Pawn Stars

Guest gatorcy

Guest gatorcy

Does anybody know what model car does the "old man" drive? I remember hearing what it was but I can't remember what it is. Any help would be obliged.

HE has 3 1960's luxury cars that feature prominently in the the show. There is a 1962 Cadillac that is visible in the intro., a 1965 (?) 4 door Lincoln Continental convertible that is used in the current promos, and a 1966 (?) Imperial that is very ofter the background behind him when interviewed on the show. All 3 cars have appeared sporadically in other parts of the show as well.

Just for fun, I looked up the pricing...NADA book from back then shows the Imperial Convertible started at $6,146 in 1966; a loaded one would no doubt have crested seven grand, delivered. The Rolls Royce pricing for 1966 is harder to find. Appears that just under $20,000 would get a Silver Cloud III sedan or "saloon" delivered in the U.S. Another source says $26,500 for a Mulliner-bodied drop-head coupe.

I think its more like "I walked to school 5 miles up hill both ways in 5 feet of snow" type rhetoric from an eccentric old man on TV.

He also says he never sleeps at work when he always takes his "moments"

It entertainment folks, why do we have to strip it down to the raw truth just like the Pickers who apparently go around stealing from everybody? :rolleyes:

Enjoy it for what it is or change the channel.....now where is that pie?

Guest ScottyM

I love the pawn star guys, especially their experts. I was in the market for a mini Indian bike for my kid and you could pick them up for $500 depending on the condition. Then, the Pawn Stars had a guy bring one in a rough shape with a broken frame and their restorer said that there were only 20 left in the US and a restored bike would get them $7,000. Well, the next week there were over 40 that surfaced on eBay and Craigslist for 'bargain' prices of $3,000 and up. Of course, every ad cited the episode and the claim that there were 20 in existence. I was able to reason with a decent guy in NV for mine, but some people were insistent that I pay them $3k for a bike that was pulled out of the basement with pieces missing, not running and all banged-up....because Pawn Stars said it was worth it! Since then, I've learned to take their estimated with a grain of salt. : )

Last night's Pawn Stars had an immaculate 1975 Lotus Europa, which they valued at $16K (and bought for $12K). In this case I think they gravely underestimated the value of the car. Europas are not listed in my value guides, but I haven't seen one in that level of condition available for anything below the $23K-$25K level.

Last night's Pawn Stars had an immaculate 1975 Lotus Europa, which they valued at $16K (and bought for $12K). In this case I think they gravely underestimated the value of the car. Europas are not listed in my value guides, but I haven't seen one in that level of condition available for anything below the $23K-$25K level.

And the owner had a complete spare engine and other parts that they weren't interested in at all. I'll bet another thousand would have bought the whole bunch. I enjoy the show because they always seem to be having so much fun and you see a lot of unusual "stuff". But their knowledge of cars leaves a lot to be desired.

Don

In most cases it looks to me like the experts put an accurate value on the table, then the negotiation begins. I thought it's understood a pawn shop is not a place to get top $$.

Without naming any characters on the show, I know I would not want to negotiate with some of them. All in all I'm entertained.

Guest ScottyM

I agree. Most of the experts seem legit but it seems they only bring in the experts when they really have no clue about the value. When they are knowledgeable about items they sure do lowball people. That Lotus should be on the highlight reel for lowball offers. I understand people need the money, especially with all of the temptations in Vegas, but it breaks my heart sometimes to see what these people accept for some of these items. Of course, as was mentioned earlier, if you want top dollar you don't go to the pawn shop....unless you want to PAY top dollar. :)

• 2 years later...

I think it's a 1937. It's red with black fenders. I remember the show where they bought it. You can find it online. If you should be interested in the car you can find the phone number for Gold and Silver Pawn online also. Good luck, B