Registereing trailers in Maine

Guest mkmkmk

Guest Jim_Edwards

Geez another scam attempt!

To register a vehicle or trailer in any state one must be a resident of that state or maintain a residence in that state. All they're after is your personal information and credit card numbers so you can be ripped off.

This is the "real" Maine DMV: http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/registration/pstlbfrd.htm

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

hello I have to register a trailer for hauling and have heard about registering it in Maine to save money it seems to make sense. I have done some research and I found this place online

Thanks

Hi, I sent you a private message!

I don't know about the company you listed, but the info that I sent you by private message is with a company I have been dealing with for over 30 years. The license tags are not a lot cheaper, but you don't have to worry about state inspections, or the big saver, property tax. This service is legal in every state within the east coast. Check out all of those heavy road rigs you see on the highway. The tractor may read one state, but the trailers will either be Maine or Illinois. There is a reason for this. ;)

Wayne

Hi Guys,

Thanks both for the comments. Jim I spoke with Sam at Maine trailer registrations and he said he has been doing this for over 30 years with no issues. I have read on a few other forums that this is very legit and legal. But I understand it does sound a little sketchy, may I ask why you think it is a scam. I'm not trying to challenge you I just want to get all the facts before i send off money

Thanks for your help

Hey MK,Absolutely legal in New York.I have had my 28' tri axle car hauling trailer registered in Maine for the last couple of years.I don't have the paperwork in front of me but i know it's saving me a bunch of:D dough:D.The place that handled the paperwork for me said the ONLY issue anyone from New York ever had was SOMETIMES the NY State Police would make a point of:eek: CLOSELY:eek: examining your rig cause they were aware of you circumventing the usual registration process and :eek:not willingly:eek: filling Albanys coffers.My advise to you is get it done and make SURE your tow rig is ALWAYS 100%Take care.:)diz

Edited by DizzyDale (see edit history)

Geez another scam attempt!

To register a vehicle or trailer in any state one must be a resident of that state or maintain a residence in that state. All they're after is your personal information and credit card numbers so you can be ripped off.

Not so. I know several Delawarians who do it, though I'm not so sure you have to go through a service to get it set-up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MARTINOS1

hey guys, i have a two wheel tow dolly and a 5x7 home made trailer. i live in ILLINOIS and they suck. As of January 1st 2011, when they changed the laws here. Now they come and inspect your trailer b4 stamping the frame..i tried to get a title [ still am ] for my 5x7 home made trailer and its been a nightmare. Pictures, forms, more info needed... on and on they go..Now my tow dolly, they don't plate here because the law is ...the car you are towing has to have a plate on it !!. i know this from, a 75.00 ticket fact..i was hauling a 71 demon, butt naked metal and got the ticket. told the cop it was just sand blasted and i was bringing it home..why put a plate on it to get damaged..well i paid the ticket..Illinois sucks with the new trailer laws as too many thieves are out there, stealing mobile homes and making trailers. now they literally come to your house and inspect it and stamp the frame b4 they will issue you a title and plates..i still need a title for my 5x7 completely legal with lights, new tires the whole shabang...i could use some info. myself on how to get around ILLINOIS new law...but if i register it in another state dont i have to re-register it to my home address? which i wouldnt mind spending the extra money for a transfer, but how do you get a open trailer title when you dont live in that state...help me guys this waiting and games suck.... thanks guys.....

• 2 years later...
Guest krobbins27

I am a Maine resident and this state allows anyone, individuals or companies, register their trailer here (homemade trailers too). The Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles currently has 13 authorized Statutory Resident Agent companies. In order for someone to register their trailer in Maine, they need an address. Maine's law allows these agents to use their address as the non-residents legal address. Registration periods are from 1-25 years in length more than 12 years having special requirments. Also, if you are a resident of Maine, you can also use the long term plates that the local city halls / tow offices due not offer. Maine residents need to use an Agent as well to get registration lengths of 5 or more years. Most non-residents are not required to pay sales / use tax, but there are circumstances that may require it. Maine also requires titles on trailer, but only if they are 1995 or newer and weight more than 3000lbs unloaded. I would suggest checking out www.acetrailerreg.com and giving them a call. They will cater to anyone, whether they have 1 trailer of thousands of trailers and will complete all of the required paperwork for Maine in order to obtain a trailer plate.

• 1 year later...

Ok, I registered my trailers today in Maine. My open flatbed in mass is.......280.00 registration fee, 50.00 one time title, 6.25 one time sales tax, and every year 85.00 excise tax, and a once a year trailer inspection sticker of 35.00 thus a total of 400 bucks per year plus a title and sales tax at purchase. I use the trailer 8 times a year. That's 50 dollars every time I use it just in taxes and fees. I registered in Maine today for 10 years for 203.00 dollars. I paid 3000.00 new for the trailer in 89. That's 25 years at an average of 300 per year or 7500 in taxes and fees for a 3k trailer. I'm tired of having the state of MASS stick it to me. I just overhauled the old trailer....new everything....led lights, tires and rims, new backing plates with new brakes and mags, new bearings, then blasted and painted the dam thing. It coast me almost 2 k, but it's a good heavy trailer and as good as a new 7k one. I'll get another 25 years out of it. And it's gonna be cheaper. I plan to do the same with my closed trailer later this month.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Everything went well and now I have my Maine plate and registration. Several other local guys have joined me. Process was very easy, did all of it on line. Sent a scan of my old registration, paid by credit card. All is well. Not only do I save lots of money, I'm good for 10 years.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pops1532
Hi, I sent you a private message!

I don't know about the company you listed, but the info that I sent you by private message is with a company I have been dealing with for over 30 years. The license tags are not a lot cheaper, but you don't have to worry about state inspections, or the big saver, property tax. This service is legal in every state within the east coast. Check out all of those heavy road rigs you see on the highway. The tractor may read one state, but the trailers will either be Maine or Illinois. There is a reason for this. ;)

Wayne

No one registers a trailer in Illinois to save money!

I've looked into registering my trailers in Maine. It could potentially save me hundreds of dollars a year. Problem is I can't get a straight answer. The people working at the local Secretary Of State office (the IL version of the DMV) don't know for sure. Someone at the state office told me I could indeed register my trailers in Maine but I'd have to plate my tow vehicle for the combined GVWR of the trailer and tow vehicle. I'm not buying that explanation either. What if the tow vehicle is a car?

If the people at the SoS office can't give me a definitive answer, I wouldn't expect law enforcement to know either.

I also got an opinion from my insurance agent. He also wasn't sure but thought the insurance company would consider the trailer to be used for interstate commerce unless I had a second residence in Maine. "Interstate commerce" opens a can of worms when it comes to insurance and government regulation.

• 5 years later...
3 hours ago, jrsavoie said:

Old thread. Are there any updates?   Illinois has jacked plates up so high we can not afford to plate our trailers.   Would this work on a 20,000 gvw dump trailer?

I don't think it is as cheap on a trailer over 21K, I would call and talk directly to one of the Maine plate companies that advertise. They are very helpful, and know right away if they can help. Good luck.

I have both my trailers, a flat deck and a 16'box registered in Maine. I went through a broker, and paid a minimal fee to do so. Absolutely no problems in doing so. I spoke with the guy on the phone. I think I got 5 yr reg. for each and it was still much cheaper than 1 yr in MD. MD dmv fees are horrendous. I am not sure on the legality, I have been told it is legal within the fine print. I have never had any problems. The one problem I did have was taking a work trailer into PA from MD without a DOT no. though, That created ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS.

The trick is to have proof of sales tax paid and a title in your home state. That way they can't accuse you of dodging taxes. I keep a copy of my Mass Title and taxes paid in the trailer with the registration. I always carry one set of paperwork in the trailer, and one in the truck glove box. That way if I decide I don't want to open the box, there is no ability for them to peek in. Also having well maintained equipment is a plus......gives them less reasons to write you up. I actually have a box in my back seat with air gauge, maintenance log, safety vest, fire extinguishers, ect. When they see your serious about haveing good equipment and safety devices it goes a long way.   

• Like 3

I have trailered motorcycles all over the east coast and into Canada with no problems. I was doing a job in Western PA, as i pulled into the jobsite (a landfill) the State Police were there checking all of the trucks coming in. I was promptly pulled over and gone over with a fine tooth comb. With my construction experience and from driving a dump truck I had most things in order. Fire ext., all safety stuff, well maintained with records etc. Only thing was no DOT ( i didnt think i needed one for the size of truck i had). In the end after a 2 1/2 hr inspection, he gave me a warning and to get my dot asap. THEN he hit me with, 'let me see your license'. He was quite surprised that I had a CDL with a current medical card, I suspect that is what he planned on giving me a ticket for.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:42 AM, TAKerry said:

I have trailered motorcycles all over the east coast and into Canada with no problems. I was doing a job in Western PA, as i pulled into the jobsite (a landfill) the State Police were there checking all of the trucks coming in. I was promptly pulled over and gone over with a fine tooth comb. With my construction experience and from driving a dump truck I had most things in order. Fire ext., all safety stuff, well maintained with records etc. Only thing was no DOT ( i didnt think i needed one for the size of truck i had). In the end after a 2 1/2 hr inspection, he gave me a warning and to get my dot asap. THEN he hit me with, 'let me see your license'. He was quite surprised that I had a CDL with a current medical card, I suspect that is what he planned on giving me a ticket for.

Would you count this as "police harassment" and if so are you out protesting also?

PS: I think most of us have been subjected to less than professional experiences with the police.  

• Like 1