wire for the resistor block and coil

Guest sergvillarreal

Guest sergvillarreal

Electrical question....

Where is the resistor wire supposed to originate from? Does it go through the

bulkhead connection? I have looked through all of my wiring diagrams and cannot seem to find it. Does it come directly from the ignition switch?

Right now, my coil is not getting power while the starter is cranking. As soon as I let go of the switch into the run position, it starts right up. However, If I feed 12volts directly to the coil, the starter stays engaged....

Any ideas? My car is a 1963 Buick Riv...

Thanks,

Sergio

Hi Sergio,

If your Riv starts in the run position and operates properly after that point your resistance wire is OK. I dont have a schematic in front of me but as I recall your `63 bypasses the resistance wire while cranking from the ignition switch...and not from the starter solenoid like later cars. Take a look at your ign switch to be sure it is showing battery voltage at the crank/bypass terminal while in the crank position.

Tom Mooney

Guest sergvillarreal

I forgot to mention that I am running the MSD Electronic Billet Distributor and the M.A.D. Enterprises Starter relay kit. The MSD requires full 12V so, I had removed the resistor wire all together.

Guest sergvillarreal

I think that I just realized the solution.... I need to wire the second terminal from the the Ford Relay back to the coil!!! By the way, this approach (even though it involves a Ford part) completely eliminates hot start problems. And the MSD Distributor is perfect right out of the box....