post-59904-143138452384_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143138452393_thumb.jpg

10 years and a month or so... and this picture still gives me goosebumps.  Our hobby is a true labor of love.

• Like 3

I just joined this forum yesterday as I was anticipating the arrival of my grandfather's 1949 Chrysler Windsor, which arrived today. I was hoping to be able to get some advice as I have never restored a classic car before. Instead I get this awe inspiring thread as a beautiful source of inspiration. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 10:52 AM, Rlasker3 said:

I just joined this forum yesterday as I was anticipating the arrival of my grandfather's 1949 Chrysler Windsor, which arrived today. I was hoping to be able to get some advice as I have never restored a classic car before. Instead I get this awe inspiring thread as a beautiful source of inspiration. Thank you so much!

Welcome!  Start a thread in "Our Cars & Restoration Projects" and let us follow along.  I not familiar with the Windsor but it looks like a cool car and I love a restoration of a car that's been in the family.  Silly me... I see you've already done that!!

Edited by Luv2Wrench (see edit history)