Glitch, 26 Brakes

Guest FOlsen

I am setting up my brakes after installing new linings. The brake pedal is supposed to be connected with the clevis rod by an arm that connects to the pedal by way of a dog. (See attached photo) My question is what keeps the "dog" engaged with the dog on the pedal? Mine is floating free on the common shaft.

post-45514-143138415404_thumb.jpg

post-45514-143138415444_thumb.jpg

Hi, my '27 (9/11/26 build date) 3/4 ton truck has the same set up. It appears you are missing the cotter pin which goes thru the shaft to the right (in your pic) of the two washers which are against the clevis. Once you push the clevis(lock up the dogs) you will see the hole.Bill

Edited by Texacola (see edit history)

Ahh, Makes sense Bill, thanks I will do that. I appreciate the help. Does the shaft rotate with the pedal? Mine was loose and rotates on the shaft. In fact, the brakes on the pedal were nonexistent. But I have new shoes inside and out now.

Frank

Frank, Being pretty new to DB I had to go out to the garage and check.It would appear that the brake ,clevis and clutch pedal should all rotate on the common shaft.I steped on the brake and noticed a small amount of shaft movement (which also sightly moves the clutch pedal and vice/versa).My guess is the shaft should not move. You will notice that each unit on the shaft has a small hole (for lubrication??). Drop or two of oil in each would make each rotate free with no affect on the other.The upper shaft (clutch) should move.Hope that helps. Bill