1957 SweepSpear Color Change

TG57Roadmaster

The issue comes up every now and then of the sweepspear colors seen on '57s. As early as December, 1956 (and likely before) color changes were reported in the field, and engineering released Product Service Bulletins noting them.

For those needing documentation of the molding color changes, the appropriate BPS bulletins are proof for judging that the colors are indeed legit. I'll scan the pages and put them in the Buick Gallery here so they can be printed for your records. Briefly, this is what they say...

BPS 2.418, Jan. 4, 1957, page 62,

"Red Band Special Service Letter, Dealer No. 194, dated December 6, 1956...CHANGING COLOR ON MOLDING...

all 1957 models at the present time have the tangerine accent stripe painted with Dulux. In the event repairs are necessary, the tangerine color is available under Dulux Mixing Number 56505H. In the event a color change is desired it is recommended that Dulux Air Dry be used and the following procedure observed...(instructions for painting, etc.)"

Followed by BPS 2.421, March 8, 1957, page 138,

"CHANGING COLOR ON MOLDING...In BPS 2.418 an article was published on the method of repairing the Tangerine accent stripe. We have been advised that in addition to the Tangerine accent stripe, green and blue colors are also being made available. In the event repairs or changes in the color of the accent stripe are desired, the colors are available under the following Dulux Mixing Numbers:

Tangerine - 56505H

Green - 56515H

Blue - 56516H (shop instructions follow)."

These changes are referenced in the 1957 Buick Product Service Bulletins, Abridged Edition, on page 136, with just the color and code listings. Only the loose-leaf BPS bulletins go into the detail shown above, so I hope this info will be of some use.

TG

Ps, the Tangerine used as the optional color on '57 wheels uses the same basic Dulux code, G94-56505.

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Thanks TG for the posting..now how do you know if you should have which color on your car? Is there a chart for what paint schemes would have the different colored sweepspear than the tangerine? Food for thought...

Jim,

I think the wording sums it up, "if a color change is desired," meaning at the dealer you tell 'em you don't want a Tangerine molding with a Biscay Blue car...these are changes authorized in the field.

There may be a chart in Buick's Archives (needle/haystack), but for repair/replacement parts, "all 1957 models at the present time have the tangerine accent stripe." There are only Tangerine moldings listed in Group 8.00, no blue or green.

TG

Ah...one of those "Field Calls...hmmm" So, for judging purposes, if you had a Biscay Blue car, and blue accent stripes, you would be ok for judging, no points off. Now, how does one find the correct color of these "field changes". Most of those DUCO formulas are null and void with any paint shop now. Any paint chips for this out there? The plot thickens like good gravy...:)

Interesting! My 57 Roadmaster had blue-painted trim and I repainted it all in tangerine! The blue paint looked okay from a distance but it was obvious to me that it was not done at the factory. Since the car is two-tone blue, it looked good but it bothered me so much not being original that I changed it back. I wonder now if this had been one of those dealer color changes! The blue was sort of a medium to dark blue. I also have a piece of trim, I believe, from another 57 that has green paint on it; I wonder it this is the green that is being mentioned? I think it's a light green if I remember correctly...

I hope to get the RM painted wihtin the next couple years, and now I wonder if I should consider putting the blue back on the trim?

What color are your wheels? It is my understanding that the tangerine wheels were optional and the color change on the sweep spear was co-ordinated to the car color and the wheels were black on the outside and gray on the inside where the optional tangerine wheels were not ordered. I have had two Caballeros that had opted not to have the tangerine. On both, the sweep spears were co-ordinated.

Dan

post-54279-143138422111_thumb.jpg

post-54279-143138422118_thumb.jpg

post-54279-143138422126_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)

Thanks Leif, we needed that paint info posted.

On the order form Sean posted in the accessory code thread, it notes how the wheel felloes

(the outer part of the wheel) are painted, standard or optional, with or without wheel covers.

I read this that if the car came with dog dish caps (something I've never seen), the entire

wheel face would be painted, but only the felloes if the car came with wheel covers.

57_wheel_covers.jpg

Larger, from the '57 Facts Book.

57_factory_options.jpg

Larger, from the '57 Facts Book, note that wheel covers were only available for Specials as

part of the Series 40 Accessory Group "M."

Anybody ever see a '57 Special with dog dish hubcaps?

TG

Dan..Nice cars, they really look great! I have an original spare on my car, never repainted and it is totally tangerine on the front, with 3 white pin stripes on it. My car also came with full wheel covers, so I think that initially Buick might have thought that painting the felloes only with full wheel covers would be OK, but styling probably put a kabosh on that, since to the customer it probably looked like they forgot to finish painting the wheel. Just a theory, but working in the automotive industry for 16 years, it is most likely the case.

Dan..you have a veritable 1957 Buick museum there! I'd love to take a tour and get about a thousand photos. :D

I think that the coloration of the sweepspears is definitely a field repair, and I find it interesting that they don't have a PSB for the same thing for the wheels.

• 3 years later...
Guest 53 Roady

My Dad bought a 57 Special new. I later bought it from him as my first car. It was light blue with a white top and came with a blue stripe. I am certain the dealer did not change the stripe for Dad. My buddies Mom had one with a red stripe. I think the common "knowledge was that the early year models had red stripes and mid year there were blue ones offered.

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

Question: I am trying to locate sweep spears (left & right) for my 57 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon which is undergoing complete restoring now. Were the sweep spears for all 57 Buick 4-door models the same?

If anyone has a set for sale please let me know. Also looking for the 9 rear top of roof moldings which are each about 4-5 feet long.