1936 Chrysler Airstream C7 owners?

Guest 36airstream

Guest 36airstream

Anyone have a steering wheel like this? All the others I've seen are plain black, is it possible this is not original?

post-72519-143138615781_thumb.jpg

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

The T86A transmission and S1 engine were obviously from an Airstream.

I have drawings of these transmissions and can be contacted at johnspinks@dodo.com.au

The steering wheel is an original and is known as a banjo wheel. The outer rim is black.

Cheers

John Spinks Aussie C9 Airflow Coupe

• 1 month later...
Guest SJMcKee

Hi folks, I had asked earlier about how to bring out the wood grain in the dash, whether I need to redo it or I can buff it out. I don't know hows its applied, but here are some pictures.

Couldn't find the forum where I had asked about it, thought it was the AirStream. This is what I got

Steve

post-72604-143138652495_thumb.jpg

post-72604-143138652498_thumb.jpg

post-72604-143138652501_thumb.jpg

I would redo the woodgraining myself. I found a great source at Packards of Oregon under tech articles. It was cheap and fun and if you have any artistic talent at all, you should be able to get results you can be proud of! My 36 Dodge dash and garnish mouldings are done and I've seen better, but I'm happy and for 50 bucks in spray paint and etc, it was worth it.

I think it's past bringing back. Someone once suggested brown shoe polish I used the wax paste type on my 35 Chrysler dash. I used it and it looked better. Be it far from spectacular. There are no abbrasives in it. My roadster had been repainted at one time and that paint was peeling so I bought a kit from grainit and did mine all over. I chose an incorrect pattern and color but that's the way I wanted it.

The exception I would use to do it again would be to use a different clear coat than they recommend. I am getting bad solvent pop in my finish and will probably have to redo everything again. Not fun. I won't tell you the number of hours I had doing it the first time.

Here is mine finished.

post-43003-143138653088_thumb.jpg

post-43003-14313865309_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138653092_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138653094_thumb.jpg

Guest SJMcKee

So what is it you use to get that outcome? Is it a kit, laminate or paint? Very green on restoration.

It's beautiful. I will try the shoe polish, but like you said think it's beyond shoe polish at this point.

The Packards of Oregon didn't work, didn't see any links to other articles. Just an expose on the pictured Packard.

Guest SJMcKee

Steve9, thanks for the link, good article, and thanks to AuburnSeeker, I now have a a good grain pattern to follow....I will experiment a little and see if I can create a burl look maybe on the glove box doors.....Its all fun....

Latest update is I'm actually driving the Chrysler home this weekend, its about 6 miles from the house, replacing the fuel pump, did the trick, and it sits and idles quite nicely now. So will have some outside pictures to post next week. Then its in the barn, for tear down....

Guest SJMcKee

New topic; On the 36 Airstream, the battery sits under the driver in a hole,

1. Is there a cover plate that fits over that, looks like there is supposed to be.

2. On the passenger side, there is an indentation like the battery well but not all the way thru the floor, that looks like it could be used for storage, is that what its for, or does something else fit in there. A picture of that area would be nice....

Nice to see this area of the forum growing..

Edited by SJMcKee
additon, and remove redundancy (see edit history)

I'll try to shoot a picture of my battery area tommorrow. I'm not sure if there is a cover over the battery. Mine didn't have one. It is suppose to have a hold down of course which I added beacuse it got lost at some point. I'm not sure what the other indentation is for. It's pretty shallow for much of anything unless possibly a tool kit might have fit in there?

Glad to hear your driving yours. I'm taking mine to a show tommorrow (driving it there) only about 8 miles away but usually the entrance line takes up to 1 hour to park. 23 years and they still don't know how to park cars. There are about 1500 cars preregistered. Lets hope it stays cool. It's been good so far but this will be the test. It's a hot rod show so I will have one of the few stockers but that's the way I like them. I somehow lost my taste for most hotrods!!!

Grainit has a website with video on woodgraining.

Too bad you weren't closer. If you did all the prep work I would grainit for you. Actually doing the graining doesn't take all that long. You could do it all in a couple 1/2 days. it's the blasting, Priming, base coat, Clear coat and buff that take alot of time.

Well here it is, drove it onto the trailer, finally got it home. Now that I have it home, will start looking for parts to stock. Right now looking for a headlight lens, and the covers for the horns. If someone has a picture of what they look like, could you post it. So I know what I'm looking for....

How does one determine what the correct body color is. The vehicle plate doesn't give much information. Definetly not going to stay this color.

Thanks, :D

post-72604-143138659998_thumb.jpg

post-72604-143138660002_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good base. I actually don't think the color is too bad. I thought I added the battery tray photos a couple of days ago but I see it isn't here. I have seen an NOS pair of horn covers show up about once a year on ebay. I bought one set. They were 300.00 but the chrome was real nice. If you get far enough along, and still don't find horn covers, let me know. I have the used ones off my car. I just haven't decided wether to turn them loose or keep them just in case. Excuse the dust. There seems to be alot falling out of the seat cushion.

My guess is the recess may have been for a tool kit?

post-43003-143138660371_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138660374_thumb.jpg

Ok, Thanks, and I will definitely keep your spares in the back of my mind if I run into dead ends.

It will be a couple of year project. So I have time. The indent on the right in my car has the carpet extended into it. Oh well, it will make a good stash whatever spot, maybe the service manuals for my little trips I will be taking....Thanks. 8-)

The sedan and Roadster may have a different seat frame style. I'm not sure but there always seemed to be differences.

Isn't there a raised "subframe" under the convertibles and roadsters on the Airstream? I seem to remember my friend Russell Parker who owned a convertible sedan and convertible coupe Airstream saying that to me.

The sedan and Roadster may have a different seat frame style. I'm not sure but there always seemed to be differences.

The seat frame shown here looks exactly like my 4dr closed car.

My 2 dr coupe has a much different seat made all out of woods.

Eric

Isn't there a raised "subframe" under the convertibles and roadsters on the Airstream? I seem to remember my friend Russell Parker who owned a convertible sedan and convertible coupe Airstream saying that to me.

Yes converts had a very unusual rasied frame on top of the existing

frame. I've seen this in many cars even to day. Honestly I don't

like it one bit, but I guess this is what they felt they had to do.

Eric

Well here it is, drove it onto the trailer, finally got it home. Now that I have it home, will start looking for parts to stock. Right now looking for a headlight lens, and the covers for the horns. If someone has a picture of what they look like, could you post it. So I know what I'm looking for....

How does one determine what the correct body color is. The vehicle plate doesn't give much information. Definetly not going to stay this color.

Thanks, :D

I may have both the lens and the horn covers you need. I would have

to look at my stock to see what is left. As for the color, I think it may be

fairly close to an original color. MY 4 dr. car was originally green. Way

to faded to tell . See the attached pictures and see what you think...

ERic

post-50229-143138661055_thumb.jpg

post-50229-143138661066_thumb.jpg

I may have both the lens and the horn covers you need. I would have

to look at my stock to see what is left. As for the color, I think it may be

fairly close to an original color. MY 4 dr. car was originally green. Way

to faded to tell . See the attached pictures and see what you think...

ERic

Hi Eric, ya its pretty close, so I imagine that's and original color, but I still don't like it. So it will change. The wife is looking at a pale green/mustard blend color, with the off white upholstery color thats in it now....except redone. We have a Plymouth in the group here with it, and its pretty sharp.

It would be great if you have those parts. thanks.:D

SJMcKee said:
Hi Eric, ya its pretty close, so I imagine that's and original color, but I still don't like it. So it will change. The wife is looking at a pale green/mustard blend color, with the off white upholstery color thats in it now....except redone. We have a Plymouth in the group here with it, and its pretty sharp.

It would be great if you have those parts. thanks.:D

Edited by VW4X4 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, a little help here, I found this pull tab at the bottom of the front seat, on the transmission hump, any idea what its for? I thought maybe the release for the bottom cushion on the front seat, but couldn't see how it would operate it.

Maybe it the release for the moonshine load they put in the trunk :D

Any ideas'

post-72604-143138670016_thumb.jpg

Just make sure that Shine tank is empty because as good as that little six runs it will still have a hard time escaping the revenuers:D

Maybe that's what mine was used for. It did have a bunch of spent 38 shells and even a few shotgun cartridges under the seat when I cleaned it out. Still doesn't explain the outy bullet hole/mark in the sheetmetal inner frame of the rumble lid. Accident or somebody wasn't well liked?:eek:

It's probably just the release for the seat adjuster to go forward and back. Thaty's what the one in my car is for but it looks a little different.

Ok, a little help here, I found this pull tab at the bottom of the front seat, on the transmission hump, any idea what its for? I thought maybe the release for the bottom cushion on the front seat, but couldn't see how it would operate it.

Maybe it the release for the moonshine load they put in the trunk :D

Any ideas'

Steve,

That is the seat adjustment. If you can get underneath you'll see two

rods that run to each side, and pull on the track locks.

Eric

Ok, here's a question to ponder, when talking about al-natural, the picture of my Chrysler on this site shows something in pretty decent shape. It runs well. Needs tires, the back seat side panels are kind of crusty from water leaks, but interior is intact. But for now I'm thinking of driving it to some local shows as is. Question is that acceptable in the hobby. I know I can do what I want, but I've seen and read topics of people that express to keep it as original as possible. Two ways, to do that, the old car that's been kept in a vacuum sealed chamber all these years and looks as it came off the showroom floor yesterday, or a car pulled out a silent 25year sleep in a barn, dusted it off and you got what you got, and it runs.

Thoughts ???

This is my thought till I've collected enough stuff and cash to start the body off restoration. Of which most I will do myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I would just service it get it up and running and enjoy it. You will find as many people or more look at it and appreciate it as is. MY car is far from perfect and really needs paint. I have as much fun with it as is or more than I would if it was restored. Besides when is the last time you even saw a 1936 Chrysler at a car show.

It will also give you a chance to get the mechanicals 100 percent sorted out.

Guest SJMcKee
I would just service it get it up and running and enjoy it. You will find as many people or more look at it and appreciate it as is. MY car is far from perfect and really needs paint. I have as much fun with it as is or more than I would if it was restored. Besides when is the last time you even saw a 1936 Chrysler at a car show.

It will also give you a chance to get the mechanicals 100 percent sorted out.

Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking along those lines for awhile, it has some issues that I need to resolve, but nothing major, I plan on pulling the radiator and having it boiled and checked out, already did the gas tank. and then put some new brakes on it. But yea, think it would be fun to see some reaction to the out of the barn look. We have a monthly car show here in Colorado Springs, on the 1st Sat, May - Oct. So as long as its running might as well enjoy it till I get all the bugs identified and get coin set aside to restore it.

:)

Guest SJMcKee

OBTW, still looking for a starter relay for that, the one i got in it is pretty sick, but it does manage to start the car with a little coaxing. Any ideas, I've looked all over the web, and its not there. Does the Dodge, Plymouth use the same one ???

As far as I know the electrical part of the starter is all Chrysler Only. I think it's up until 1941 but would have to double check. There has to be one out there. What about having your solenoid (i believe that's what you thought was wrong ) rebuilt at an electrical shop. It might be alot cheaper and then you would know it's good. A used one is a crap shoot.

• 2 months later...
Guest 340duster

I stumbled across this site while trying to find parts for an Airstream. I purchased a 1936 Chrysler Airstream C7 coupe in February. It's rough to say the least. I have been trying to find a few parts while trying to get a title. Someone had sandblasted and primered the body without removing the VIN plates, therefor erasing the VIN # completely. I found a set of numbers on the frame starting with a C7, but North Carolina will not use those #'s. They have said they can issue me a NC VIN # and it will still say 1936 Chrysler Airstream on the title. What a mess. :mad:

Some of the parts I'm looking for include: hood emblem, passenger window garnish molding (I'm told a '36 sedan front door garnish without vent window will work), driver's side 1/4 window garnish molding, 2 glove box doors with hinge, wiper pivots and linkage, and a medal top insert. I'm assuming the windshield is held in by a garnish molding. If so, I need that too. Does anyone make patch panels for these cars? I bought a set of 1/4 panel patches.

I have a set of 4 rust free fenders for a '35 Airstream with the original paint on them if anyone is interested. Also have the chrome headlights and stands. All are in beautiful shape! Thanks for any and all help!

Guest SJMcKee

Hi, Duster,

I've had my 36 sedan since my first posting on this site, (earlier this year), parts are somewhat hard to find, the guys on this site might be able to point you to some parts, I found my headlight lenses (2 of them) but only one survived the mailing, so its risky.

How about some pictures of your's. Mine is the green one.

I found out that back in those days, there was no vin plate, the Vin was developed off the Engine serial number. That's how my title is written.

Hi, Duster,

I've had my 36 sedan since my first posting on this site, (earlier this year), parts are somewhat hard to find, the guys on this site might be able to point you to some parts, I found my headlight lenses (2 of them) but only one survived the mailing, so its risky.

How about some pictures of your's. Mine is the green one.

I found out that back in those days, there was no vin plate, the Vin was developed off the Engine serial number. That's how my title is written.

There WAS a vin plate on the passenger side door post "in those days". They did use the engine number a lot to register the cars by.

Guest 340duster

The original engine is long gone. The number they gave me will work, just have to get it bonded through an insurance company before they will give me a title. At least it will say 1936 Chrysler Airstream on the title!

I posted a few pictures in my album, not sure how to attach them to a message though....

• 1 month later...

I have a 36' Airstream 4 door convert that I am restoring and would like to get information on the hood attachment. A photo or diagram of how it goes on and stays in place while driving. I currently have only edge attachments and no rods. It this correct for the period?

Thanks

Guest 340duster

Beautiful car! How much are you looking to get for it?

Does anyone have any Airstream parts for sale? VW4X4 said he had a hood ornament, but I can't get in touch with him. I e-mailed him a month ago, but no response. Maybe it didn't go through...... Are you out there VW4X4? lol! I've found a few parts on ebay, but that's it. That's the downside to owning something rare.......

• 3 months later...
Guest catzsnot

Hello all - new to the site. Restoring a 36 c7 Airstream and I am definitely sure that this site will be invaluable. So very few of these cars out there for sure. Posting some pictures if you would like to look. I am sure I will have many questions :). Great site!Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Hope I did that link right. BTW this car was in boxes when we got it so any kind of info would be great as we are basically 'winging it'. Thanks!