1936 Chrysler Airstream C7 owners?

Guest 36airstream

I took my 1936 out last weekend and for the second time the gear shift shaft broke off leaving me in 2nd. Has anyone else had this issue and how was it resolved. The metal at the bottom of shifter seems very thin and can not handle the torgue of the long handle.

I haven't ever seen this one ..... I musthave 8 or 9 of these transmission

and not a single shift level is broke...

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to everyone... Im brand new in this subject.. im from mexico, and i received a pretty well preserved Airstream C7 4 DR.. as a gift... one a crazy old guy was going to dump it to the trash and i decided to fix it... it is in pretty good shape.... only some parts missing and i want to know if u guys can help me... I´m missing the co pilot door.... someone stole it from this old guy.. also i need the speedometer, and the taps that go in the dash board.... and the center of the steering wheel.. I know its hard to get all this stuff.. but as for the rest i have almost everything.. also i need an advise.. the radiator I have the mechanic says it doesn't work... and that to build a new one 4 cells same shape its 400 dls.. is that a good price?? thanks in advance for the hints..!!! here is a pic of my new c7 post-97567-14314226998_thumb.jpg .... i KNOW IT DOESNT LOOK THAT GOOD .. BUT NO RUST.. AL THE INTERIORS WELL PRESERVED.. AL THE GLASS.. HANDLES, AND ALL THE MOULDINGS.... THE BEST PART THE ENGINE IT UP AND RUNNING..!! THANKS AGAIN..!!!

Hey Ferko,

Are you sure you need a radiator? These DO NOT hold pressure. A lot a mechanics today do not

understand this. As for those other parts, your in luck. Most of what you mention are still around

hear or there. Mostly on Ebay, etc.

ERic

Hi to everyone... Im brand new in this subject.. im from mexico, and i received a pretty well preserved Airstream C7 4 DR.. as a gift... one a crazy old guy was going to dump it to the trash and i decided to fix it... it is in pretty good shape.... only some parts missing and i want to know if u guys can help me... I´m missing the co pilot door.... someone stole it from this old guy.. also i need the speedometer, and the taps that go in the dash board.... and the center of the steering wheel.. I know its hard to get all this stuff.. but as for the rest i have almost everything.. also i need an advise.. the radiator I have the mechanic says it doesn't work... and that to build a new one 4 cells same shape its 400 dls.. is that a good price?? thanks in advance for the hints..!!! here is a pic of my new c7 [ATTACH=CONFIG]222333[/ATTACH] .... i KNOW IT DOESNT LOOK THAT GOOD .. BUT NO RUST.. AL THE INTERIORS WELL PRESERVED.. AL THE GLASS.. HANDLES, AND ALL THE MOULDINGS.... THE BEST PART THE ENGINE IT UP AND RUNNING..!! THANKS AGAIN..!!!

thanks for the hint..!!! yeap.. i found one old guy that will fix it for 100 bucks..... what i cant find is the passenger door.... right front one... any idea where i cna find it?? thanks.!!1

There are two large wrecking yards out west. One is called Moores one is Called Freeman's. I believe they have alot of cars and they are in decent climates so the parts shouldn't be rusted to death. My friends bought parts from them and were happy with what they received and they felt the price was fair. They ship big parts as well so that's helpful. An internet search should get you their contact information. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
I might know where you can get a speedometer - let me check...

Thanks that would be really helpful.!!!! Im still looking fo the door.. they have it in a yunkyard.. but they ask 600 for it... do u think thats a good price¡??

Guest catzsnot
Thanks that would be really helpful.!!!! Im still looking fo the door.. they have it in a yunkyard.. but they ask 600 for it... do u think thats a good price¡??

Maybe a little high - is that in Mexico or somewhere else? If it has any hardware with it and is kind of in decent shape... workable I guess. Not too many around. Still checking on that speedo for you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest catzsnot
Maybe a little high - is that in Mexico or somewhere else? If it has any hardware with it and is kind of in decent shape... workable I guess. Not too many around. Still checking on that speedo for you.

Can't seem to get ahold of the person with the speedo, but I will keep trying for you. Merry Christmas all!

• 3 weeks later...
Can't seem to get ahold of the person with the speedo, but I will keep trying for you. Merry Christmas all!

Thanks.!!! happy new year to u all..!!! hope that u can get it.!! Thanks again for ur help.!!!

Auburnseeker:

Any advice on the unique side window arrangements on C7 coupes? I'm speaking of the interacting vent and side window panels. The vent window when locked goes up and down with the full window glass....when it is unlocked, it remains stationary while the full pane goes up and down.

I'm thinking that I may have some parts missing but have been unable to find an assembly drawing of the set up in any of the manuals I have. Any suggestions?

Williegeno

I'm not familiar with the vent window assemblies as the roadster doesn't have them. That seems to be the only significant difference in styling is the cowl windshield area. All the closed cars had vent windows and a split Vee'd windshield while the open cars had a flat windshield and no vent windows.

My avitar is a picture of my Roadster. Yes it's the one I'm thinking of selling.

My coupe has them and I may end up eliminating the vent window assemblies although I hate to do that because they are one of the truly unique systems of the C7. So unique it seems that even the manufacturer didn't take the time to properly document them.

I trust that you received my response and assume your non reply indicates that we are now in the past tense on the issue. I honestly hoped that would not be the case for although I always enjoy the Mecum, I also hate the drive at this time of year. The winter weather in the north has driven all the snowbirds down here and I-75 and I-4 traffic reminds me of the 4th of July weekend drives north that I used to make in Michigan.

Good luck on your continuing efforts.

williegeno

I hope you understand. It's a tough decision. If I hold onto the car for a few months, not a problem since it's in a heated garage out of the way I stand to get closer to my bottom line price. Especially since I haven't really marketed it yet. It's enough of a difference to make me want to gamble to try to get a little more. With such short time for you to make a decision it's probably better for you as well. I want the buyer to be sure of everything they are getting and the cars exact condition. I really would like the buyer to look at the car if possible,(I know that's not always possible) Hear it run, just so they know exactly how nice stuff is and exactly what shape the paint and other components I didn't work on are. That way they will know what they can live with and what they think needs to be brought up to snuff. I bought my last 3 cars without personally inspecting them. 2 Ended up being really good, One I would have left where it was and none of them were under 20G. Infact 2 were a far bit more. Thankfully the worst one was the cheapest. I had all 3 inspected. 2 by friends and one by a company. I have mixed feelings on the one friend and the company. The other Friend who knows very little about cars did a great job.

If you don't find what you are looking for at Mecum, remember the Chrysler is still for sale. Maybe in about a month I'll get more serious and begin to actively market it. I just threw out the local listing one day incase someone in the area had some interest. It's always easier to do a local transaction than long distance. Remember don't buy a car just because you are there, buy it because it's what you want. Good luck, Randy

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

• 8 months later...

hi to everyone, i need some help... some technicals problms assambleing my car, first does anyone of u guys can send me a phot of ur headlightmounts... it is the only part missing to finnish my restoration, i found these on ebay "http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage1936-1938-Chrysler-Imperial-4-Door-Sedan-R-L-Headlights-Mounts-/311114462582?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item486fddf576&vxp=mtr" but they dont seemed like the ones I had found before.... does anyone have and extra pair or someone knows someone that have them... and another problem.. I new on restoration of these old cars, as for the hood... i have some pics but I dont know how it is hold?? some of them have like a large piece to hold the front. Can some one help me with these matter.? Thanks

hi to everyone, i need some help... some technicals problms assambleing my car, first does anyone of u guys can send me a phot of ur headlightmounts... it is the only part missing to finnish my restoration, i found these on ebay "http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage1936-1938-Chrysler-Imperial-4-Door-Sedan-R-L-Headlights-Mounts-/311114462582?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item486fddf576&vxp=mtr" but they dont seemed like the ones I had found before.... does anyone have and extra pair or someone knows someone that have them... and another problem.. I new on restoration of these old cars, as for the hood... i have some pics but I dont know how it is hold?? some of them have like a large piece to hold the front. Can some one help me with these matter.? Thanks

I would start a new thread about what you need as your post may get lost in this thread.

Here is a pictures you request. for some reason none of the others will unpload...

I believe this is an extra part I have if interested.

I may have the other side, but I can not located it at this time.

post-50229-143142790804_thumb.jpg

Edited by VW4X4 (see edit history)

Here is a pictures you request. for some reason none of the others will unpload...

Tha is exactly what Im looking for... do u have the pair? how much for the 2 of them.!!?? Thank U very much.!!

• 1 month later...

Is there any chance that u search for the piece? im still interested I already send u a Pmessage.!

Thnks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi again toall.!! Im in the last steps of finishing my car, I just need somo directions.. Im trying to put the hood in place... but I cant find the way to attach on the rear part... Im searching for some pics on the web but I cant find any.... can some of you guys uploaud some pics of how is the hood attached to the body.!!1 thanks

Hi again toall.!! Im in the last steps of finishing my car, I just need somo directions.. Im trying to put the hood in place... but I cant find the way to attach on the rear part... Im searching for some pics on the web but I cant find any.... can some of you guys uploaud some pics of how is the hood attached to the body.!!1 thanks

Here's a better shot of what they look like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1936-Plymouth-Dodge-Chrysler-DeSoto-Hood-HINGE-ENDS-NOS-MoPar-Chryco-PAIR-F-R-/361191161796?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5418abbfc4&vxp=mtr

Might want to check with this guy. It looks like he could make you a set out of SS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1930s-DODGE-HOOD-HINGE-L-R-PIVOTS-DPCD-STAINLESS-STEEL-MIRROR-SHINE-TRUCK-/271771841811?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f46dd3513&vxp=mtr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello, I'm new to the forum, I have a 1936 chrysler airstream c7 and curious if anyone has pics of theirs? Also looking for parts like hubcaps and possibly a 3 speed trans? The transmission I have has overdrive, but sat out in the weather for 20 years, dont know if its rebuildable. Any comments appreciated!

Hi my36 airstream has an overdrive but it has problems. Is yours working? Know anybody that can fix them? Or what other tranny's would work. Otto

Guest catzsnot

Do you have pics of what the running board trim looks like? I think that is what we are missing on ours.

• 5 months later...

I have a 36 C7 convertible sedan, drive it about 5000miles a year..  I have 3 tranny's with overdrive I'd like to sell.  They all have problems, won't stay in direct drive and if your're coming down a mt. freewheeling it can be hairy. I couldn't find anybody to fix them.  After spending thousands I finally gave up and went to a T5 mated to a chevy S10 and it works great. Contact me if you want to know more. .  Otto

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Otto,

Are the transmission labeled T85?

If so how much do you want for them?

I can repair these transmissions

Cheers

John Spinks

Aussie C9 Airflow Coupe

• 6 months later...

Just a little update on my 36 convertible sedan.  Couldn't get my 3 speed with overdrive fixed, and I spent probably 4 grand, nobody knows how and there are no books on it and no parts. So I finally put a ford T5 mated to a chevy S10  tranny. Now I have 5 speeds.  Am happy with the results

On 10/24/2015 at 4:13 PM, otto said:

I have a 36 C7 convertible sedan, drive it about 5000miles a year..  I have 3 tranny's with overdrive I'd like to sell.  They all have problems, won't stay in direct drive and if your're coming down a mt. freewheeling it can be hairy. I couldn't find anybody to fix them.  After spending thousands I finally gave up and went to a T5 mated to a chevy S10 and it works great. Contact me if you want to know more. .  Otto

That is why freewheeling was outlawed in some states.

• 2 years later...

Hi my name is Mark and I am new to this, I have a 1936 Chrysler airstream  (it can be seen on you tube site 1936 Chrysler blue at Old town). I know allot about this car, and I am willing to share and trade information. I also have several other cars  1927 Nash , 1936 Pontiac  1957 Metropolitan (parts car)  1960 Metropolitan, and several AMC concords. I a m always seeking information tech information and tips, also I will share my knowledge with anyone who seeks it.my email is Foxtail36Pont@yahoo.com However I prefer contact by phone. 407-390-3710

Edited by car fox
I would like to converse with you folks (see edit history)

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2014 at 1:22 PM, ferko said:

Seek a gentleman named

Donald Axelrod in Massachusetts, if anyone knows headlights he does

I have read horror stories of people trying to remove the headlight lens and the chrome ring around it from a Chrysler, Nash, or Studebaker with disasterous results call me Mark (aka foxtail) I can help with this and many questions regarding these cars phone 407-390-9710 or 407-495-8169

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2011 at 7:34 PM, SJMcKee said:

P.S.

When I get it home I will take a lot of before pictures and post, and then keep the progress going.

Still learning how to work this, I think I blog'd Kaiser31, right now the

only part I see I need is a new Lense for the right headlamp. Sure I will

need more as time goes on. Steve

For headlights or lenses seek a gentle man named Donald Axelrod in Massachusetts, he is the headlight man