55 Park Brake Cable

Mudbone

I am installing the park brake cable on my 55. Is there supposed to be a rubber grommet on both of the retainers on the rear axle? Am I missing anything else? There were no grommets at all when I took it apart so I assume they were missing. Do I need anything else except a retaining clip where is passes through the front retainer? Thanks, Mud

post-50945-143138387289_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138387307_thumb.jpg

Hey Ken,

Here is a pic of mine.

There is a rubber grommet of some sort on the rear side, then a small washer. The spring holds these to the center mount with a clip on the rearward side of the assembly. My clip was mangled beyond repair, so I used a 1/2" E-clip instead. I couldn't find a source for the rubber grommet at this point, but the grommet that the cable passes through on the torque tube is listed in the Bob's catalog as:

part number CB388- parking brake cable support grommet.

post-32260-143138387381_thumb.jpg

I also ordered the grommet that the cable passes through the frame from Steele. Since I didn't disassemble my cable, I cut the top and shoved it in place around the preinstalled cable. If you don't have the grommet at the torque tube, every time you hit a bump you will here the clang of the cable hitting the tube...

I do have the grommet that I got from Bob’s. So it goes into the hole near the front of the car where the cable housing is inserted. I then need a small spring and a clip to hold it in place. So do I need a grommet for the rear hole? I think the same grommet would fit. Thanks, Mud

Yes in the torque tube. That was the Bobs number I gave.

At the front the order is cable assembly, mounting bracket, rubber, small "fender washer" that slides over the "nipple" of the cable assembly, spring, 1/2" e-clip (or Buick equivalent). Getting the clip on is a bit tricky since you have to compress the spring.

It is conceivable you could pull the grommet back off to use in the middle of the torque tube, then buy a large plumbing rubber washer, 1/2" fender washer, spring, and clip from a good hardware store. Just a guess, though.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all your help guys. I pulled this cable off 16 years ago when it was delivered. The driver smashed down the park brake and exploded the cable housing. I took it apart so I could get it off the truck and have no idea what I did with that stuff!

Hey Mud,

There is supposed to be a metal "tab" with two holes in it that goes to the front side of the horseshoe.

My spring measures 9 1/4" off of the car. I imagine it started at 9".

Also, that nut to the rear of the cable pulling "horseshoe" is about 3/4".

You may want to talk to Ken Reeves, sounds like you were missing a lot. ;)

post-32260-143138389659_thumb.jpg

post-32260-143138389663_thumb.jpg