1936 Chrysler Airstream C7 owners?

Guest 36airstream

Guest catzsnot

Thank you - just got it back from paint shop today - now comes the fun part of assembling everything!

• 3 weeks later...
New topic; On the 36 Airstream, the battery sits under the driver in a hole,

1. Is there a cover plate that fits over that, looks like there is supposed to be.

2. On the passenger side, there is an indentation like the battery well but not all the way thru the floor, that looks like it could be used for storage, is that what its for, or does something else fit in there. A picture of that area would be nice....

Nice to see this area of the forum growing..

hi, I have a 36 airstream sedan convertible and it's a great car. But the overdrive is noisy and I worry about it . Know of a tranny with overdrive? Or where can I find parts for it. From what I've tried they're hard to find. Otto

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jaydeesupls@aol.com

I have a right hand drive 1936 Chrysler airstream C7. I am interested in finding out the history of the car. This version has dual spare tires and appears to be in extremely good shape. I was told that it was built in Detroit and sent to South Africa as an embassy limousine car. Is there a way that I can find out if all of this is true? I can't seem to find any others like it. It is still all original with the 6 volt system.

Guest catzsnot

From what I have read, you can write the Chrysler Museum and give them the numbers off your car, the Vin and body plate numbers, and for a fee ( I don't know how much) they will give you information that they have on that car. www.wpchryslermusuem.org and go to the drop down box 'heritage' and scroll down to 'chrysler historical services'. I think that it says $25-45 to decode the car. You should be able to contact them and maybe get some helpful information.

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142713[/ATTACH] Here is my sedan. A work in progress.

Did you pick that up off craigslist in TX? last year. It looks real familiar. If so I looked into that. Nice car I just couldn't justify buying another 36 Chrysler when there were so many other cars on the one day I want to own list.

Nice score. I kind of wish I would have checked into it more. Too many cars and not enough space, that same old problem always comes up when the wife says go ahead and buy it but where are you going to put it? I hate it when she is right.

It might be, it had Texas plates but I found it in Dayton, Nevada and it had not been driven in at least 5 years. Once I saw it I could not resist even though I did not really have garage space for it either. Had it out last weekend, drove it about 40 miles no issues, temp about 170F, overdrive works great and it really gets up the hills for a 75 year old.

Guest catzsnot
It might be, it had Texas plates but I found it in Dayton, Nevada and it had not been driven in at least 5 years. Once I saw it I could not resist even though I did not really have garage space for it either. Had it out last weekend, drove it about 40 miles no issues, temp about 170F, overdrive works great and it really gets up the hills for a 75 year old.

Are you serious? Dayton, NV??? That is where we picked up ours! Thats too funny. Beautiful car though.

Are you serious? Dayton, NV??? That is where we picked up ours! Thats too funny. Beautiful car though.

Who knew Dayton was a hotbed for Airstreams. Looked over your photos and your project looks great. Where are you located? The photos remind me of California coastal mountains.

Guest catzsnot

Yes you are correct... CA bay area. Thanks - but still have a long way to go to look close to yours. I will be posting some more 'assembly' pics soon - we have made a bit of progress lately. Definitely very challenging project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Steele rubber had quite a bit of moulded rubber for 36 Chryslers when I was putting mine together. I don't have a catalog handy so I'm not sure if they have them but it's a place to start.

I have notice you have alot of knowledge on old cars so thought I would ask for some help. I need lower stainless trim for my 1936 Airstream. Trim I am looking for is the floor board passenger side. I have tried all sources and can not locate. Do you know or have your heard of anyone that can make SS trim to match original from other side. The drivers side is in fair shape and could be used as sample.

Thanks,

Guest frankb352

dont realy know of anybody that has parts for airstream.the vent window rubbers steele dont have geting some from the airflow club nice bunch of guys over there.

I have notice you have alot of knowledge on old cars so thought I would ask for some help. I need lower stainless trim for my 1936 Airstream. Trim I am looking for is the floor board passenger side. I have tried all sources and can not locate. Do you know or have your heard of anyone that can make SS trim to match original from other side. The drivers side is in fair shape and could be used as sample.

Thanks,

Are you looking for Door sill plates/moldings or are you looking for the runningboard molding?

I am looking for the molding along the edge of the running board. I have attached a photo of the drivers side.

Thanks,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]160185[/ATTACH]

I don't know of anybody reproducing them. Mine are salvageable. My car doesn't have the spears either on the bottom of the fender. Is your yellow 36 Chrysler a Phaeton/convertible sedan? Maybe they are specific to that. I just did some research and found some cars with them and some without. Maybe some factories put them on and some didn't? Just a guess. Do you have all the pieces from yours? Unless they are folded up in a ball they can be reworked and polished. They are actually a pretty simple design so you should beable to find something pretty close that will work. Do you have any pieces to compare it to?

Yes it is a convertible sedan. I have drivers side complete, passenger side missing. I will keep trying to locate or find a metal fabricator to copy sample.

Have you tried any of the advertisers in Hemmings in the Chrysler and Mopar section? I know they say they are parting out 30's and up cars. Good thing is I bet a regular sedan should be about the same. Even a rusted to death east coast car may have them since they are stainless steel.

I'll keep an eye open. If I find any I'll pass them along.

Good luck.

Guest 340duster

I'm looking for the splash shield that attaches to the passenger side front fender and the drivers side 1/4 window garnish molding for a 1936 Chrysler Airstream c-7 coupe. Thank you!

Guest Guycave

I have a 1936 Chrysler C7 businessman’s coupe. It has a 3sp overdrive trans with the markings T86-1A. I need an input shaft and a cluster gear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Hell-Driver

Hi! I just joined the forum as I came across this thread. Looks like there are a lot C-7's here. I've been finding it very difficult to find information, let alone parts for the C-7.

My story: my father purchased the car about 15 years ago with plans of putting it on the road. He hasn't done anything with the car since then. Now he is selling the farm and everything on it (including the '36). I would love to take on this project. It's a 1936 Chrysler originally owned and operated by Paul Riddell as part of the Imperial Hell Drivers stunt team. As a result, the rear end is welded, and the front grill is cracked LOL.

I have pictures on my office computer that I will post later. In the meantime, if anybody knows where to find a front grill I would really appreciate it!

helldrv_zpsbf5f3f23.jpg

This picture has been photoshopped with different rims. I will post original pictures later.

Edited by Hell-Driver (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...