1928 Chrysler 72 - Engine & Title Number

I purchased a couple years ago, a 1928 Chrysler Model 72, Sport Roadster, half restored, and the FEDCO number is CC429R which falls into the correct sequential numbers for a Model 72. From my research the engine number for a Model 72 should start with 'J'. My engine number is H744294, with a red head number 74703_2. The engine number does have smaller letters near it of 3_27, assuming that is the production date for the engine. I would first like to know, am I correct on my research, and the first letter in the engine number 'H' correlates with a 1927 Model 60 engine?ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

<O:p> </O:p>

I also thought the engine or FEDCO number was commonly used for the VIN number. I live in PA and on my title the VIN number is E2273763, which is too may numbers for an engine number, any clue on what E2273763 would stand for? That number, does not appear anywhere on the car, to my knowledge. On the original PA registration, from the gentleman I purchased it from, which I have a copy of, it had two numbers the E2273763 and CC429R, but on my current PA registration, it only shows the E2273763 as the VIN number. From studying the original title he had from 1959, it appears the CC429R was listed as the Manufacturing No, and the E2273763 was listed as the title number. It appears someone in ffice:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:City w:st=<ST1:place w:st="on">Harrisburg</ST1:place></st1:City> at the Department of Transportation, messed things up. How do I go about getting this corrected on my title? Also, to add to it all, on my title it is listed as a <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:place w:st="on">Sedan</ST1:place></st1:City> for Body Type, but on the original from 1959, it is listed as a Roadster for Body Type. How much trouble am I going to have getting this information corrected?

I searched through all the threads and could not find any information pertaining to the questions I am posing. So, if there is a similar posting please let me know because I try not to duplicate similar threads. So any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Kyle

What I did with my 1929 Chrysler '75' roadster in order to title it was to trailer the vehicle to the DMV with all of the paperwork. I showed the clerk the FEDCO number and they titled it to that number. Show the clerk the car's FEDCO number and the paperwork with that number on it and explain your theory about the numbers being subtracted from the earlier registration/title. My Chrysler book shows the 1927 Model '60' engine numbers going from H-21001 to H-72800.

Guest f-aschwanden

Hello Kyle

The mentioned engine-number H74429 is the casting-number of the engine block and is on mine cars located between the oil filler body and the oil level indicator above the oil pan.

The correct engine-number is normally stamped on a machined area on the left side of the engine block just above the (front) water jacket cover between number 1 and 2 cylinder.

I have the same casting-number on the red-heads.

Wish you all the best to keep the baby rolling!

Best regards

Felix

DMVs can be a bear to work with when it comes to mistakes. Like John said, trailer it to the closest DMV and hope for the best.

If that doesnt work go to another one and then another until you get the agent that will help you.

These are government empolyees that go by the book, so you have to find one that is sympathetic.

Thanks for everyone's help. As for an update, I did go to the DMV, and after spending about an hour there with the lady, I went home with a freshly, printed and corrected, title. The lady did have to go and speak with, I assume, her boss, which took approximately 20 minutes of me waiting, but when she did return, she said it was clearly the DMV's mistake, apologized, and said they would correct it then and there. They didn't charge me and I was actually surprised on how well everything went. It did definitely help having a copy of the old title and a picture of the FEDCO tag.

Now for the engine number dilemma. I do feel like an idiot, and should have realized the casting numbers coming out from the metal and not being stamped or etched should have been a dead give away they were not the engine number. However, I have attached some pictures of the left side of the engine between 1 and 2 cylinders, and there is no engine number. Can anyone see something, I may be missing? Could there be that much paint in that location that it was painted over?</O:p

post-72503-143138394551_thumb.jpg

post-72503-143138394556_thumb.jpg

post-72503-143138394561_thumb.jpg

post-72503-143138394565_thumb.jpg

Guest f-aschwanden

Hello Kyle

Was yesterday in the garage and made pictures from one of my engines. Hope it helps you to find the number.

Best regards

Felix

post-56019-14313840512_thumb.jpg

post-56019-143138405152_thumb.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help. As for an update, I did go to the DMV, and after spending about an hour there with the lady, I went home with a freshly, printed and corrected, title. The lady did have to go and speak with, I assume, her boss, which took approximately 20 minutes of me waiting, but when she did return, she said it was clearly the DMV's mistake, apologized, and said they would correct it then and there. They didn't charge me and I was actually surprised on how well everything went. It did definitely help having a copy of the old title and a picture of the FEDCO tag.

Now for the engine number dilemma. I do feel like an idiot, and should have realized the casting numbers coming out from the metal and not being stamped or etched should have been a dead give away they were not the engine number. However, I have attached some pictures of the left side of the engine between 1 and 2 cylinders, and there is no engine number. Can anyone see something, I may be missing? Could there be that much paint in that location that it was painted over?:P

Looks like you have enough paint covering it so as not to be able to see the number. Lightly, strip the paint just above the side cover plate and it should be there.

It looks like you have a mid production 1928 Model 72.

Engine numbers started with J192950 ended with J242900

Serial numbers CW000P -CR838L.

I think that you identified the wrong engine. We pretty much know what the numbered engine is. It's the one with too much paint that we cannot i.d.

• 3 months later...
Guest dietrich

Could anyone tell me how you identify a model 72 Chrysler RED HEAD? all it has on it is the casting number 74703-2 cheers Ian

Guest billnoon

I just purchased yesterday and took delivery of the old Roland Funk 1928 72 Roadster. I also have a 1929 75 Roadster in our shop for race and touring preparation. Both of these have the "red head" and they actually have a casting in them that simply says "RED HEAD." There are also some casting numbers as well.

This is my first post... likely to be many more to follow. I have my engine number which is how the car is titled and registered here in California. I also have deciphered my FEDCO Number (what the heck does FEDCO stand for???) and today I opened up the golf door and fount a small metal tag attached to the wood. Here is what I have found so far on my car:

Year 1928

Make Chrysler

Model 72

Type Sports Roadster

FEDCO No. "CC HHH ONE FOUR FIVE CCC" or "C H ONE FOUR FIVE C" = 23,1452

Engine No. "J225128"

Inside Golf Door Tag (body number?) No. "R- 4538 -J"

Engine Date "A1 . 2 . 8" (January 2, 1928)

Mileage 4,282 (indicated)

Registration "SNU 651"

Ignition Delco Remy 659B 12400

Carburetor Carter BB-1 Model 288cD

Starter Auto-Lite

Anyone know if the tag inside the golf door is some sort of body tag? Anyone know what the number mean or how to decode them?

Who made the bodies of these car's for Chrysler? Anyone who needs any reference photos or additional information from me is welcome to contact me at anytime.

Cheers,

Bill Noon

Guest billnoon

Happy to post photos of both the 72 and 75. Can anyone help with my questions about the numbered metal tag just inside the golf door? Is this some sort of body number? Who built the bodies of these roadsters for Chrysler?

Many thanks,

Bill Noon

Guest 1929model75

Hello Bill I have a tag on my 75 inside the passenger door on mine I will post a pic tomarrow I myself am curious what the number is

I will do the same. Do you know which coachbuilder made the roadster bodies for Chrysler?

Cheers,

Bill

I know that Fisher did in 1926. They probably continued through 1928. Not certain.

Guest f-aschwanden

I own a 1928 Chrysler 72 Sport Roadster. Fedco CC554D with engine J-220078. My body-plate-number is R-3566-J on the same place on ground of the Golf-door. It was produced in January 1928.

I think, the body of the Sport Roadster was made by the Chrysler Body-Factory at Jefferson Avenue in Detroit (former American Motor Body Company, Chrysler purchased it in septembre 1925).

R is for Roadster?

J is in the Chrysler Master Parts List the Model Code for Chrysler 72.

On my Royal Sedan and on the Two-Passenger Coupe are Fisher-Body-Plates on front of cowl. Royal Sedan Job-No. 7860 and Coupe Job-No. 7880.

There have been two types of Roadsters for Chrysler 72: A standard Roadster and a Sport Roadster. The Sport Roadster was introduced later together with the Town Sedan.

Have the standard Roadsters a tag on the same place?

post-56019-143138514034_thumb.jpg

post-56019-143138514056_thumb.jpg

Guest billnoon

Fascinating and very informative Mr. f-aschwanden,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such details. My tag in position and configuration. I will be posting some photos later today. The previous two owner's identified the car as a "Sport Roadster" but I did not understand the differences until I saw the photos you posted.

I will also look today at the 75 Roadster in our shop to see if it too has such a tag.

Another question if I may, how did you determine your car was built in January of 1928? From the chassis, engine and body number, it would appear my car was built later but I do not know how to determine when.

Warm regards,

Bill Noon

Guest f-aschwanden

Hello Bill

I found a list regarding Chrysler manufacturing datas in a old NADA Used Car Guide from 1934. They refer to the first 3 digits of the FEDCO numbers.

Best regards

Felix Aschwanden

post-56019-143138514142_thumb.jpg

Guest billnoon

Good evening Felix,

I have just returned from my shop. Many thanks for the table of production dates. This would leave me to believe that my car was built in the latter half of February 1928. Most kind of you to share such details.

I took some additional photos of my own 72 Roadster and the 75 Roadster in our shop that we are working and and will post them shortly.

Anyone wishing to contact me directly by email or phone is welcome to do so at bnoon@symbolicmotors.com or in the States at 619 840 7811.

Cheers,

Bill

Guest billnoon

Hope I am doing this right! If it works, there should be a recent photo of the car taken on the day I agreed to purchase it last week as well as shots of the engine, engine number, FEDCO plate and body plate as well as a shot of the car as found in a junk yard circa 1960 where it has sat since 1940 when it was taken off the road. The other black and white shot is the car shortly after being restored by Roland Funk. He showed the car in 1966 at the AACA National Meet and received a Senior Division National 1st Place Overall award for the car.

Cheers,

Bill

post-74999-143138514446_thumb.jpg

post-74999-143138514451_thumb.jpg

post-74999-143138514483_thumb.jpg

post-74999-143138514486_thumb.jpg

post-74999-143138514529_thumb.jpg

post-74999-143138514566_thumb.jpg

post-74999-143138514571_thumb.jpg

Guest billnoon

The 75 Roadster we are working on has FEDCO No. "CY 057 L" with engine No. "250162" and body No. "R- 238 -R." Attached are a few photos taken last year before the car came to us.

Cheers,

Bill

post-74999-14313851462_thumb.jpg

post-74999-143138514625_thumb.jpg

post-74999-143138514629_thumb.jpg

Edited by billnoon (see edit history)

Guest f-aschwanden

Hello Bill

Yours must be one of the very early "75" Roadsters.

Fedco starts with CY050P and engine-numbers with R250001. This is also mentioned in the NADA Guide: Approx. Date of Manufacturing June 1928.

As by other manufacturers, where production of engine, body and frame was on diffrerent places, the numbers in the cars are mostly not in the sequentially correct manner.

start Fedco CY050P = 250501 numeral; yours CY057L = 250577 numeral

start engine = 250001; yours 250162

start body (mentioned) R-001-R, yours R-238-R

Best regards

Felix Aschwanden

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful cars! My Model 72 was a street rod when I bought it so I'm doing sort of a resto rod deal on it. Want to keep the body appearance basicly stock. Do any of you have spare top hold downs for the Model 72? Or do you know what years will fit? I have the top irons but cannot locate any hold downs.

post-64326-143138532699_thumb.jpg

Edited by 3Eagles (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

I am looking to purchase a 1927 Chrysler Business Coupe. I want to confirm VIN numbers to make sure it is correct. The California Pink shows a VIN of M101499, the plate on the dash ays CCC802000 or CCC802DDD. We could not fin any othernumbers on the car or engine. The vehicle isin very good condition and looks to be original, bu I want to make sure before I purchae. It still has the black california plates on it, but has no been registered for many years.

Is there a plate rivited on the firewall or someplace? A lot of people did not know about the Id numbers on the dash plaque. Its possible they assigned the VIN for registration purposes. I would think the DMV could figure it out by the numbers and registration history. You probably want to straighten that out before you buy otherwise later registration could be a serious problem. Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rbardin

From the engine photo posted by billnoon of the "75" Roadster looks like a "Kingston Vacuum Fuel system" is being used. Kind of a rare part. Very nice Roadster.

• 11 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You guys know you can get a complete factory build card from the Chrysler historical society with all of the #s for your car body, engine,vin paint color etc.etc. It tells you where the car was sent from the factory in my case my 1930 cj was sent to a San Francisco dealer straight from Detroit and probably never left California after that because I found it in northern California in it's original rust free condition...gotta love California cars..anyway I posted a link to to their email and address for contact..be patient it took a few months to get it..danielle.szostak@stellantis.com Screenshot_20221119-194805.png.5655e25cebf3899715dfbd0df7b57aea.pngScreenshot_20221119-195042.png.343879f2143ce619a74bc8ea7b24fcbf.png